Can someone please give me precise details on placing of the right hand in order to play and mute lower strings.

What part of the hand should touch the strings?
Should hand be placed heavily on strings or floating?
Angled (or straight down on lowest string)?
Wrist or arm to change strings?

I have been trying different combinations, but I still get nasty clunks when taking fingers of lower strings.

Please give me a precise detailed explanation, I cannot find this information anywhere on the web.

Thanks in advance.
Just practice it alot and you will evolve you'r own style.. can't say that there is "one right position" to place your hand...

I place the palm of my hand slightly on strings just near the bridge of your guitar.. Hold the pick as loose as possible and just practice.. In the beginning your hand will be a bit soar but when you just practice it every day youll be rocking mutes in no time ;D
What part of the hand should touch the strings?
The side of your hand near the pinky (the bit you use to palm mute) can touch the strings. Also the bulky bit at the bottom of your thumb can be used to help mute the lower strings when playing on a high string.

Should hand be placed heavily on strings or floating?
Either floating or placed lightly on the strings for muting purposes.

Angled (or straight down on lowest string)?
Your picking should be the same on all strings, I tend to have my pick slightly angled.

Wrist or arm to change strings?
A bit of both really, if you're playing something fast that moves between the B and E strings for example you'd just use your wrist for the movement. But if you were switching from the high E to the low E your arm would do the movement. You've got to make your own observations on when to use the arm but your essential goal with arm movement is to maintain the same picking method across all strings. Picking should come from the wrist.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Barendino
Just practice it alot and you will evolve you'r own style.. can't say that there is "one right position" to place your hand...

I place the palm of my hand slightly on strings just near the bridge of your guitar.. Hold the pick as loose as possible and just practice.. In the beginning your hand will be a bit soar but when you just practice it every day youll be rocking mutes in no time ;D

Thanks guys. Still not alot of help to me.

I am fast I can play 16th notes at 180bpm, my fingers are not the problem.
But I just can't master muting lower strings all the time. Example: The fade to black outo solo, solo is no problem. But I am still getting nasty clunks during the triplet run. I'll keeping practicing. I have never had any formal training in this stuff, so I am just winging it.
I have been trying different combinations, but I still get nasty clunks when taking fingers of lower strings.

Then your problem is that you aren't releasing your fingers correctly. You shouldn't make any noise taking fingers off strings, muting or not.

And my muting vid should probably cover your questions. Always check the sticky before posting.
this might be the same question but when playing at higher tempos where there isn't any muting required is it ok if your hand rests on the bridge? Should it be floating or would that be fine? I find my hand resting on the bridge but not pushing it or muting any strings when i don't need to mute but i want to move away from that if it is a bad habbit
I'm so glad someone made this thread, cuz I was about to make a similar one. (this is why I've come to love this forum, whatever concern you currently have, you're bound to find a thread about it already made over here)

My problem is slightly different tho. Ever since I started "tucking in my pinky" on my picking hand (and I'm not forcefully tucking it in or anything, but rather my hand is completely relaxed now when I pick as FP suggested), I've been noticing my wrist is straining when attempting to play 2 riffs in particular. Everything else I play is fine and normal, no pain or strain whatsoever. Here are some observations I've made so far:
1. I'm alternate picking these 2 riffs
2. The angle I hold my pick doesn't change
3. I'm not holding my pick very tight, my grip is relaxed
4. I'm not clenching my fist, it's fairly relaxed
5. My arm doesn't do any moving at all, it's only my wrist that's doing the picking
6. Sometimes (not always) if I go wash my hands in really hot water and come back to attempt the same 2 riffs, my wrist doesn't strain anymore
7. The straining starts like within 5 seconds of me playing this riff, even tho I've warmed up for a good 20 minutes prior to starting.
8. This straining occurs whether I'm playing slow or fast.

Is there something I could be missing? I've tried experimenting with different right arm positions, but after watching Free Power's posture video again, I'm pretty sure my arm is in the right posture. Any thoughts of what I could be doing wrong?
Last edited by Moonshield17 at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by Moonshield17
I'm so glad someone made this thread, cuz I was about to make a similar one. (this is why I've come to love this forum, whatever concern you currently have, you're bound to find a thread about it already made over here)

My problem is slightly different tho. Ever since I started "tucking in my pinky" on my picking hand (and I'm not forcefully tucking it in or anything, but rather my hand is completely relaxed now when I pick as FP suggested), I've been noticing my wrist is straining when attempting to play 2 riffs in particular. Everything else I play is fine and normal, no pain or strain whatsoever. Here are some observations I've made so far:
1. I'm alternate picking these 2 riffs
2. The angle I hold my pick doesn't change
3. I'm not holding my pick very tight, my grip is relaxed
4. I'm not clenching my fist, it's fairly relaxed
5. My arm doesn't do any moving at all, it's only my wrist that's doing the picking
6. Sometimes (not always) if I go wash my hands in really hot water and come back to attempt the same 2 riffs, my wrist doesn't strain anymore
7. The straining starts like within 5 seconds of me playing this riff, even tho I've warmed up for a good 20 minutes prior to starting.
8. This straining occurs whether I'm playing slow or fast.

Is there something I could be missing? I've tried experimenting with different right arm positions, but after watching Free Power's posture video again, I'm pretty sure my arm is in the right posture. Any thoughts of what I could be doing wrong?

Knowing the two riffs would be a help here.
Have you tried playing other riffs that use the same strings? Like for example if the riff you have difficulty with switches back and forth from the G to the A string, try playing another riff that does the same.
In regards to your 5th point: it is okay to move your arm, just not to pick with it. For instance you'd be doing yourself no favours if you played a riff that skips between the low E and the B and high E (I'm thinking of Are You Dead Yet? here) using only your wrist to perform the movement. Arm movement is used to maintain a consistent picking position for your wrist. Is your wrist at a comfortable angle when you're playing the problematical riff?
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Thanks for the quote, Aleksi, I used it well. I think.

1. Good, keep practicing.
2. You can change the angle, don't strain yourself that much, just play the notes right. Like I said, keep practicing.
3. Your grip on the pick doesn't really matter, as long as you play it right and practice it enough times. Some ways are easier, I think my way's easiest for me, obviously so I play it well. And I know I do, so I play it even better.
4. You'll get used to anything, just bear the strain if you want.
5. Good, that's how you're SUPPOSED to pick. Good job.
6. The extra strain means that your overexerting yourself. You can look at this in a good manner, or a bad one. Just keep at it!
7. Whoa now, that doesn't sound good. Find the right way and stop straining yourself the way beginners do, you're not a beginner anymore, you're LEARNING. Right?
8. Refer to 6; KEEP AT IT, Just like I keep saying this. I want to learn something, no matter what it is. LEARN.

And your arm might be at the right position for you, but not for everyone. FIND YOUR NICHE. I'm sure you can, I do. You can do anything I can do, probably better. Just SET YOUR MIND TO IT.
There are very few things to remember about your picking hand...

1.) Play without any tension.
2.) Pick from the wrist.
3.) Movement from string to string is facilitated with elbow and wrist movement in a minimalistic fashion.
4.) Following the above, play/pick with as little movement as possible.
5.) Never anchor.

That's it. What your picking hand looks like, assuming you follow the above, matters not at all.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Last edited by plainsight at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by Freepower
What are the riffs? Tabs?

It's the same riff that I was concerned about regarding my angled wrist. When I used to play it before with my pinky sticking out on my picking hand, I never felt this strain.

D||-----------------------------------------------|
A||-----------------------------------------------|
F||-----------------------------------------------|
C||--9-------10-------9-------10-------9----10----|
G||----7--7-----7--7----7--7-----7--7----7-----7--|
D||-----------------------------------------------|

PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
-----------------------------------------------|
--9-------10-------9-------10-------9----10----|
----8--8-----8--8----8--8-----8--8----10----10-|

--9-------10-------9-------10-------9----10----|
----7--7-----7--7----7--7-----7--7----7-----7--|

PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
----------------------------------------------------------|
--9-------10-------9----10----9-------10-------9----10----|
----8--8-----8--8----8-----8----10-10----10-10---10----10-|

Quote by Aleksi
Knowing the two riffs would be a help here.
Have you tried playing other riffs that use the same strings? Like for example if the riff you have difficulty with switches back and forth from the G to the A string, try playing another riff that does the same.

Here's the funny thing...yes I have tried playing something else that is exactly like this riff, and there's no strain! The only difference is that it's one step lower. Like later on in the song, while the lead guitar solos, the backing guitar plays this

--------------------------------------------|
--7-------8-------7-------8-------7----8----|
----5--5----5--5----5--5----5--5----5----5--|

--7-------8-------7-------8-------7----8----|
----6--6----6--6----6--6----6--6----8----8--|

My picking hand has no problem with this one, and yet it's the same exact riff, but just lower on the fretboard. Makes no sense...

In regards to your 5th point: it is okay to move your arm, just not to pick with it. For instance you'd be doing yourself no favours if you played a riff that skips between the low E and the B and high E (I'm thinking of Are You Dead Yet? here) using only your wrist to perform the movement. Arm movement is used to maintain a consistent picking position for your wrist. Is your wrist at a comfortable angle when you're playing the problematical riff?

Oh definitely, I do use my arm to move my wrist when moving from, let's say the high E string to the A string. Or doing runs that start on the high E and end on the D string. But when I'm moving just between 2 strings, there's no arm movement involved.

As for my wrist being at a comfortable angle when playing this particular riff, I think so, yes. Like I said, it seems to be in the "right" and comfortable posture.
It's the same riff that I was concerned about regarding my angled wrist. When I used to play it before with my pinky sticking out on my picking hand, I never felt this strain.

Try it with pinky out again - if it doesn't strain then, you're doing something weird when you bring the pinky in. In fact, the whole situation's really weird. Try moving it up and down the fretboard a bit.

I think you'll have to figure this one out yourself.
Quote by Freepower
Try it with pinky out again - if it doesn't strain then, you're doing something weird when you bring the pinky in. In fact, the whole situation's really weird. Try moving it up and down the fretboard a bit.

I think you'll have to figure this one out yourself.

I have analyzed my pinky very carefully actually. Because when I first noticed the strain, the first thing I knew to check was the pinky since that was the only thing that I had changed. And it's weird cuz my pinky is positioned the same way (not sticking out) when I play other things, and no strain.

I'm talking to Aleksi right now tho, and he says it could be that I'm putting too much pressure for palm muting. So I'm gonna experiment with that. But thanks Daniel