Hi,
I noticed my tone isn't really all that.
Now I play a hughes and kettner tube 50 and I would like a little more definition in my tone. It doesn't have a lot of gain, so it turn it up all the way and then it loses definition, now can I do anything about this or would you advice me to buy a new amp?
cheers
Hendrik
Well a whole variety of pedals can spice it up, but if you don't like your tone in general consider investing in a new amp... You're tone is like a big fat cake : You can pile sprinkles and chocolate sauce on, but if you don't like coconut and it'sa coconut cake, you'll end not liking it no matter how many sprinkles you put on...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Dream Floyd
Well a whole variety of pedals can spice it up, but if you don't like your tone in general consider investing in a new amp... You're tone is like a big fat cake : You can pile sprinkles and chocolate sauce on, but if you don't like coconut and it'sa coconut cake, you'll end not liking it no matter how many sprinkles you put on...

Hehe, never thought anyone could compare a cake and an amp so nicely, well, I tried lots of OD's, distortions and I have some fx, but it's still like meh. I play a lot of genre and I gig with a lot of bands and my main band is a post-rock/sludge band.
I think I can save up to something like 700eu and I already have a 1960BV cab, I have a gibby les paul and a fender tele with little 59 and some Fx, what do you suggest?
Could you give me a band (guitarist) tone that you want, to help me a bit?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by henis
Hi,
I noticed my tone isn't really all that.
Now I play a hughes and kettner tube 50 and I would like a little more definition in my tone. It doesn't have a lot of gain, so it turn it up all the way and then it loses definition, now can I do anything about this or would you advice me to buy a new amp?
cheers
Hendrik

Have you tried experimenting with your tone controls?? Alot of people I have found will go out and buy new guitars, effects and amps and never think about the simple tweeking of bass mids and trebs. Try modifying each individually. I like high mids to get me cutting through in the mix. And avoid using too much bass or it just gets muddy. Well, in my opinion anyway, everyones styles require different sets.
Well, bands I really like the tone of are isis and tool for the heavy channel, cult of luna type of sounds for the chrunch and typical post-rock cleans like mogwai and explosions in the sky. I already tweaked a lot with the controls, the bass is never over 12o' clock and the mids are alway around 4, treble to. I would also like to mention I play in drop C tuning in my band, there are lots of metal amps and other amps that sound good in normal tuning but get really loose and undefined in low tunings.
Maybe wind the mids back to 1 o'clock and wind the highs back to 2 o'clock?

Also as you drop your tuning, you can expect less clarity. Maybe up your string gauge?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Tone

Ok, funsies aside, are you having problem with definition in the bedroom, or mixed with the band?

If it's only by your lonesome, then I agree with Dream Floyd, anything you try is going to be sprinkles. Band aids on a hatchet wound.
It wouldn't shock me on the Gibby, but even on the Tele?!?!

Dropping bass and mid isn't really going to help you with drop C.
You need something along the lines of a presence contol, or EQ shift.

What gauge of string are you using?
Drop C with 9's isn't going to work no matter what...
Quote by Rutch
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Tone

Ok, funsies aside, are you having problem with definition in the bedroom, or mixed with the band?

If it's only by your lonesome, then I agree with Dream Floyd, anything you try is going to be sprinkles. Band aids on a hatchet wound.
It wouldn't shock me on the Gibby, but even on the Tele?!?!

Dropping bass and mid isn't really going to help you with drop C.
You need something along the lines of a presence contol, or EQ shift.

What gauge of string are you using?
Drop C with 9's isn't going to work no matter what...

bad tone with a gibby? come on now. i agree with the other stuff though.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
bad tone with a gibby? come on now. i agree with the other stuff though.

Hey, I never said BAD!!!

But I will admit that with the wrong settings, there can be a touch too much mud...
tighten up your amp with od, get an eq in the loop, or invest in a compressor

could also be the pickup, speaker voicing, and/or cab(or combo) dimension

lots of variables at play here
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.