Howdy,

I am having trouble with one of my guitars getting the action down nice and low for shredding. It's a cheapo model "Aria", rip off of the basic Jackson Shredder Strat type. I have lowered the screws on the bridge down as far as they will go, ... so it seems the bridge just physically won't go any lower, but the action is stuck at about 4 or 5 mm

I have another guitar, and i've got the action down to about 3mm which feels nice to shred on, but this one feels crap. Do i need to mess with the truss rod? I'm noob to setting a guitar up, and i can't afford to have it set up from begining, it's not cost effective either for what i paid for it.

This is what it looks like:

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Jonashred at Dec 5, 2009,
im not positive about this but that bridge should be level with the guitar body
'
making it level would probably lower the action
That’s how we’ll know. This is not a test, oh no
This is cardiac arrest

Of a world too proud to admit our mistakes
We're crashing into the ground as all fall from grace
Last edited by Demonic82 at Dec 3, 2009,
It looks like your bridge is sticking up in the air. Have you tried increasing the spring tension?
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
more spring tension.

that should pull that bridge down, and make it a little more lower.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Umm judging by the picture a good start would be to even the tremolo, it's not supposed to be angled like that, but paraller to the body. You'll need to adjust the spring tension from the screws on the back of the tremolo cavity, in this case, tighter. When you've tightened them a bit, retune your guitar, and see if the tremolo goes paraller with the body, if not, you'll need to do it again until it's settled.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
1. Make sure your neck is straight. (you want very slight bow forward)
2. The bridge shoult not be at that angle. IT should be parallel to the body (as everyone else said). What gauge strings are you using? A floating bridge is a tug-of-war between the strings and the trem springs. The strings are winning and it isn't pretty! You need more pull from the trem springs. Try adding another.
3. Adjust the bridge screws.
Shit sorry,

THAT IS NOT MY GUITAR... should have made that clear. The bridge is level , i am not a complete retard, i just copied the pics from image search. Please give other thoughts though
Try to get your action level with the body, it is a lot better that way
Neonkovala
Gear:

Guitar: Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Piano: Yamaha EA

Microphone: CAD U37
If the bridge is level the saddle adjuster screws are as low as they go. How is the action at the nut end? If the nut is set right the next step is to shim the neck to increase the angle.
Quote by Tackleberry
If the bridge is level the saddle adjuster screws are as low as they go. How is the action at the nut end? If the nut is set right the next step is to shim the neck to increase the angle.

The nut end looks good to me, about 1 mm off the fingerboard, or half mm above the first fret, but at the base of the neck it's terrible. It need to drop down 2-3 mm more. I repeat, my bridge is flat level horizontal and all screws are down as far as they go.

What do you mean shim the neck?
Last edited by Jonashred at Dec 3, 2009,
^ you basically place something in your neck pocket to give it more (or less i guess) of an angle to the body. idk really how to do it, but yea
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
STOP. hammertime!

its quite posible that the bridge posts have slowly pulled up over time, you might want to hammer them back in.

ohh and if you are gonna do that, take of the strings and bridge. lol.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Last edited by metal-matt at Dec 3, 2009,
There are various ways to shim a neck. Ive seen small pieces of plastic straps used to secure boxes as shims, squier. Ive used metal feeler gauges cut to fit, more precision. Some guitars, fender, have a screw inside the heel to adjust angle. No reason something of the sort couldnt be fitted.

You may want to have a look at the neck pocket first. Ive seen some pretty sloppily finished pockets. Where a ridge of paint on the edge can screw up the angle. Sometimes just dressing the pocket with a small block of wood and sand paper can make a difference.
Ok, to make things easier i took some pics of the issue. Please scroll to the top to see them.

I have 2 guitars, one has pretty good low action (just under 3mm), but this black one is shite. As you can see, the bridge is more or less flat (i realise it's sticking up a little, but this is not the problem - i've tested). So I decided to stick the guitars on a level table, using a completely level ruler on its side, and stick them on the body (The guitar body is more or less totally flat on both my guitars) and see how the ruler looks going down from the base of the neck. I am no expert, but this seemed like a fairly rationale thing todo?

I measured both the good and bad guitars for comparison at the base of the neck from the body, and they virtually identical. So then i put that ruler flat on its side, and followed the markers/numbers down the side of the fingerboard. On the good guitar, the numbers were more or less level the way down, but as you can see from the pics on this black guitar, the numbers start above the fretboard, and sink in half way down!!!

I hope this helps anyone considering feedback, as i'm not sure what todo
Lookin at the pics its pretty easy to tell the one guitar has a much different angle than the other. If you get that neck closer to level with the body the action be lower. Ideally you want it to still have a little bit of adjustment on the saddles/bridge with the action where you want it.

Like I said your gonna have to take it apart and look at the pocket. It could be as simple as a glob of paint at the edge of the pocket screwing up that angle. Or could be they just didnt cut it correct. Its fixable, many just bend over business cards and insert them under the heel to change the angle.
Thanks a lot Tackleberry & guys. Problem solved ! I decided to be brave and have a go myself, and iIt was indeed the neck pocket issue. Only took me hours of unscrewing and rescrewing adjustments to get it right , no wonder the local shop guy charges so much to set up a guitar properly

Got it down even lower than the good one to about 2.4mm now
Maybe I'm being a dildo, but 3mm and 2.4mm don't sound like low actions to me. I have my guitars at pretty much 2mm, and even that feels high.
^^^Not every guitar can have a super low action. Alot of variables go into it. My MIA strat with some work is really low compared to my neck thru.

TS glad we could help.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Maybe I'm being a dildo, but 3mm and 2.4mm don't sound like low actions to me. I have my guitars at pretty much 2mm, and even that feels high.

As i understand it, the action is measured from the 12th, the space between the fretboard and the string.

I am no expert, but i'd say you are measuring it wrong, lower than 2mm is surely pretty much impossible
Quote by Jonashred
As i understand it, the action is measured from the 12th, the space between the fretboard and the string.

I am no expert, but i'd say you are measuring it wrong, lower than 2mm is surely pretty much impossible

there's the problem, I believe most people measure from the crown of the fret to the bottom of the string, you're measuring all the way from the board. the reason people measure from the fret is because of differences in fret height. there are different fret sizes.

edit: I just checked my guitar, and it's a little bit less than 2mm. I can't find my feeler gauge, so it's not exact, but I'd guess it's about 1.8 mm at the 12th fret
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 6, 2009,
You can also unscrew the neck, place some cardboard under it and put it back. That solved my problems when i found out that my bridge was so crappy if i lowered it even a milimeter it would go down al the way.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Well if it's measured OFF the fret at the 12th, i have 1.6mm on the better guitar, and on the black one i just fixed... 1.3ish !
mine got around 1.7mm between the top of 12th fret and the bottom of the 6E, is mine ok?
tired of finger speed exercise and turned into slow blues improvisation lately
Quote by molala2
mine got around 1.7mm between the top of 12th fret and the bottom of the 6E, is mine ok?

is it ok for you?

you're the only one who can tell us
if it feels fine, then..yeah, it's fine. if it seems pretty high, then you might be able to get it a little lower

my strat's right around 1.7, too, and it's fine for me.

and since everyones posting what their lowest is, I'll go ahead and be proud of my dinky's action. right at 1mm