Okay so im a pretty huge metal fan and most of what i play revolves around modern day metal, death metal and hardcore, Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage, Whitechapel,, I am trying to get the most Amazing, Clear, and Brutal tone i can possibly get, Now my Current Set up is nothing to special I have A Bc Rich warlock (bronze series :p) but last year i Slapped An Emg 81 and an Emg 85 into that baby and dont regret it one bit! I dont have a Stack but what i do have is the 50 watt Valvetronix tube amp with the 2 speakers, this amp has served me very well for around 2 years now I even have played a few shows with it with a band i have, It is suprisngly loud and has Suprisngly good metal tone when i turn it to the Nu metal distortion. Now I have read in many places online that Both guitarists in Killswitch Engage use the maxon OD808 and their tone is absolutley ungodly both are very good guitarists Ive even seen them on the main stage at mayhem fest and they were amazing suchamazing tone and talent, i know they use mesa boogie triple recs and what not and there is no way in hell im affording that at this point in my life, Im just wondering if the Maxon OD808 would be a good choice for me to really help step up my tone and really take it over the edge, i want my palm mutes to punch you in the FACE! My amp already has a built in adustable noise suppressor and i think that would be good enough to cancel any extra sound? any help is much appreciated =]! I want people to envy my brutal amazing tone! anybody who has had any experience with this pedal please help me out =]
Last edited by hxckid666 at Dec 3, 2009,
The Maxon OD808 is a overdrive pedal. It will sound great with a tube amp and helps create tube distortion and drive the amp hotter. However, It will probably not shape up your tone.

What I suggest is that you look into a Bugera 6260. That would probably satisfy your needs.

EDIT: Yes, I suggest a new amp. I got the Boss SD-1 doing the Overdriving work for my randall. Works great. Love it. It won't make your amp better by any way though.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Last edited by phenom1991 at Dec 3, 2009,
A Tubescreamer isn't going to do much for your amp. The bands you listed use it too boost amps like Splawn, 6505s, etc...its not going to do much for your VOX. Best thing you could do would be to get an amp first...then get an OD.
What eyebanez said. Also, AFAIK the Valvetronix is NOT tube.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Quote by phenom1991
What eyebanez said. Also, AFAIK the Valvetronix is NOT tube.

Its got a preamp tube...but its not really a 'tube' amp. Great practice amps...but not really suited for TS's playing styles imo.

EDIT:
If I were you, I'd try selling your amp. They go for $350 new...so you might be able to get $200 out of it. Then take that money, add it to the ~$120 that you were going to spend on the Maxon...and buy a new amp. Look at Bugeras, used Peaveys, B-52 AT-series, etc. They will get you closer to what you want...and you might not even need the OD.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 3, 2009,
the tube is a gimmick in the amp, but the valve reactor technology isnt. best modeling amp out there IMO, but it doesnt work well with pedals.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by DeftRed
both adam D and joel stroetzel use splawn nitros

Maybe they do this week but I'm sure by next week they will have moved on to something else. Those two guys go through amps more than Matrixclaw