Hi,

What would be nice pick-ups for in the bridge position of a squier affinity? I mostly play sum 41, the swellers sometimes a little metal and every now and then blues.

Thanks in advance

* edit I'd rather want a single coil or a mini humbucker so I don't have to recut the pickguard.
I know this is a terribly overasked question, but what amp do you have?

if you've got a not so great practice amp, you won't be doing much by changing the pickup(s)

if you've got a decent amp, though, you may want to look into a humbucker, or a single-sized humbucker if you're only planning on replacing the bridge pickup.
a decent bridge humbucker would get you into the punk/pop-punk/metal tones, and the neck and middle single coils could be used for cleaner stuff

but yeah.. what amp?

edit: didnt see your edit till I posted. so a mini humbucker of some kind would be what to look at, but..amp?
Quote by james4
I know this is a terribly overasked question, but what amp do you have?

if you've got a not so great practice amp, you won't be doing much by changing the pickup(s)

if you've got a decent amp, though, you may want to look into a humbucker, or a single-sized humbucker if you're only planning on replacing the bridge pickup.
a decent bridge humbucker would get you into the punk/pop-punk/metal tones, and the neck and middle single coils could be used for cleaner stuff

but yeah.. what amp?

edit: didnt see your edit till I posted. so a mini humbucker of some kind would be what to look at, but..amp?

i've got a blackheart little Giant and I also have a Zoom G9.2 TT so that's okay.....
But what single-sized humbucker would be nice for my music?
whats your buget?

something like the seymour duncan hotrails might be what you're looking for.
if you wanted something cheaper, www.guitarfetish.com has some lower-priced pickups. they're really good for the price, but you probably won't be as impressed with them as you would the SD's

I think guitarfetish's single-sized humbucker is called the lil killer, or something like that
Last edited by james4 at Dec 3, 2009,
I could buy the seymour duncan but then I will have to wait with buying the middle and neck position... But that will be okay I think
Why not just save the money and buy a Fender ?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Why not just save the money and buy a Fender ?

I just want to have a project for the holidays and also want to learn something more about the instrument I am playing and if I upgrade it I will spend around 350? The cheapest fender is 450 I think.... So I rather go for my own specifications without the brand name on it.
If I go for the GFS pick-ups what would be good to put in the bridge, middle and neck position? I would like to have my guitar as versatile as possible.... I want have nice cleans and also want to get nice distortion.
^maybe the lil killer in the bridge, with the neck and middle singlecoils from here?

or, these ones are supposed to be pretty good. maybe the NEO7 or NEO9?

take a look around the single coil section... I haven't heard reviews on all the pickups there, but read the descriptions, and they should get you closer to choosing one.

or, you could always just go with a set of 3 lil killers?
something cool in the neck, something warm in the middle and something hot at the bridge.

Lil' Killers are sorta like hot rails i think. you can get like a set of 3, all calibrated(what ever that means) for like 60ish bucks i think.
Quote by james4
^maybe the lil killer in the bridge, with the neck and middle singlecoils from here?

or, these ones are supposed to be pretty good. maybe the NEO7 or NEO9?

take a look around the single coil section... I haven't heard reviews on all the pickups there, but read the descriptions, and they should get you closer to choosing one.

or, you could always just go with a set of 3 lil killers?

If you take 3 lil killers wouldn't you get all the pick-ups to distort?
Quote by niels-uiterwaal

What?

I have the Tele version of the Lil' Killers (Lil' Punchers) and they're pretty good. Nice clean tone and can take gain ok depending on which you get. I got the Modern Vintage set.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
What?

I have the Tele version of the Lil' Killers (Lil' Punchers) and they're pretty good. Nice clean tone and can take gain ok depending on which you get. I got the Modern Vintage set.

I wanted to know if they do good cleans and if they have a nice gain when needed if you have all the positions a lil killer
If you want some really awesome single coils you can contact Dimarzio custom shop and they will make you three single coil pickups with 12 pole peices each for $300 already installed in a pickguard with the pots and switch. I played a guitar with those pickups in it, was pure sex. If I ever get a Fender Strat thats the pickups I'm going to put in it..
Quote by niels-uiterwaal

you could make them distort if you want..

but your playing dynamics make a big difference in that, too

the lil killers are probably all hotter than the single coils you'd get, but that doesnt mean they'll automatically distort or anything.
playing softer, or rolling down the volume a bit on your guitar'll clean it up a bit
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
I wanted to know if they do good cleans and if they have a nice gain when needed if you have all the positions a lil killer

You worded it strangely. My Tele gets great cleans for a $50 dollar set. It handles gain ok. I can't get a really good Metal tone but it can take some lighter Metal. I guess you could mix and match and get a GFS and a Duncan. It would come out around $100 and you'd have nice tone.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls