i'm looking at getting the extension cabinet for my vc30

i can either get the 1x12 or 2x10

i'm sure this question is thrown around a lot but what's the difference in sound, tone, volume etc? is it worth spending the extra money (only like 30 quid i know but i'm poor and if there's no difference then there's no point) on the 210 or is the 112 good enough? how should i decide which to get?

x
What VC30 do you have? 112 or 210?

Anyway I'd say to first replace the stock speaker with a Celestion G12H, then put one of them in a 112 if you wanted an extension cabinet. Not really worth it, you'll be loud enough for gigs anyway.

I want a G12H for mine. Best speaker for it, the stock Seventy80 is too harsh and the low end's too loose.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I wouldnt bother getting a laney cab. The stock speakers are pretty meh.

Maybe the orange 112, or framus 212.

I don't knob much about cabs though, I just know i dislike my vc30s speaker and wouldn't pay for another one underneath it.
my current one is a 112. i don't really have a problem with the seventy80 but then i'm no expert, and a lot of people tell me it's no good.

i thought about an orange but only as an extension cab and then wouldnt the sounds be a little mismatched?
depends, is the internal speaker disconnected when you use an extension cab?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think the internal speaker is still connected.

Which is why I thought the orange, alot more bottom end and smoothness which the laney lacks a bit.

However it depends if its the V30 one or the G12K.
aye. g12h + v30 is meant to be a nice combo (if he upgraded his laney), but if you aren't careful, you're throwing a lot of money at a £300-£400 amp, kind of thing. That's what I'd be wary of.

though i guess you could use the extension speaker cab with any future amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the internal speaker is connected. obviously i can disconnect it but i think the recommendation is that i don't or i'll risk "damaging the VC30’s output transformer" (i don't know what that means).

does this mean i can never just use the vc 30 as just a head for a different cab?

also i'm not that bothered about replacing the speaker, but if i did buy a cab with different speakers (not seventy80s) and used both at the same time, would the difference in sound be significant?
ok i got that wrong, its "In use your VC30 should always have a
speaker connected otherwise you risk damaging the VC30’s output transformer." so i guess its just as long as SOMETHING is connected.

SO, my questions still stand, 1. could i use just the head of the vc30 as a head for a different cab, and if so would i plug that cab into the original slot (where the internal speaker is currently plugged in) or into the extension slot and just unplug the internal speaker?

and 2. because i don't want to change the speaker in my amp, is it stupid to use a cab with different speakers (edit: for example, the celestion vintage 30 in an orange 112) as an extension or will it sound ok?

sorry about all the questions i've never bothered trying to understand amps before
Last edited by taco_salad at Dec 3, 2009,
is the vc30 speaker hardwired in, or on a jack?

mixing speakers can supposedly (i've never tried it) sound really good, but you have to find ones which complement each other. and you want their efficiencies to be fairly close, or one will drown out the other.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?