I have an acoustic bass with a wheel bridge. Similar to this one:

Due to a crack in the bridge, I'd like to change it. But, from what i know, you're not supposed to take all the strings off the bass at once. Then how do I get my new bridge in place?
Do it quickly. It should be fine, provided you don't leave it stringless for too long.

stratkat
It's not stringless at the moment. Despite the crack, the strings are in place and the thing's not really falling apart: just asking as to how you guys replace the bridge and if there's any way to do it without taking all the strings off at once.
Quote by edgarvanburen
I have an acoustic bass with a wheel bridge. Similar to this one:
Due to a crack in the bridge, I'd like to change it. But, from what i know, you're not supposed to take all the strings off the bass at once. Then how do I get my new bridge in place?

One reason to not take all the strings off would be to keep pressure on the top so the sound post doesn't fall. Double basses (upright), cellos, violins etc. have sound posts; your arch top more than likely does not (yes, I could be wrong).
Another reason would be so the bridge position doesn't shift, an important factor for DB's, cellos... since the left foot of the bridge is aligned with the sound post.
In your situation, although you could probably get away with taking pressure off the top, since the bass is fretted (assuming), the bridge is directly tied in to your intonation. My assumptions here are based solely on observations made of my own arch top ABG (no sound post, non adjustable bridge).
My suggestion would be to contact the manufacturer. See if you can, 1) get an OEM replacement bridge and 2) proper procedure for replacement. They'll tell you if it's ok to remove all the strings. Maybe the replacement bridge has some kind of placement guide. Or you may have to make some pencil marks to get the bridge in the right place.