Page 1 of 4
So, I'm getting kind of sick and tired of the EMG hate bandwagon. And just to clarify, I also do not like the EMG is awesome bandwagon.

Now, I hear this all over the place about how EMGs suck, and they're cold. Now, EMGs are typically played for metal, so wouldn't you want a cold tone, to a certain degree? And that's just for the 81 and 85. However, the EMG 60 is a very warm, nice sounding pickup, and its cleans are worlds apart from the 81 and 85.

And another thing; has it occurred to anyone that EMGs have been used/are being used for a very, VERY large amount of metal albums and live performances? If you think and artists tone is good, and he uses EMGs, why would you diss them?

I know they're not the best pickups, but I do know that they certainly aren't horrible pickups. Sure, BareKnuckles are better, and Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio passives are just as good, and sometimes better depending on your setup and what sound you're going for.

My point is, I hate the bandwagon that EMGs are "OMGz they r teh suckz!", just as much as I hate the "OMGz, they r teh awesumz!"

/rant

Now, discuss how you feel about this.
I acutally like EMG's, I have an EMG 81 81 set up on my strat and it gets pertty decent clean tones. The key with EMG's is EQing them properly with mids and highs. Most people like the brutals and like to scoop the mids, which take all warmth out of EMG's, then they use stupid amounts of gain, which futher detach from the tone they have. All pickups sound pertty much the same when you run your gain at 11, you can't differanciate through all the hum and gain. And the volume and tone knob help alot when your trying to pull tones other than metal out of EMG's. I guess the bandwagon hate is due to that alot of people use them so thearfore they must be a bandwagon thing. Plus, alot of noobs think that if they get EMG's they will instantly sound better, which they dont, because its takes some intelligence to EQ them in right.

Barenuckles are better pickups by far, but cost alot more by far. So for the price, and reliability, and tone, EMG's in my opinion are a great pickup.
I didn't even know there was a hate wagon for them. I personally think there really good pick-ups, i wouldn't use them because i don't play metal all the time but if i could afford another guitar which i was going to use just for metal i would get EMGs
HAVE A NICE DAY!
I love my 81/85
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
the passives are the ones that generally get the hate. I've only played actives (which i liked) but i haven't seen/played the Alexi Sig Passives so i dunno what those sound like, but the other passives aren't usually the greatest things out.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I haven't played EMG's so I'm pretty much neutral, but I still have a bias against them and will probably never touch them. Basically because whenever I see them they're on the ugliest metal guitars which just make me want to vomit. Is playing the ugliest guitar possible a requirement for being hardcore or something?
One persons opinion becomes a whole bandwagon for everyone to jump on here, personally, I have yet to see what they actually sound like.
Quote by KurdtStaley
I haven't played EMG's so I'm pretty much neutral, but I still have a bias against them and will probably never touch them. Basically because whenever I see them they're on the ugliest metal guitars which just make me want to vomit. Is playing the ugliest guitar possible a requirement for being hardcore or something?

I have a few words for you: ESP Eclipse II in snow white. Now, try and tell me that's ugly

And to everyone else: I'm glad to see that there are people here who aren't being spirited away by the bandwagon, and still have an open mind about things. EMGs really aren't that bad.

I do however want to try some Bare Knuckles eventually, though.
EMGs only work well in certain guitars IMO.

Usually the guitars they come stock in are designed for them and sound good, but otherwise, they don't work too well unless they're a huge chunk of mahogany, for me at least

My biggest problem with EMGs is that as a replacement pickup, for ~$50 more, you could buy a set of brand new Bareknuckles.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've always liked the 60. One of the best pickups I've ever played honestly.

It's the 85 in the neck I've never liked.

I hear the 85 in the bridge is better, but in the neck it sounds extremely sterile to my ears.
Quote by MatrixClaw
EMGs only work well in certain guitars IMO.

Usually the guitars they come stock in are designed for them and sound good, but otherwise, they don't work too well unless they're a huge chunk of mahogany, for me at least

My biggest problem with EMGs is that as a replacement pickup, for ~$50 more, you could buy a set of brand new Bareknuckles.

I don't plan on upgrading my LTD EC-1000, but I think whatever my next guitar will be will have some BareKnuckles put in it.
I have no personal hate for EMG's myself. However, I don't like some people treat them like the end-all-be-all of guitar pickups. They just need to realize there are other, better alternatives out there.
Quote by )(yperX
I have no personal hate for EMG's myself. However, I don't like some people treat them like the end-all-be-all of guitar pickups. They just need to realize there are other, better alternatives out there.

That is exactly how I feel. Yes, they are good pickups, but not he creme of the crop. They are better than a lot of pups out there, but there also better pups than EMGs
I love my emg 81/60 in my esp.

I love emg's and always have. My old teacher had a 77 les paul custom with emg's in it and it sounded soo awesome. He got fired cause i hate classic rock i told him to lay off the classic rock riffs and he couldn't.

I wanna get another guitar with a jb/59 set-up though. I wouldn't put emgs in every guitar i own because they have their strengths and weaknesses like evry other pick up.

also too much bandwagoning on stuff that is subjective on this website.

Just like the what cab should i get.... mesa or orange ...... wtf $$$$$$$$$

what speakers should i get..... V30 v30 v30 v30 v30 blah blah sheep sheep......
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
EMGs are dull, lifeless, emotionless pieces of crap. How can you make music with that? I absolutely hate those fckers.
Quote by BobDetroit
EMGs are dull, lifeless, emotionless pieces of crap. How can you make music with that? I absolutely hate those fckers.

don't talk if your gonna be a retard.
Quote by BobDetroit

Had you, by any chance, perhaps not set the EQ properly?
I have no experience personally with them, because i play alot of rock and blues so i go more down the seymour duncan, dimarzio and bareknuckle route, but some people get great tones out of EMGs.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by BobDetroit

OUT NAO!!

i hated EMG's but now, i have gotten to like actives especially the Blackouts.

those are AWESOME
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Meh, I don't mind EMG if it comes with them standard, but if I was moding a guitars pickups I wouldn't put EMGs in.

I would put in passives, because I prefer passives.

That is my anti EMG bandwagon. Their not bad but I don't like them awfully much.
Quote by BobDetroit

Really? I guess you missed the part where I said BANDWAGON.

And I may not be able to tell you how you can make music with them, but I'm sure the nearly 70% of professional metal musicians can. Just saying.

EDIT: Not sure if that's the exact number, but I've heard numbers from 65-75 thrown around.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

OUT NAO!!

i hated EMG's but now, i have gotten to like actives especially the Blackouts.

those are AWESOME

I've always wanted to try Blackouts. How do they sound compared to an EMG 81?

Quote by Banana Wedgie
Meh, I don't mind EMG if it comes with them standard, but if I was moding a guitars pickups I wouldn't put EMGs in.

That is my anti EMG bandwagon. Their not bad but I don't like them awfully much.

That's what I'm saying. I like EMGS if they come standard, but if I'm modding, I would definitely go Bareknuckles.
Last edited by SMB13 at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by SMB13
Really? I guess you missed the part where I said BANDWAGON.

And I may not be able to tell you how you can make music with them, but I'm sure the nearly 70% of professional metal musicians can. Just saying.

EDIT: Not sure if that's the exact number, but I've heard numbers from 65-75 thrown around.

I've always wanted to try Blackouts. How do they sound compared to an EMG 81?

much more natural and clearer because they use a different preamp
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
EMG's sound good in the most specific conditions, who wants to go through that sh*t when you can get some duncans?
Quote by Banana Wedgie

Yup, pretty much.

I kinda wanna swap out the 81 in my BFG for a Blackout... but since it's painted creme, I dunno how easy that'll be to get off it Blackouts are teh shit.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
much more natural and clearer because they use a different preamp

Hmm... I may have to check them out.

It's a shame that Jackson and ESP don't have them in any of their guitars (at least, none that I've seen).

Speaking of actives, I really like T. Rockfield active pickups, if anyone has ever tried them. They sound very full, IMO.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Schecter have blackouts on a certain C1 Blackjack...

And yeah it is a shame, I wanna try them. I've tried Dave Mustaine's live wires (without knowing) and they are awesome!

Everything I heard about Schecter was good, until I tried a C-1 the other day. Just not my thing. I kept having this feeling like the overall feel of the guitar was tripping me up. Not that I'm that great of a player, but I still didn't like all that well.

I might get a Jackson Dinky at some point, and if I don't like the JB/59, I might switch them out for the Blackouts
personally i think their active single coil replacement pickups are very nice, i however can't stand the 81s, 85s, or any of their passive pickups. i however will always take passive pickups from other brands like duncans, dimarzios, gibson burstbuckers, etc over any emg pickups. i just dont like the sound.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by SMB13
. I kept having this feeling like the overall feel of the guitar was tripping me up.

I find guitars NOT made by ESP trip me up. I'm one of those ESP fan boys, 'cause I got the JH200 and I can play all this epic stuff which I just can't on my BC Rich... Kind of disappointing so I am gonna make the strings as thick as I can - with magic.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I wanna put the uber Blackouts in it now.
Last edited by Banana Wedgie at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I find guitars NOT made by ESP trip me up. I'm one of those ESP fan boys, 'cause I got the JH200 and I can play all this epic stuff which I just can't on my BC Rich... Kind of disappointing so I am gonna make the strings as thick as I can - with magic.

ESP is a great company, but they're not the ONLY company for me. I really like Jackson and ESP, as they make me feel most comfortable. Oddly enough, I also like Samick. It just flowed really well (It might be because it was my first guitar, lol)

I've also played a few Gibsons, and they're okay. Not worth all the hype. Absolutely hate Epi's though. I kind of want to try out a PRS and see if they can live up to the hype, as to where Gibson has failed.

I just wish one of those companies made a guitar with Blackouts so I could try them out
Ibanez makes the Mick Thompson guitar which has blackout.

Also, someone mentioned how all the pro's who use EMG's have great tone, yes they do but that great tone you hear is not the PU, its the amps and effects so you can't really compare EMG's to a certain sound like that. In every instance they will sound different.

I've had the 81, 85, 60, and Gilmoure Emg's at some point or another and really the only ones I actually liked were the Gilmoure sets.

Passives are my taste.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Well, my guitar came with the option of either getting EMG's or Duncans. I went with the Duncans because I'm not a huge active pickup fan, I really don't want to put batteries in my guitar because, to me its more trouble than what its worth. However, I don't hate them, they don't sound bad to me or anything it just wasn't what I was looking for.
Quote by KurdtStaley
Is playing the ugliest guitar possible a requirement for being hardcore or something?

Stereotypical hardcore band guitars are Les Pauls and SGs.

Quote by BobDetroit

Fixed.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Dec 3, 2009,
Personally, I think they are awesome for any guitar without the wood to back up a good set of passives. The cleans on those 60s are pretty nice, jazzy even.

But really, I'm not a big fan. Personal preference?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Page 1 of 4