Gear for this question:

Xaviere XV500 (Les Paul Copy) with stock pickups (Guitarfetish Crunchy PAF's)
Digitech Bad Monkey Pedal
Crate V-18 212 all tube amp- simgle channel with reverb, stock tubes (12AX7A Preamp tubes and EL84 Power Tubes)

Music I play:
Mainly AC/DC

Goal:
Get more of a Slash sound, more range of sound

QUESTION IS:
If I upgrade the pickups in my LP copy to Seymour Duncan Alinco 2 Pros, would my amp sound "thin?" I was told that this would happen by someone on the forums and was curious why and what they meant.

If the answer is yes, could the issue be fixed by replacing the tubes in the Crate, and to which tubes? The amp is quite bassy now, I have to turn the bass down to 3 as it is.

Thanks in advance, hope I have provided enough info for your wisdom.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
Don't have any experience with those pickups...but the V18 can benefit greatly from a tube swap regardless of what music you play. The stock tubes in my old V18 didn't cut it. I can't even remember what brand they were. Sovteks maybe? A set of JJ's made a world of difference in my amp.
Yes, they are Sovteks in there now. Did you swap your own tubes and about how much did it run you?
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by MoroneSaxatilis
Yes, they are Sovteks in there now. Did you swap your own tubes and about how much did it run you?

Yeah i swapped them myself, pretty straight forward since you don't have to bias the V18. They can be tricky to get to though. I think I ended up unscrewing the top vent cover to see down there and make it easier. I can't remember how much I paid for the matched set on ebay.
Excellent thanks for the info.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

I believe I have some JJ EL-84s laying around that I planned on putting in my Classic 30... but I never got around to it. If you want them, I'll sell them to you for a good price
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm tapped out for a while until after Christmas, but thanks for the offer.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by MoroneSaxatilis
I'm tapped out for a while until after Christmas, but thanks for the offer.

That's cool, just figured I'd offer them up. They're not going anywhere, and they're just collecting dust.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i don't see why it'd sound thin, if anything the alnico II pros are really warm. That being said, if you don't have enough gain currently for slash, a boost/overdrive might be a better idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?