Poll: Worth it to record 1 song?
Poll Options
View poll results: Worth it to record 1 song?
Worth it
15 37%
Not worth it
26 63%
Voters: 41.
My band currently has 1 song that's almost complete (needs lyrics). My brother's friend apparently has a studio that we might be able to use. Even if we can use it for free for a demo, would it be worth it to go and record the 1 song, or should we wait until we've got at least 5 songs to go in?
i'd have a few ready. even if you only have time to do one, you at least have options and can choose the best song. if you haven't even written lyrics yet, writing a few more tunes should be really easy. but i'd make sure you have your lyrics down and good before trying to record anything.
I'd never turn down free studio time(if it is). If you've never been in a studio, this would be a chance to see what it is like.
it wont hurt to get one song done.. plus its free.

and the experience itself is worth the time. then when you actually do go into a studio with hopes to record 3-5 songs., you'll have some know-how
If it's free go ahead. But make sure you can still do the song 100% first try, you don't want to waste his time redoing it over and over.
Quote by Alex Vik
My band currently has 1 song that's almost complete (needs lyrics). My brother's friend apparently has a studio that we might be able to use. Even if we can use it for free for a demo, would it be worth it to go and record the 1 song, or should we wait until we've got at least 5 songs to go in?

For free? how could it not be worth it?

It would be a good experience anyway.

Now, if it costs you $, I'd say to wait until you have something together.
shred is gaudy music
If it costs, wait.

If it's free, utilise the opportunity.

If i were you though, I'd forget all preconceptions you have of the studio before you enter it. It's wildly different to what you'd imagine.

And be prepared to hang around alot.
If its free, you might as well.
If you're planning on paying for studio time, wait until you have atleast 4.
While a typical demo is three songs, if you're going for free, I'd be really inclined to echo the "take it while you can" advice. If nothing else, it would be a great learning experience.

I do have a reservation on that, though. You say you have one song... but you don't even have lyrics?! You don't even have one song! According to copyright definitions, a song is lyrics and a melody, basically. That's the hardest part to write. If all you have is a bunch of riffs going over a bass line and a drum beat, you're really not ready to record - anything.

As a home-studio owner who has bands come in to record, if I offered someone free studio time, and they came in with only one song half-written, I'd be kinda p!ssed.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
As everyone else said. If it's free, use it.
If it's not, wait.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by axemanchris
I do have a reservation on that, though. You say you have one song... but you don't even have lyrics?! You don't even have one song! According to copyright definitions, a song is lyrics and a melody, basically. That's the hardest part to write. If all you have is a bunch of riffs going over a bass line and a drum beat, you're really not ready to record - anything.

As a home-studio owner who has bands come in to record, if I offered someone free studio time, and they came in with only one song half-written, I'd be kinda p!ssed.

CT

It doesn't take our lyricist long to come up with lyrics. Other than the lyrics, it's a complete song.
Quote by darthbuttchin
If i were you though, I'd forget all preconceptions you have of the studio before you enter it. It's wildly different to what you'd imagine.

How so? I've been doing a lot of reading about studios and such since I want to get my own home-studio started sometime, so I think I know a fair amount about them.
Quote by Tight Wad Hill
Do it. One demo song is better than none.

None is better than a half-assed demo.
A friend of ours was building a studio, and he let us come in to do a shake-down run. One of the best times I ever had. He was testing everything, so we could basically do whatever we wanted to do. In fact, he was trying to find all the technical problems, so the more extreme we got, the better.

We didn't really get anything useable, but we learned a great deal. Obviously you always want things to be right, but there is something about just getting in there and doing it. Even failing is a learning experience. Consider this opportunity carefully. If you want a "product", you may not get it. If you want to learn, take a shot at it. As others have said, try not to annoy anyone, and you should be fine.
Quote by Alex Vik

How so? I've been doing a lot of reading about studios and such since I want to get my own home-studio started sometime, so I think I know a fair amount about them.

I think it's one of those situations. You can read up and prepare as much as possible, but experience is what will help you understand the process.

However, the more prepared you are the better; obviously!
It's definitely worth it as long you you PUT THE WORK IN beforehand.

Any time you're going to go into the studio you need to know any songs you're going to do inside-out, back-ways and front-wards. Know the song without needing vocal cues.

It'll give you some great experience without getting out of pocket, but remember to take it seriously; your engineer will be.
404: Sig not found.
You're gonna want more songs, by the time you've completed 3-5 songs, you will have already improved the one you have now.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Go ahead and do it. It's free, and it's experience. Plus, if it ends up sounding good, you've got a demo track to throw on myspace or something.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ferrets!
Go ahead and do it. It's free, and it's experience. Plus, if it ends up sounding good, you've got a demo track to throw on myspace or something.

This. However, if it sounds so-so or worse, I wouldn't pass it out. If you're serious about the band, peoples first impression when they first hear you should blow them away. Significantly increases the odds of them checkin out your website or going to the show. If the demo is so-so, audible pitch problems, rough/no eq, and level problems, someone is likely to not check it out because really....people that have alot of experience and good quality it reflects in what they do. I'd do a solid single and give it away for free everywhere if it's good. You need to build a fanbase as quickly as possible and that means getting your QUALITY music into as many ears as possible. My $0.02
Quote by Alex Vik

What I'm saying is not about how to record and stuff. What im saying is, if you think you can just go in, record your song and be done in an hour or two, you're wrong. Properly wrong. Last time I was in the studio, I'd been in the band for over a year and we'd been playing the first song we recorded for the same amount of time and it still took about 5 hours to record that song perfectly. And we're all accomplished, experienced musicians. The sort of pre-conception that studio recording is easy and fast is the sort of thing you should get rid of.

Furthermore, until you have experienced studio recording, you have NO idea what its like. You can read till you can recite everything ever written about studios, you'll never know what it's like till you try it. So I don't think you know much about them at all to be honest.