hey guys, i wanna start posting videos of me playing guitar on the web, i have $200
budget and want a camera capable of fast movements, great quality picture and it must have a really good sound. oh and I would buy second hand but I'd prefer to buy new.
I wish I had more specific advice, but I say get the best you possibly can by cruising the photo/video section of craigslist until something good pops up. You can save up more money in the mean time and start a great new trend of actually putting up film with halfway decent quality on the internet. You'll lose a lot when compressing it to an internet friendly format, but it'll still be so much better than most of the garbage out there.

....Am I the only one that rates youtube videos poorly for bad audio and video quality?
Riiiight... videos of you playing "guitar" with fast movements and great quality picture. Is that even legal?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Any camera?

Surely if it's of you playing, sound quality matters more than the video ?
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Most likely you will not find a good quality camera that ALSO has good sound.

Not for what you want, at least.

Your best bet is something like the Kodak Zi8 Pocket Camera and then a separate microphone (like a 57).
Then you need an imput into your computer (Toneport, FIrebox, something like that) and you'll have to sync the two up.

Sorry, but that's the best advice I can give you if you want quality.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by NaivexLi
Most likely you will not find a good quality camera that ALSO has good sound.

Not for what you want, at least.

Your best bet is something like the Kodak Zi8 Pocket Camera and then a separate microphone (like a 57).
Then you need an imput into your computer (Toneport, FIrebox, something like that) and you'll have to sync the two up.

Sorry, but that's the best advice I can give you if you want quality.

+1

I do know that even if you're spending $1500 on a camera, you still want to make sure you can plug in an external mic, and then get some good external mics to go with it.
On the cheap side, you could not worry about a mic input and just record audio and video on separate devices at the same time then line them up in a computer program.
I'd also like to know this, currently I have a logitech webcam. But that only records smoothly with direct sunlight. It's really crap :\
Avril
Quote by motAlizée
I'd also like to know this, currently I have a logitech webcam. But that only records smoothly with direct sunlight. It's really crap :\

well then my idea still stands.

If you ask me, this is your best bet
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/kodak-zi8-pocket-video/4505-6500_7-33740624.html
for the camera at least.

Real high quality. I know that first hand it sometimes has trouble filming in front of very detailed designs (a friend of mine recorded himself playing in front of a very detailed tapestry that he hung up as a back drop. it made him look kind of grainy. but any ordinary background, or a plain background and it all looks beautiful, even HD)

you can actually just plug in an external mic right into it and then record it (it records to an SD card which in turn is very easy to put on a computer and then on, say, youtube)

This is great if you're going to just record yourself playing acoustic, or electric guitar (http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SM57-LC-Cardioid-Dynamic-Microphone/dp/B0000AQRST
if you're recording electric through and amp I highly recommend this mic)

However, this makes it difficult to talk if you want to sit and talk and play and everything.
Not that it's a huge deal, you'll just need 2 mics (and then you'll have to start fighting with sycing up audio tracks and video tracks)

but simple case, if you want to make videos of you just playing, then you need a camera (link above) and a mic

The camera above has a mic input so you can have the mic go straight into the camera and then you're not fighting with syncing up audio and video.

the only downfall is that you can not record audio from multiple things doing this (becuase you'll need separate mics for different things)
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Thanks for your reply, that looks pretty solid for recording!
But another problem is placing the camera, I play piano so the camera has to stand high pointing down. Any advice on that?
Avril
Quote by motAlizée
Thanks for your reply, that looks pretty solid for recording!
But another problem is placing the camera, I play piano so the camera has to stand high pointing down. Any advice on that?

a $20 tripod will take care of that, you can get one at any retail store with a camera section.