I am looking into buying a Fender Blues Junior amp. However, I have a few quesitons about the amp for anyone who has one or has experience with one. I am also slightly confused about the 'special' editions.

Which has the best sound/tone: The standard Blues Junior, The Texas Red or the Tweed NOS?

If I can't find a special edition amp would buying a standard Blues Junior and upgrading the speaker, to either the one in the Texas Red or the Tweed, give the same sound?

Does this amp take distortion pedals well?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I'm not sure about the other editions but I have the standard Blues Jr. and I couldn't be happier with it, I planned to change out the speaker when I got it too but never felt like I needed to.

It takes every pedal I've used with it very well.

Hope this helps man.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
First of all. I HIGHLY recommend going with the Tweed NOS edition. it has a much better speaker. and IMO sounds a whole lot better than the standard BJr. It takes OD pedals very very well

the texas red and NOS IRRC have the same Jensen C12N ceramic speaker. while the standard BJr has the fender "special edition" I hate it. it sound horrid. get the NOS
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
The speaker is by far the most significant difference between the standard and NOS, in my opinion.

Still, I'd get the standard, here's why:

In fact, if you do a little hunting, you can get a great speaker for the standard at a lower price than the upcharge for the NOS. Then you not only have the most significant upgrade available, you also have an extra speaker that might be used to sweeten a deal on yet another speaker, so you can flip and try different speaks to your hearts content!
wow, deja vu, saw this over at musicradar. I thought the red one had a vintage 30, and if it does, i'd avoid that one, but if I'm wrong and brett's right, then obviously my point is moot (i'm going on memory as i couldn't find one on the fender site or gak)

I'd agree with rutch's point, though- if you're willing to swap the speaker yourself, you can probably do it more cheaply with the bog standard version. Plus you'll have a choice of any speaker you want (within reason). Just as long as the special editions don't have higher quality cabinets, or you just prefer their cosmetics or something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I own the Blues Jr. Tweed. I also tried the regular Blues Jr. For my taste, the Tweed is MUCH nicer. It isn't as harsh sounding. And the Jensen speaker seems to break up easier. I'm not sure if there are any differences other than the speaker, but IF THERE ARE NOT any other differences, and you can get the exact Jensen speaker for less than the difference in price, that would be great. Then just have someone (or you) build you a cheap 3/4" wood speaker box, and you'll now have TWO 12" speakers. (will seem much louder).

Make sure you get the impedance right or you might damage your amp. (that's easily done to get the impedance right)
Last edited by axuality at Dec 3, 2009,
One sec, let me copy and paste my response from MR.

What's the point of limiting yourself to just those 2 speakers? There's a whole world of speakers to be explored.

Look here: http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=295
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Thanks for all the replies! I had a look at some other speakers for this amp (thanks to ILiKePiNeAppLeS!) and I am liking the look of The Eminence Cannibas Rex or maybe the Celestian Greenback.

Are these two speakers better than the ones in the special editions?

Which of the two produces a better sound?

Is it still possible to have the beautful clean tones?