Page 1 of 2
I spend countless hours on youtube trying to figure who the best is. There is no real answer, but there are a few that I believe are above the rest.

Jeff Loomis- i love his sound. its neoclassical but also has very dark tones to it. my favorite hands down. makes MINIMAL mistakes while playing live.

Yngwie Malmsteen- has some good stuff, a little outdated. neoclassical as well. very technical and also makes very little mistakes, especially live.

Marc Rizzo- underated by everyone in my opinion. people are sleeping on this guy but hes damn good. very unique sound , and it invokes a lot of emotion. also plays very well live.

those are the three that stick out to me. of course there is satriani (cant stand his music) and vai (better playing slow, emotional stuff) and petrucci (makes mistakes not as clean). those are probably considered the three guitar gods but i dont think their talent lies in shredding, they are better off playing inspiring technical music.

alexi laiho - i believe he was voted best shredder of 2009 or something at some metal awards. in my opinion **** no. he plays like shit live, muddy and full of errors. even on tutorial videos his hands are shaky like hes nervous or not comfortable with the guitar he uses. people like the band, and the image. Loomis/Malmsteen/Rizzo would rock this guy any day of the week.

so who do you think are the best shredders and WHY!

i prefer this...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
well in what regards?

Speed? Rusty Cooley, Chris Storey, or Kris Norris (i have videos of kris norris doing something like 16th note triplets at 200bpm, it's insane, and he doesn't use it in his songs, but he has the power to)

Feel? Buckethead, Steve Vai

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
how about guthrie govan check him out
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
yea i gotta admit Buckethead slipped my mind totally.
Paul Gilbert? i dont listen to him at all. wasnt he in some 80's band? Lol.

im waiting for someone to yell DAVE MUSTAINE FOR THE WIN!!!

lmao
Quote by KreatorRage
Alexi plays crappy because he's drunk all the time.

And he can still play better than me when I'm completely sober....
Yeah Paul Gilbert deserves that title....

I'd say Josh Middleton but I don't know if he's shreddy enough for you guys
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
ok i just youtubed paul gilbert, yea the guys sick. "scarified" by racer x. im laughing right now. nice comedic approach to music, very fun. but insane skill no doubt.
My choices for best would be John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, and Guthrie Govan.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
this should probably be in the shred forum...

either way it's stil a dumb thread, imo. too general and there are too many criteria to rate a "shredder" by.

anyways, if by "shredder" (blech i don't like that term) you mean most technical then it would probably have to be michael angel batio, shawn lane, guthrie govan, rusty cooley, paul gilbert, and buckethead. in no particular order
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
its a tie between malmsteen and alexi. malmsteen focuses less on rhythm but more upon scales and lead and wide vibrato. wheras alexi is the same but adds in rhythm and frequent use of the whammy bar.
I am tired of seeing Buckethead. jesus. Buckethead isnt a shredder!!!! He plays fast in SOME songs. not ever single thing is fast as hell. If Buckethead is a shredder so is Angus Young from ACDC ok. And In terms of Shred I am a huge fam of it. I think Paul Gilbert and Yngwie are good, but its always the same licks over and over in theie live solos. I think for true genious you must look into Steve Vai (who is god), John Petrucci (Although live he has no style which i don't really dig. I like to see my idols do some moving), and most definitely Michael Angelo Batio. MAB isn't a lot of people's choice because they think he is a jerk (which i dont understand have they met the guy?) But MAB is very very fast and quite good. Steve vai is most definitely my favorite though he is amazing live and If you haven't heard Bad Horsie you have no idea what music is.

And the stuff you find on youtube really sucks. I mean truly it's all really bad quality. there are a few really good things though. but not much.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
No mention of Jason Becker, Shawn Lane, John Petrucci, Marty Friedman, or Paco De Lucia? For shame guys for shame, and this should go in the shred forum.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Alexi Laiho I must agree sucks. I just cant stand his sound. I sounded better than him when i started.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Oh and I hear Mohammed Sucimez (can't spell his name sorry ) Is pretty damn ****ing good

Quote by padgea7x
Oh and I hear Mohammed Sucimez (can't spell his name sorry ) Is pretty damn ****ing good
He is.

To make this a bit more on topic, in terms of shredders in a metal context, either Rusty Cooley, Jeff Loomis or Michael Romeo.
Michael Romeo is a badass indeed.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by SPBY
well in what regards?

Speed? Rusty Cooley, Chris Storey, or Kris Norris (i have videos of kris norris doing something like 16th note triplets at 200bpm, it's insane, and he doesn't use it in his songs, but he has the power to)

Feel? Buckethead, Steve Vai

Kris Norris and Chris Storey are amazing.

I also like Rusty Cooley and Paul Gilbert. Not so much a fan of Vai.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Rommel1337

im waiting for someone to yell KIRK HAMMETT FOR THE WIN!!!

lmao

I was expecting that more than anything

Quote by What_is_my_name
I am tired of seeing Buckethead. jesus. Buckethead isnt a shredder!!!! He plays fast in SOME songs. not ever single thing is fast as hell.

The fact that most of his work is fast as hell qualifies him as a shredder. The problem for me is that he sometimes lacks any emotion in the likes of Malmsteen, Friedmen, MAB and Petrucci. They are all good shredders in they're own right but I'd have to add Vai, Satriani, Gilbert & Cooley and maybe Synyster Gates. (I'm gonna probably catch hell for that last one.)

Definitely not Alexi.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Bertallica
Synyster Gates.

I'll back that. People bash him for his image, but he's a great guitarist.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
^ I wouldn't say he's that great, pretty sure I've seen exercise videos where he was really sloppy.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by Bertallica
The fact that most of his work is fast as hell qualifies him as a shredder. The problem for me is that he sometimes lacks any emotion in the likes of Malmsteen, Friedmen, MAB and Petrucci. They are all good shredders in they're own right but I'd have to add Vai, Satriani, Gilbert & Cooley and maybe Synyster Gates. (I'm gonna probably catch hell for that last one.)

Definitely not Alexi.
Sometimes. He usually won't play a Gilmour-ish solo, but some of his songs are very emotional. Friedman has a ton of it, and MAB can play slowly and quite tastefully while doing so.

Yngwie, meh... he's a lot better than you would tell from just watching arpeggios from hell or whatever.

I can't really comment on Petrucci, as good as he is, because even his most melodic solo is probably recorded to a click track and entirely notated. He doesn't improvise anything...
Shawn Lane, Jason Becker
Greg Howe

game over
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I've decided that Paul Gilbert's hands have no method of communication with his brain. they exist as separate sentient beings each with an IQ of 400.
I forgot Chris Poland
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Jimi-is-god
Shawn Lane, Jason Becker
Greg Howe

game over

Wow, how in the world did I forget Jason Becker and Shawn Lane?

Temple of the Absurd still gives me chills.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
^ Outworld for the win.

As for the question, in a metal context I reckon Chris Amott needs more recognition. He's in a big band, but everyone sings Michael's praises and Chris gets forgotten.
Up The Boro!
my favorites: Jeff Loomis, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Pectrucci, Muhammed Suicmez
EDIT: and paul gilbert
Last edited by nevermore97 at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by Bertallica

Definitely not Alexi.

I'll have to disagree with this.

Most of bucketheads work is not "fast as hell", The larger percentage of his songs work on the principal of the "build-up and release", which inevitably, leads to some shred, but it's a small amount compared to the overall scope. Obviously you wont hear this if you go straight for "jordan" but you will if you search. I for one, actually regard him as the most "emotional" Shredder.

He is also a deceptively proficient acoustic composer.
Paul Gilbert, Jeff Loomis, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Chris Poland and Petrucci are my favorites.

edit :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCsLV5jdWzI

This is one of the bests demonstrations of shredding I've ever seen.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Page 1 of 2