A new song that I wrote for my new style I'm trying to venture into. This song is more progressive then death metal but still has some death metal elements I like. If you want to imagine the vocals behind it, they're full on growl vocals. Tell me what you think and C4C as well.
Attachments:
Breed. Live. Destroy.zip
Last edited by The Arsis at Dec 12, 2009,
Nice groovy intro. I can hear from it that you like gojira ! Nice melodies bar 17- but 23-24 should be replaced with something. I didn't like really double bass part, it was boring without vocals, I know they will replace the problem. I don't like 75-80 or part after it. Song was pretty repeative, but there was some ****ing kickass riffs!
8/10.

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1239829
It was very repetitive, so Idk how it happens to be progressive. At all. The intro was pretty good and most of the riffs were spot on, but everything was a bit too squeaky clean. Nothing really propelled the song forth.
I would say cut down on the length of the riffs and start emphasizing/accenting on the off-beats. It would help significantly. Trust me on that one.

And some more uptempo riffs wouldn't hurt either.
Quote by huevos
It was very repetitive, so Idk how it happens to be progressive. At all. The intro was pretty good and most of the riffs were spot on, but everything was a bit too squeaky clean. Nothing really propelled the song forth.
I would say cut down on the length of the riffs and start emphasizing/accenting on the off-beats. It would help significantly. Trust me on that one.

And some more uptempo riffs wouldn't hurt either.

I'm more into making this song a more "band" driven song where vocals are critical for its sucess. Most of the songs on this forum can do fine with just guitar alone, but I want to make it work with everything. I stopped writing normal death metal and progressive metal because it was to limiting. Everyone expects it to be that way or this way. I'm trying to present a new way of seeing progressive/death. Everyone expects progressive stuff to have a million different changes in the song with sweeping epics for years. I want to change that and show a newer and upgraded definition of progressive. I wanted to push it into new territories. The reason why most of the riffs are of a slower natural in my songwriting is because I try to incorporate a doom'ish styling to it as well.
Last edited by The Arsis at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by The Arsis
I'm more into making this song a more "band" driven song where vocals are critical for its sucess. Most of the songs on this forum can do fine with just guitar alone, but I want to make it work with everything. I stopped writing normal death metal and progressive metal because it was to limiting. Everyone expects it to be that way or this way. I'm trying to present a new way of seeing progressive/death. Everyone expects progressive stuff to have a million different changes in the song with sweeping epics for years. I want to change that and show a newer and upgraded definition of progressive. I wanted to push it into new territories. The reason why most of the riffs are of a slower natural in my songwriting is because I try to incorporate a doom'ish styling to it as well.

I didn't criticize it on grounds of not being progressive, I meant on memorability and emphasis. Not the same thing.
Troo, vocals can be crucial to the sound. At times, they even exceed the music.

I am one for always changing the definition of progressive and avant-garde. Neither of those should have a "definitive" band or sound. It should be constantly and continuously moving.
As for sweep picking, I've stayed so far away from writing songs with massive sweeps and will only use them if absolutely necessary.

The foundation of music from the past is there to be built upon. Once you understand it, tear it down, destroy the foundation, do whatever you want with it. But remember that the best way to go about this process is to know exactly what it is you are creating/deconstructing.

I was offering advice in a from a compositional and theoretical perspective, not from a genre classifying one.
Listen to some of pmeg568c songs on here and you'll see that slow drones can be done with exceptional results. It doesn't require crazy shred technicality, just well-voiced sections and powerful accenting.
The intro had a nice, heavy rhythm to it, though I was expecting a tempo increase around measure 32. The triplet section at measure 49 seems a bit lacking.....the snare/cymbals need to be more differentiated and you could have put more variations of notes into the guitar part. The section of that sounds great! The dissonant section following is pretty cool as well, and you use some cool chords, but the part with fast picking could use work. The next triplet section fits much better than the last one. The rest of the song was basically a repetition of the first part, and I thought it could have been changed up a bit to add more depth to the song. Finally, the clean break towards the end sounded alot like Opeth and made me expect a new section, whereas the song was about to end. If you were to incorporate that earlier in the song it would flow better as an outro IMO. Overall 5/10 not quite my thing.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1243743
Kurzweil K2500xs
This is a really great song. It's hard to find a song that incorporates ALL the instruments and makes them compliment eachother. Everyone is so lead guitar based, it's nice to see all effects from each track. Are you in a band? This definitley shows that it's written for a band, whether you meant to or not. Lyrics would fit perfect, I suggest you write some!

That being said, this song is less progressive because of its band appeal. But still is very well put together and tempo changes aren't too eccentric. I could see this being recorded but without vocals it wont be used to its full potential.

I give it a 8.4/10 (Yes the decimals mater =D) I'll be looking forward to more (And checking out your other ones when I have more time!
Panning is too extreme, but NVM. Nice intro, simple. You got the L and R guitars mixed up though. I liked R. Guitar's line up to bar 31. Not the open D chords though. Simple and boring. Liked the triplet part. The 150 tempo was good too. Liked the dominant 9 chords part. Again, change the rhythm line in that part (not 129-134 though). The outro was the best part of the song, but each chord lasted too long, and in the last chord (545), I suggest lowering the sol to fa#. All in all, not really my taste, but good nonetheless. 8/10
C4C? Link in my sig.
Quote by huevos
I had to piggyback off the views of this page.

That and I remember you said something about the new face of progressive (music).

Oh.

Misunderstood.

I didn't say I was starting a new progressive movement. I just said that I was trying to do progressive death in a different way from how it is usually done.
Quote by The Arsis
Oh.

Misunderstood.

I didn't say I was starting a new progressive movement. I just said that I was trying to do progressive death in a different way from how it is usually done.

I know. I'm a sardonic asshole. You should know that by now.

I have acquired an ear for doom however. I'm interested in incorporating that to my sound, since it's one of the only metal genres not (directly or indirectly) influenced by punk.
Quote by huevos
I know. I'm a sardonic asshole. You should know that by now.

I have acquired an ear for doom however. I'm interested in incorporating that to my sound, since it's one of the only metal genres not (directly or indirectly) influenced by punk.

Personally, I don't find to you to be an asshole (wouldn't of friend'd you if I thought you were).

I like the doom sound also. That is mainly why I love slower tempo pieces and incorporate them more in my songs than fast tempo stuff.
Quote by The Arsis
Personally, I don't find to you to be an asshole (wouldn't of friend'd you if I thought you were).

I like the doom sound also. That is mainly why I love slower tempo pieces and incorporate them more in my songs than fast tempo stuff.

I'm still find myself to be abrasive.

The thing about doom is the atmosphere. It's so crushing and depraved. I'm not for the vocals of bands like Warning and Candlemass, but the instrumental section is immense.

Shallow the Sun is a whole other beast though.