I am looking to start doing some recording but have no equipment to record with. I am looking for some input on some decent recording equipment. Whether it be something on the computer or a digital recorder I can set-up in my room. I am open for any suggestions..
get a digital recorder like a Tascam from musiciansfriend.com and get an editing software like reaper. you can download reaper for free on their site, but the recorder is like $150 or something, it depends on what you get. hope that helps!
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Yeah that's helpful. I think that was what I was leaning more towards anyway. I have been thinking of buying a digital recorder for a little while now just haven't actually done it.
Well if its on the computer, first you'll need an audio interface. Check out the M-Audio Fast Track USB interface. You can plug an 1/4 instrument cable, or an XLR phantom powered microphone (for vocals or if you mic an amp) into it then plug into your computer via USB. For software, there's a ton out there, such as M-Audio, Cakewalk, Digidesign (famous for Pro Tools), and plenty others. Just look around online for what you want. For portable recorders, Sony and Tascam make good gear, but just look around online for what will fit your needs.
The best digital recorder IMO is a COMPUTER - laptop or desktop. Get an Interface and record... it's the 21st century boys - shuck that TAPE RECORDER mentality.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by strangedogs
The best digital recorder IMO is a COMPUTER - laptop or desktop. Get an Interface and record... it's the 21st century boys - shuck that TAPE RECORDER mentality.

I agree.....unless portabilty is a priority, such as needing to record "live" performances at different venues often.
Yeah like the last 2 said.
Get yourself a DAW (Cubase, Pro Tools, Reason, Reaper, Audacity)
Get yourself an interface (M-Audio Fast Track, Line 6 POD UX2)
Get yourself some microphones (SM57, SM58)
Get yourself a decent set of monitors.

Get rocking

\m/
Quote by jailedmenonly
Yeah like the last 2 said.
Get yourself a DAW (Cubase, Pro Tools, Reason, Reaper, Audacity)
Get yourself an interface (M-Audio Fast Track, Line 6 POD UX2)
Get yourself some microphones (SM57, SM58)
Get yourself a decent set of monitors.

Get rocking

\m/

You hit it dead on!
Only thing I would suggest is ableton for DAW. I found it easier to start working with. Better navigation. It has 2 layouts. Session and live view. For looping and clip creation and song creation. It looks at creating music 2 different ways. I was on the bandwagon in a few days. So simple. Way back when ableton was version 3 or so that is lol.

The M-audio mobile pre is a cheap USB sound card with ASIO driver. Good start. 2 inputs. Both 1/4 and XLR. Phantom power as well. All for dirt cheap! Less than 100$ i believe. This is starting point of course. they get a lot better in quality as price increases.

Rest as he said.
I appreciate all of the suggestions. I will be thinking of all this when I do finally decide to get something. Christmas time is here and have to do for the rest of the family before I do for me. Hopefully in a few months I will have something decent set up and able to record.