i am 13 years old and have absolutely no idea how to write riffs or lyrics.

i play bass in a band, but none of us can write songs or lyrics and we mostly do covers.

if anyone has tips for writing a song that sounds like the Smiths or the Stone Roses that would be greatly appreciated

thanks
learn some songs by bands you like, and just jam around with them, eventually something will come up.

songwriting gets easier the more you do it, ive been playing/writing 9 years now, and writing a song is easy, 100000 times easier than when i started (wether its good or not is debatable )
Dont start by trying to imitate other bands. The most important thing is to develop your own voice and sound. I agree with lord_abyssium's point about learning other peoples songs, it'll help you understand what you like and dislike in song writing. If you try to sound exactly like your favorite bands you might aswell be playing in a cover band.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
^ exactly.

find your strong point as a band and integrate it with the sound. now, by strong point, I don't mean technically or even musically, but as people (or artists, I should say).

indie rock is retarded anyways, so dumbing it down like that will invalidate the music from the get-go.
Quote by thucydides

indie rock is retarded anyways, so dumbing it down like that will invalidate the music from the get-go.

You may be on the wrong part of the forum.