hey, i've only been playing guitar for a couple years, and i was wondering how to cut out feedback on my amp.

i play a dean ml, and run it through a 120 watt all valve bugera 333, using a dimarzio 10' cord. The dean ml is a mahogany neck and body, and rosewood fretboard. It also has stock dean pickups.

every time i turn on my lead, and crunch channels (depending on the gain knob on the crunch) i experience feedback that extends beyond hand muting the strings, and sometimes through notes when im playing. Even when my volume knobs are turned down on the amp i'll get the same amount of feedback, just matched with the volume of the amp.

I just got a new cord (the dimarzio) to see if it would help but it didn't, and im starting to theorize that i might need new pickups, but before i go out spending more money, it would be appreciated if there was any other advice to cut out the unwanted feedback.

i never keep my channel volume past 5 (12 o clock) and my master past 3 (9 o clock), and i don't want to play with my guitar volumes down all the time.

thanks for any comments and taking the time to read all this
does it happen if you put yourself between the amp and the guitar (facing away from the amp)? Might be due to the pickups. I have a tele that does that. I have to sit about 6 feet away from the amp or I can sit maybe 3 feet, turned away from the amp and the problem goes away. You could also get a noise gate.
Quote by sidebuster
does it happen if you put yourself between the amp and the guitar (facing away from the amp)? Might be due to the pickups. I have a tele that does that. I have to sit about 6 feet away from the amp or I can sit maybe 3 feet, turned away from the amp and the problem goes away. You could also get a noise gate.

it happens everywhere, i just tried that test today, i stood the full ten feet from my amp, and played facing to and away from the amp, i still got feedback.

i wouldn't know anything about the wiring, im not electonic savvy,

a noise gate wouldn't be a bad idea if tone didn't get sucked away from my sound. I dont know any good noise gates out there that let the whole tone through but take away feedback. but if you know of any such noise gates let me know and ill look into it.
The main problems that cause unwanted feedback are:

- Volume
- Gain
- Position in relation to amp
- Solid state clipping (nasty feedback)
- Microphonic tubes (pencil test them)
- Microphonic pups (this one is hard to sort out without rewaxing them, look for EwCorduroy's guide)

Tricks to solve it:

- Turn volume down
- Turn gain down
- Stand off towards the side of the amp, further away and facing away
- Change faulty tubes
- Change faulty pickups
- Stuff foam around and behind the pups
- Shield the guitar

Hope that helps.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
never heard of the foam trick, but it seems like it can't hurt so ill try it, there is an area around both humbuckers where you can see the wires and stuff. i'll try that out. I don't think i have faulty tubes, the amp is only about 2 months old, otherwise all the other solutions i've tried.

but i'll definitely stick some foam in there.
Yeah i have the same problem tried it with a couple of my friends guitars too same amount of feed back but w/ my friends guitars it wasn't while i was playing, not as much anyway. I'm using a 6262 2x12 w/ the volume on 6 sol that probably has something to do with it but yeah i'd check the tubes because the bugera ones aren't that good. Not particularly helpful i suppose
try rebiasing your amp..if you havent yet. this amps come biased pretty cold. having the bias on the amp to low will cause all kinds of crossover distortion and noises. get you a good multimeter and a bias probe to do it, the test points on the amp dont let you bias the amp correctly due to the points only let you measure the negative current and not the actual plate current. the bias probe inserts into one of the power tube sockets. eurotube sells a nice single probe for $25

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-biasprobeIns.htm

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?
page=view_products&category_id=108&sub_category_id=109

also try a noise gate pedal

the ones that work really well for me are the MXR Smart Gate pedal and the ISP Decimator.

a decent entry level gate would be the Boss NS2 noise suppressor. some people like it, but i find that it colors my tone a bit. but some people say it works pretty good

ALSO" try changing out the preamp tubes in the amp as well, the Bugera amps ship with cheap chinnese tubes in them. the stock power tubes arent that bad(but i'd change them to) but the stock preamp tubes and kinda harsh and noisey imo
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Last edited by HouseBoy83 at Dec 20, 2009,
How about a longer cord to get away from the amp some more. 10 ft kind of short.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
roll the volume down on the guitar? That seems to work well for my friend, who has single coils.

Or a longer cord... or noise gate...
A "dean ML" covers a pretty wide price range. The 200$ model is gonna have some pretty cheap pickups in it that can really give you some bad feedback, even the higher priced ones might have microphonic pickups. And as said you really need a longer cable than 10'. Being that close with high output pickups into an amp with the gain cranked is gonna give feedback.

Also there is alot of truth to putting some good tubes in bugera. They tend to use the cheapest chinese tubes that can be had. And a proper bias job on a bugera is probably a good idea anyways even if its not causing the feedback.

And if other things havent fixed the feedback maybe look at a noise gate. The noise gate seems to be the solution to every problem for many. But sometimes something simple can be the problem vs covering it up with a noisegate.