I got an Epiphone les paul Black beauty USED about 2 weeks ago and the gold hardware was GOLD not even a bit of fading.. but now its beginning to fade after i used polish on my guitar.. Its going from gold to silver.. is there a way to make it gold again because its not a black beauty if it has silver hardware....plus gold looks better on it
(And i dont wanna buy new parts.. well not for a while)
Green day.. Rammstein... I have weird musical taste
Quote by Invader Jim
you have no choice. new hardware or live with it. you're never supposed to plish gold hardware. it always rubs right off. that's why i hate gold hardware.

yep, gold hardware is teh sux.

It's either A.) Live with it or B.)Get new, better-plated hardware.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
That's the main reason I hate gold hardware and replaced all the gold hardware on my Epiphone Korina Explorer with black. I still have the gold stuff if you want it. I'll sell it to you pretty cheap but it does show a little wear. It might not be much better than what you already have.
I'll have to remember this when cleaning my 2006 Epiphone Korina '58 V
Spit and a t-shirt.
BLAZE ON!

2006 Epiphone '58 Korina V
2008 Aslin Dane Bohemian
Real Sound Mars Twin Tube Distortion/Overdrive
Crate dxj112 amp
Dunlop HighGain used as expression pedal
Quote by Invader Jim
you have no choice. new hardware or live with it. you're never supposed to plish gold hardware. it always rubs right off. that's why i hate gold hardware.

Aww that sucks... well thanks
The plating on epi hardware is really really thin. Not known for staying gold for long. Polishing just accelerates the process.
The coat is likely a few dozen microns thick. Alas there's not much to do to fix this. Just consider it reliced!
you could spend a little money and take all the gold parts off your guitar and get them replated and done right.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Ive got a cheap Les paul copy for about 3 years of constant use, gold hardware, the guitar is Made in Japan, and the hardware is still gold, a little rusted but still nice and gold, not silver. I clean it with lemon oil. Weird that your hardware on an epi is going silver.
easy solution
Strip it all off, go out and buy a $2 yellow sharpie
...you know what to do now ^^
seal it up, it'll never come off EVAR!!
You just LOST the game >: P

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
Quote by Invader Jim
i had a bigsby bridge on a guitar once and just leaving it in the case in my room made it spotty and disgusting. ever since that i never trust gold hardware.

Well that changes my mind on getting a bigsby for it lol.. i wanted my les paul to had a jimmy page look
let it wear out guitar has a personality then
i have a epiphone white les paul custom with a bigsby in gold every bit of gold on the guitar is faded epseialy where my hands rest and rub
even the Grover tuners are fading ive had the bigsby for 2/3 years
the bit im realy impressed with is the quality of gold plating on my SH4 JB IN THE BRIDGE no fading there as all while the stock neck pickup that i kept coz i like the sound is almost silver lol
Quote by stuartstratford
let it wear out guitar has a personality then
i have a epiphone white les paul custom with a bigsby in gold every bit of gold on the guitar is faded epseialy where my hands rest and rub
even the Grover tuners are fading ive had the bigsby for 2/3 years
the bit im realy impressed with is the quality of gold plating on my SH4 JB IN THE BRIDGE no fading there as all while the stock neck pickup that i kept coz i like the sound is almost silver lol

One day ill buy some more expensive parts for my les paul.. and make sure the gold is really on there... I think its just the quality then
Just look at the economics of this situation. Gold right now is 1100$ an ounce. So how much gold can they put on the hardware of a 700$ guitar. Theres about 300$ difference between a plain top ebony standard and the black beauty. So figure at most thats 300$ worth of gold, about 10 grams. Spread that out over 3 pickup covers, bridge etc not gonna be a very thick coating. Thats if epi actually put even that much gold on the guitar.

Whereas an after market bridge for say 100$ is gonna certainly have a thicker coating. Still would have to watch going after it with polish.
Any idea when the black beauty you have was made?
as they say "they don't make em like they used to" and it's true! - I have a friend with a 2008 epi lespaul and the pickup covers went chrome within a month or so.
I have an epi pickup from a 1998 flying V and it's still all gold, bit of rust on the pole pieces but fine everywhere else.

Infact, until recently this seems true - another friend has a 2006 epi korina explorer black / gold and thats all perfectly gold coloured still
Quote by Bigsteve92
Infact, until recently this seems true - another friend has a 2006 epi korina explorer black / gold and thats all perfectly gold coloured still

That may be true. My Epi Korina Explorer is an '06 model and the hardware showed a little wear but it was still in decent shape. I swapped it all out for black hardware anyway though. I just don't like gold hardware at all.
Quote by Tackleberry
Just look at the economics of this situation. Gold right now is 1100$ an ounce. So how much gold can they put on the hardware of a 700$ guitar. Theres about 300$ difference between a plain top ebony standard and the black beauty. So figure at most thats 300$ worth of gold, about 10 grams. Spread that out over 3 pickup covers, bridge etc not gonna be a very thick coating. Thats if epi actually put even that much gold on the guitar.

Whereas an after market bridge for say 100$ is gonna certainly have a thicker coating. Still would have to watch going after it with polish.

I really doubt they would put real gold on guitar hardware.
I highly doubt it's even real gold to begin with. Probably a gold mixture of some kind if anything.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet