Right now I play a Hamer Sunburst A/T. I bought it used, and its been good to me but I think I'm ready to step into the market of higher end guitars. With Christmas coming up, there's deals everywhere. I have fallen in love with the Gibson Les Paul series, and they can be had for ~$800 on musicians friend, or guitar center's websites. Depending on how Christmas goes, this might be in my price range. What I'm wondering is how can Gibson sell these for such a low price? The Standard model usually goes for twice the price, and I'm wondering what type of shortcuts Gibson used to make the studio. I was specifically interested in the faded brown mahogany Studio. I am also interested what's the difference between the faded models (which go for $500 less than the gloss studios) and the gloss studios. I've heard something about being chambered, and perhaps the more expensive studios have a maple top over the mahogany body?
I also wanted to buy an amp at the same time as a guitar (so I can get the sound I want), but if I buy the studio right now, I would have to wait on the amp. This on top of my earlier questions are really making me think twice about buying a Les Paul right now. On one hand, I don't want to miss out on the great deals being offered, but I also don't want to compromise.

I know this is alot, but I thoroughly appreciate any and all help I get, as I like to be an educated consumer.
the paint it ALOT thinner, smaller inlays, cheaper control knobs

lots of little things that lower the production costs, still sound just as good though
get an agile, that way you can get a real good guitar that almost looks the same and a good amp. youll spend about 500 for the agile and that also leaves some money if you want to replace the pickups
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
Quote by Porklit
Right now I play a Hamer Sunburst A/T. I bought it used, and its been good to me but I think I'm ready to step into the market of higher end guitars. With Christmas coming up, there's deals everywhere. I have fallen in love with the Gibson Les Paul series, and they can be had for ~$800 on musicians friend, or guitar center's websites. Depending on how Christmas goes, this might be in my price range. What I'm wondering is how can Gibson sell these for such a low price? The Standard model usually goes for twice the price, and I'm wondering what type of shortcuts Gibson used to make the studio. I was specifically interested in the faded brown mahogany Studio. I am also interested what's the difference between the faded models (which go for $500 less than the gloss studios) and the gloss studios. I've heard something about being chambered, and perhaps the more expensive studios have a maple top over the mahogany body?
I also wanted to buy an amp at the same time as a guitar (so I can get the sound I want), but if I buy the studio right now, I would have to wait on the amp. This on top of my earlier questions are really making me think twice about buying a Les Paul right now. On one hand, I don't want to miss out on the great deals being offered, but I also don't want to compromise.

I know this is alot, but I thoroughly appreciate any and all help I get, as I like to be an educated consumer.
The faded ones that go for $800 don't have a maple top, have a satin finish rather than your typical nitrocellulose lacquer. Those kinds of things add up.
Get an Agile, as it was mentioned already. You can get a WAY better agile for less plus you could tweak it a bit with the money to go up to the price with the studio...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
The difference is the finish. Without the paint and gloss finish (and the hand work that goes with them), they can shave quite a bit off of the price. I own an Alpine White LP Studio with an ebony fretboard and I love the thing. And based on how much the bloody thing weighs, there is no way in hell it is chambered.
The cheaper ones don't have a maple top, which cuts a little off, and then they have a satin or faded finish which makes it alot cheaper. I'd recommend going in and trying ones because some people don't like faded finishes to much.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by FatalGear41
The difference is the finish. Without the paint and gloss finish (and the hand work that goes with them), they can shave quite a bit off of the price. I own an Alpine White LP Studio with an ebony fretboard and I love the thing. And based on how much the bloody thing weighs, there is no way in hell it is chambered.

Same here, I have a '96 LP Studio and it weighs more than most of the LP Standards I've played.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by FloyDZeD
Same here, I have a '96 LP Studio and it weighs more than most of the LP Standards I've played.

chambering started in '06, so yours just has swiss cheese holes in it.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Thanks for the quick replys everyone. Took a look at the agiles, and they are quite nice for the price indeed. Part of the reason I wanted a Gibson LP was for the name and heritage that comes with Gibson. As such, I think I might save up for a real LP rather than compromising (my Hamer should be fine for now). I would rather save and get something I really want. What kind of success will I have if I go into the used market?
Go for the glossy studio.
The faded don't have a maple top (which personally i think is the best thing about a LP)

I love my studio (alpine white with gold hardware), the chambered body sounds great!

Also have you considered the new Raw Power studio?
Fantastic guitars, that is if you don't mind the hideous looks.
I love white guitars!
The Raw Power studio has been around for a while.. and its not ugly.

I'd say, if you can find an agile hanging on a wall at Guitar Center, try it. I wouldn't get an Agile without first playing one.

The Gibson has that "PAF" tone, and I hear all of the LP studio's have Burstbuckers except the Satin black finish.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
The Gibson has that "PAF" tone, and I hear all of the LP studio's have Burstbuckers except the Satin black finish.

The Faded ones have Burstbuckers; the glossy Studios have the 498T/490R pickup set.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.