This is my first post, and I have read the forum rules. But even so, this may be in the wrong forum. If so notify me.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting new pickups for my Ibanez s670. I was recommended by a friend to get dimarzios, and in particular the tone zone for the bridge and the air norton in the neck.

I want to know if these are good choices.

I play stuff such as Metallica, Trivium, some Dream Theater and some Muse, so I would like a good tone for the thrashy stuff and also a good clean tone.

Bear in mind that I'm completely set on dimarzios.

Also, the best deal I could fine on these is at projectmusic.net
Is this site trustworthy?
Quote by eazy-c

I don't think I've ever laughed so much in the Pit.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I'm not sure, and can't be bothered to check. But I've heard nothing but BRILLIANT news about the X2N, and I personally wanna get one, but not sure I can find any near me.

+1
Dimarzio make great pickups, Tone Zones and air nortons seem to be popular at the moment.

I personlly like the D activators and the X2N they are really high output and are described as Passive, active like pups on some websites where i've seen 'em.

It depends what tone your looking for personally, go and look at the pup picker on the dimarzio website
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
The X2N is the WRONG PICKUP for anything other than Death.

What you want is

Neck: DiMarzio Norton OR DiMarzio PAF Pro
Bridge: DiMarzio D Sonic

If you want a more Dream Theatre or rock/metal oriented tone

If you want a more metal / thrash oriented setup with good clarity for Muse, what you want is:

Neck: DiMarzio PAF Pro OR DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell
Bridge: DiMarzio Super 2

That said, depending on what amp you use, an amp change to might serve you better than a pickup change. Changing your pickup if you use a crappy 5 watt solid state practice amp will net you so little change in your tone, its practically negligible.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Ok I'll check out the site pickup selector as well.
thanks.

Also, would I be right in saying Petrucci used an Air Norton in the Images and Words era?
Quote by eazy-c

D-Sonic (b) Air Norton (n)
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The dimarzio Norton (not air norton) sounds fantastic in the bridge of an S series guitar.

Paired with an air norton in the neck it's one of the most versatile and underated partnerships in the dimarzio line, you'll be able to play the thrash stuff but should you want to play (say) blues on the side you'll still be able to.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Tone Zone is a terrible recommendation for a mahogany guitar, and the Air Norton isn;t really ideal...the X2N is just a noisemaker - for versatility you cac't really do better than the Norton in the bridge with a Humbucker From Hell in the neck, if you want to gear things up more towards the heavy side of things then D-Sonic bridge, Breed neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What about the D-activators?
Are they any good for clean? I've heard they're great for Metal, which is my main priority, but no-one seems to mention the cleans.

Also, if I got d-activators, it seems I would need a different single coil(H-S-H). which diimarzio would work well?
Quote by eazy-c

Last edited by ThrashIsWin at Dec 4, 2009,
Crunch Lab and Liquifire, Petrucci's pickups
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Quote by steven seagull
Tone Zone is a terrible recommendation for a mahogany guitar

Tonezone is fine in an s-series though (oddly enough; I've heard horror stories about the tonezone in mahogany guitars.)

In an S-series, the tonezone is fat as hell, but kinda harsh.

good in drop tunings suprisingly though.

(I have an S320 with tonezone/PAF Pro)

I would personally recommend either a D-Sonic (bar down)/PAF Pro combo or a Super3/PAF Pro combo (super 3 is supposedly REALLY dark though).

(the paf pro is EXTREMELY versatile and sounds amazing clean and distorted; it's also a good smooth soloing pickup)

If you want to know what a Tonezone sounds like in the bridge of an s-series I have two videos on youtube with my s320 atm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mgapi07vOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln3aK9uBP1o

I'm a sloppy player, but these are with backing tracks so all the guitar you hear is actually me.

If you want a clean demo I can put one up tonight or tomorrow.
Quote by ThrashIsWin
What about the D-activators?
Are they any good for clean? I've heard they're great for Metal, which is my main priority, but no-one seems to mention the cleans.

Also, if I got d-activators, it seems I would need a different single coil(H-S-H). which diimarzio would work well?

double post here lol

If you want to hear a clean d-activator, look up Colors Live from Between the Buried and Me on youtube.

Paul is using a PRS with d-activators through a mesa in all of those videos and plays clean in parts (pretty sure dusty is using d-activators as well but don't quote me).

They have very high treble btw.

Also, what amp do you have?
Last edited by rlheart at Dec 4, 2009,
nobody likes the evolution no more ?
Quote by steven seagull
Howver, Spider have pretty lights to keep kids with ADD occupied.

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
Quote by rlheart
Tonezone is fine in an s-series though (oddly enough; I've heard horror stories about the tonezone in mahogany guitars.)

In an S-series, the tonezone is fat as hell, but kinda harsh.

good in drop tunings suprisingly though.

(I have an S320 with tonezone/PAF Pro)

I would personally recommend either a D-Sonic (bar down)/PAF Pro combo or a Super3/PAF Pro combo (super 3 is supposedly REALLY dark though).

(the paf pro is EXTREMELY versatile and sounds amazing clean and distorted; it's also a good smooth soloing pickup)

If you want to know what a Tonezone sounds like in the bridge of an s-series I have two videos on youtube with my s320 atm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mgapi07vOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln3aK9uBP1o

I'm a sloppy player, but these are with backing tracks so all the guitar you hear is actually me.

If you want a clean demo I can put one up tonight or tomorrow.

What pickup is in the neck?
Also, could you put up a clean demo please?
Quote by eazy-c

Quote by Luminate

Its very harsh and trebly, and doesnt clean up very well. Very high output. The Evo 2 is better though.
Quote by ThrashIsWin
What pickup is in the neck?
Also, could you put up a clean demo please?

It's got a PAF Pro in the neck.

I didn't see that you'd responded until just a moment ago and I can't get a clean demo up right away cause I have finals this week, but as soon as I get the chance to do so I will.

Also, what amp are you running? (I can attempt to set my gearbox as close as possible to your amp so it'll give a somewhat accurate sound result)
Last edited by rlheart at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by Luminate

I never did personally...
Quote by GrisKy
I never did personally...

I like the Evolution neck. The bridge is too trebly. I've heard great things about the evo 2 though.