Hey, guys.
Ive recently been recording some metal guitar riffs, and Ive made an effort to start recording a song. The guitar is coming out fine, but the bass tone just dosent do it for me. Im recording through a boss micro BR and Ive tried using both the spector and Ibanez Atk, but I just cant get a good growly metaly punchy tone. Ill post some clips on my profile so you can hear.

Edit: The bass is also a lot louder in my car and it drowns out the guitar, but on the computer its fine. any ideas?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Dec 3, 2009,
If you want a growly, punchy metal tone, then you are going to have to put something between your bass and that Micro BR. Get a hold of a SansAmp Bass Driver or an MXR Bass D.I. (or something along those lines). Going direct into your computer is likely to give you a sterile tone without some very good modeling software.
Well, Im using a bass floor POD, but that just may be the reason. Recently Ive gotten a half descent pick-metal tone with the POD so I guess Ill just go with that untill I have the money to pick up a Sansamp.
Edit: The bass is also a lot louder in my car and it drowns out the guitar, but on the computer its fine. any ideas?

Different stereos and speakers will boost different frequencies. Most the problems with bass sounds are in the mids, which vary the most. If your computer speakers aren't playing much low-mids, that might be where the bass is taking up the most space, so you crank it louder. Your car stereo does play a lot of low-mids, now the bass sounds too loud. I always test mixes on a variety stereos/players/headphones and make it sound the best where I'm going to be playing it the most.
Ok, thanks for the responses guys. I O U 1
I think a new set of steel strings on that Spector of yours would be the best place to start for a growly metal tone.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
^Definetely.

I don't see the need for a SansAmp or any more dirt on the signal to be honest. I just think you need some brand spanking new strings. Spectors already have that metal growl you need. Will sound really good
signature
Well lucky me. I happened to finagle a set out of GC when I bought the bass. Guess Ill slap those puppys on and see where that gets me.