Hey guys, I was going to be buying a guitar with emg's in it but while looking around on here I've been hearing negative things about them. Seems a lot of people prefer passives, so before I go spending a bunch of money I'm gonna look into every option .

I play a lot of Metallica and metal bands of that class, but I also like a good amount of more modern stuff. So I want a pickup that can get a good range of tones for all types of metal.

What are a good set of moderately priced passive pups I could get? I know about the Bareknuckle ones and they may be out of my price range , but should I be lucky enough which of those would suit me best?

I had planned on buying a new guitar initially, so if the suggested pickups come stock in anything please let me know, if not I play a Schecter C1+(if it helps) from like 3-4 years ago that I may just put them in.

Open to about anything, thanks for the suggestions .
duncan invaders, they're basically the emg of passives, either you love em or you hate em. ( keep in mind though, they completely butcher your cleans )
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
If you get a Bareknckle I'd say go for the Miracle Man, it does the 80's metal stuff well and pinch harmonics through it are beastly. If you want something a tad more modern maybe the Warpig?
hoimhi0et0hm03oi

Seymour Duncan Invader SH-2

Just look how sexy it is. And I shouldn't even start about the sound.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Dimarzio D-activators sound sorta like actives, but warmer and don't sound like poo through a solid state.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
you hear negative things because we have a few youngsters on this website that love to bandwagon(like the mg series and spiders, yes awful, but cut them some slack.)

EMg pickups were designed to amplify the output even before it made its way before the poweramp section of a TUBE AMP, solidstate amps get pushed into a harsh overdrive and get harsh unwanted clipping(unlike soft smooth tube clipping)

so people who rip onEMGs probably put them into a squire strat through a spider III and expect to sound amazing.(no im not a band wagnoneer)

EMGs are nice pickups, although they can sound a bit sterile and kinda compressed, very difficult to get passable cleans with an 81/85 combo, but with a 60 in there, its a much more warm mix that has great cleans.

i played the Schecter C1 through a bugera 6262 at gc,. and it was pretty eargasmic.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Ive heard good things about iron gear pickups and they have a pickup that pretty much a seymour duncan invader but alot cheaper!
Quote by westdyolf
you hear negative things because we have a few youngsters on this website that love to bandwagon(like the mg series and spiders, yes awful, but cut them some slack.)

EMg pickups were designed to amplify the output even before it made its way before the poweramp section of a TUBE AMP, solidstate amps get pushed into a harsh overdrive and get harsh unwanted clipping(unlike soft smooth tube clipping)

so people who rip onEMGs probably put them into a squire strat through a spider III and expect to sound amazing.(no im not a band wagnoneer)

EMGs are nice pickups, although they can sound a bit sterile and kinda compressed, very difficult to get passable cleans with an 81/85 combo, but with a 60 in there, its a much more warm mix that has great cleans.

i played the Schecter C1 through a bugera 6262 at gc,. and it was pretty eargasmic.

Ok, well I do have a Bugera 333xl so that's not an issue.
So even if I get emg's it won't sound like shit right? That's really all I'm trying to prevent since I've never had them.

And then I guess I should look into Invaders right?
DiMarzio:
-X2N
-D-activator
-D-activator X
-D-sonic
-Super distortion
-Super 2
-Super 3
-Crunchlab
-Dual sound
-Evo's
-Steve's Special
- Tone zone

Seymour Duncan:
-Duncan Distortion
-JB
-Invader
-Custom Custom
-Custom SH-5
- Full Shred
-Dimebucker

BKP:
-Holydiver
-Cold Sweat
-Miracle Man
-Nailbomb
-Warpig
-Painkiller

There's a list of high output passives from three major brands,feel free to research any models that you're interested in.Don't buy something just because someone on UG said they like it,UG is full of opinionated idiots,myself included.Narrow down your selection then do some extensive research and comparisons so you get as close to what you want as possible.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by Pr0gNut
DiMarzio:
-X2N
-D-activator
-D-activator X
-D-sonic
-Super distortion
-Super 2
-Super 3
-Crunchlab
-Dual sound
-Evo's
-Steve's Special
- Tone zone

Seymour Duncan:
-Duncan Distortion
-JB
-Invader
-Custom Custom
-Custom SH-5
- Full Shred
-Dimebucker

BKP:
-Holydiver
-Cold Sweat
-Miracle Man
-Nailbomb
-Warpig
-Painkiller

There's a list of high output passives from three major brands,feel free to research any models that you're interested in.Don't buy something just because someone on UG said they like it,UG is full of opinionated idiots,myself included.Narrow down your selection then do some extensive research and comparisons so you get as close to what you want as possible.

i love you...
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']i love you...

Also,wtf is this sh*t >

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

If you like modern metal (assuming you're referring to metalcore, deathcore, thrash, etc) and Metallica, I would probably get EMGs, as that's what pretty much all of them use.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]'] it's Waldo, you dumb ****

I know that,but why is his disembodied head a smiley option?

Also,why do we have a llama? What emotion could that possibly symbolize?

If we have smilies of Waldo and a llama then I demand I smiley of JFK's head being pierced by a sniper round.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I know that,but why is his disembodied head a smiley option?

Also,why do we have a llama? What emotion could that possibly symbolize?

If we have smilies of Waldo and a llama then I demand I smiley of JFK's head being pierced by a sniper round.

I'll get the petition started.
I've been thinking about getting some Tesla VR-Extremes.

http://www.teslapickups.com/vr-extreme

To hear them, check out this review of the Malden Subhuman guitar (which uses them):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udz-fuUDnj4
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
IMO DiMarzio makes the best Passive PU's hands down.

The other major competitors make a good product, don't get me wrong, but I think the DiMarzio company is just better overall....at least to my ears.

Noto to name drop but the greats use DiMarzio:

Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Paul Gilbert
Herman Li????? Uh???
Yngwie Malmsteen
John Petrucci - I think he used them
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]'] it's Waldo, you dumb **** Actually, it's Wally. For some reason when it was taken over to America, Wally got renamed Waldo.

Anyway, OP: Other people have already covered the many good options for ''metal'' passive pickups. All I'll add is make sure you actually need high-output pickups before you get some. High output pickups are used when your amp is naturally medium- or high-gain and you want to be able to control the level of distortion using the guitar's volume control, sweeping from gritty 'clean' tones to regular distortion and then at full power pushing the amp as hard as it can go. If you don't actually use your volume control in this way, or if you're just not maxing out your amp already, high output pickups are rather pointless. Depending on the nature of your rig and hwo you play, you may find that you'll actually be better off using low output pickups and increasing the gain on your distortion channel, or using an overdrive pedal.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by archetype713
Ok, well I do have a Bugera 333xl so that's not an issue.
So even if I get emg's it won't sound like shit right? That's really all I'm trying to prevent since I've never had them.

And then I guess I should look into Invaders right?

EMGs sound nice through the Bugera, I have the 333 and it sounds AMAZING. The 81 is great distorted and managable clean. The 60 has an amazing clean and sounds great for fluid leads.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by ac/dc752
duncan invaders, they're basically the emg of passives, either you love em or you hate em. ( keep in mind though, they completely butcher your cleans )

yeah them and the D-Activators by dimarzio, i recommend a guitar with a seymour duncan combo they typically have a jb in the bridge which has a very balanced distortion sound, if ur willing to swap out pickups make another thread for PUP combos, anyhoooo it pays to shop around, and thank you for not conforming to emg enthusiasts!