i was bored so i was checking out guitars on ebay and came across an early '90s les paul classic. while looking at the photos i noticed that the guy removed the pickups and underneath was the model and finish color printed in the cavity. i've never seen or heard of this before, especially of all the times people come here asking for help determining if a guitar is real or not. is this a legit form of checking if an older gibson is real or is it something that is often faked also?

i know i have two gibsons but i was never worried if they were real or not so i never looked, and i dont have them with me to look now.

discuss?

btw here are the links-

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee115/cwh1/Gibson%20LP%20Classic%20Amber%2093/DSC02568.jpg
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
I suggest you call Gibson and ask them if they ever marked their guitars in this fashion. Their Customer Service line is: 1-800-444-2766. It is a 24/7 line, so they had ought to answer the phone no matter when you call.
Probably legit, everything on it looks like it's a gibson. but more pictures would be better, thats not much to tell from.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
eBay link please

I've looked at his Photobucket album (just remove the JPG name at the end of the URL) and it's looks damn sweet.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
heres the ebay link- http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Premium-Plus-Amber-Flame_W0QQitemZ150394487402QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item230435c26a#ht_42896wt_1026

im not interested in buying it so im not really gonna go so in depth as to call their customer service lines and such, just thought that was a good idea to help prevent frauds and i've never heard anyone else say they did that before
Quote by gatechballer
With all the Gibsons I have owned and I have owned a lot of them. I never came across one with stamping in the pick up routing not that it wasn't done I just never came across it before. I am assuming even though he doesn't say it's a reissue it is, because they are using the old numbering system they only use that when doing a reissues. A 93 regular release Gibson should have 8 numbers impressed into the wood with Made in USA also impressed into the wood the first and fifth numbers being the year. If it was a custom shop it would also be marked accordingly.

YDDDYPPP
YY is the production year
DDD is the day of the year
PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank

I ran the number and this is what I got:

Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
approximately in: 1993 or 2003

I figure with an inked number done the way 50s vintage guitars were done it has to be some type of reissue but I have no clue what they are reissuing.

The guy has 100% positive feedback so I doubt he's scamming anyone.

John

Edit: I looked thru his other auctions and found this. I fell in love...................

http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Custom-Shop-Rootbeer-Quilt_W0QQitemZ150394187579QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2304312f3b
Last edited by johnro6659 at Dec 3, 2009,
^that finish is AWESOME
Quote by gatechballer
I am not much of a fan of brown but a Rootbeer finish over a quilt top is just sexy as hell. I wanted an Agile LP in Rootbeer with a quilt top but they discontinued them.

John
The guitar looks legitimate, and I don't know why any company making fakes would go to the trouble of stamping the pickup cavities. I don't know whether gibson ever did that or not, but it does not strike me as evidence of a fake.
Everything about that guitar looks really high quality to me and as stated above, I can't see a frauder goin to extra lengths to do something like that if they didn't do it on the legit Gibbos.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Thats a Gibson, there are many things that fakes NEVER do that are done to that guitar. It's a Gibson, a very sexy one
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Sir, you have laid eyes on a very beautiful child. God bless on your purchase =D
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
do you think thats an effective way on cutting back on the fakes? i like the idea, and it doesnt take knowing much about fakes to figure it out either
Quote by gatechballer
Definitely real and my SG Standard actually does have writing under the pickups but as I recall it's not stamped it's written with permanent marker so maybe they started doing that in the last 20 years? As I recall in the 80s they started categorizing their serials better so that might have something to do with it.
Quote by SoLgEr
do you think thats an effective way on cutting back on the fakes? i like the idea, and it doesnt take knowing much about fakes to figure it out either

No, I don't think so. You have to take the strings and pickups off to find it, which is way too involved. A shot of the control cavity is a better way to identify and is a lot easier to get to.
Quote by Roc8995
No, I don't think so. You have to take the strings and pickups off to find it, which is way too involved. A shot of the control cavity is a better way to identify and is a lot easier to get to.

which is why i think it'd be good. the people that are making the fake ones wouldn't go to the trouble for that reason, they'd figure no one would look so whats the point in bothering
Quote by gatechballer
i've seen that sorta thing before both stamped and handwritten. nothing to worry about. As far as the serial numbers go, LP Classics were originally an attempt to get all the cosmetic details of a vintage model without going to the trouble of doing things like period correct wiring, so the SN's are in the old format, inked, and a lot of them don't have "Made In U.S.A" stamped on them either.