Hello everyone,

With Christmas time coming up I am considering buying some new pickups. I play an Ibanez XPT-700XH Xiphos.
I currently still have the stock Dimarizio's in it. Anyways...

I am looking to put some new passive pickups in it. I play nothing but metal- Black and Tech Death to be more precise.

I was thinking Seymour Duncan.. anybody have any input??

I play leads so bright, clear highs are a must.
just change bridge to an X2N....there pretty much all treble and real high output

SD's dont seem very good for metal unless ur talking about Blackouts or Livewires
SH-6 Duncan Distortion.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Stingray5
dimebuckers?

theyre horrid

get Bill Lawrence Rails if you want a Dimebag or Nuno Bettencourt sound because thats what they use

and the BL is about half the price
i suggest the sd invader humbucker.. they hav nices highs and the clean sounds very nice if you ever happen to need it. but it does get real heavy
Quote by kiaba94
i suggest the sd invader humbucker.. they hav nices highs and the clean sounds very nice if you ever happen to need it. but it does get real heavy

Um, no.

Not clean at all.

I'd suggest a Seymour Duncan Distortion/59 set.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
im going to go a different route here. the pickups you have are voiced for metal, and getting other metal pickups are going to change the tone very seubtley. i say go buy an overdrive pedal to boost your amp. turing on my ibanez ts9 with the gain at 0 and the level at 10 turns my 5150 distortion into a whole new monster. tight low end and a different flavor of midrange. will probably give you that tight cutting tone you want for tech stuff
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
There's absolutely no point changing the pickups, the ones you already have are perfect for what you play - changeing them would be at best a sideways step, quite possibly backwards.,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TheBackHouse
theyre horrid

get Bill Lawrence Rails if you want a Dimebag or Nuno Bettencourt sound because thats what they use

and the BL is about half the price

Trippin brother. My dimebucker is kick ass, no question about it.
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
Quote by Marrowoflife
Trippin brother. My dimebucker is kick ass, no question about it.

ehhh no theyre not, they are so sterile and fizzy, majority of UG agrees...dimebag didnt even play them anyway.
Quote by Techofthegods
Hello everyone,

With Christmas time coming up I am considering buying some new pickups. I play an Ibanez XPT-700XH Xiphos.
I currently still have the stock Dimarizio's in it. Anyways...

I am looking to put some new passive pickups in it. I play nothing but metal- Black and Tech Death to be more precise.

I was thinking Seymour Duncan.. anybody have any input??

I play leads so bright, clear highs are a must.

The stock DiMarzios in it are amazing for Black and Death You just gotta EQ your amp right and adjust playing style accordingly. They take well to heavier strings due to their brightness, too.

If you simply don't dig their tone though, the DiMarzio D Activator X is quite awesome, as is the X2N (especially if you're a fan of Chuck Schuldiner) and the Seymour Duncan Custom and Distortion. EMG's are the definitive pickup for Death Metal, though.
Quote by TheBackHouse
ehhh no theyre not, they are so sterile and fizzy, majority of UG agrees...dimebag didnt even play them anyway.

He did in the later days, and he was not death metal or black metal. The closest thing I could describe his tone to is the earliest Norwegian Black Metal that was recorded on shit guitars through a Peavey Bandit, minus the bathroom reverb. Only those tones were a little better..
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Dec 5, 2009,
if you wanna go dime-ish, i'd try the wylde xl500, if i can get 60ish together after buying parts after christmas, that's what'll b going in my dime333. also, i believe he used a '59 in the neck position on cowboys from hell.

i had my neck position custom wound by nuthinbuttrubl8 on this site, completely badass pup. if you are in the US and are willing to spend 75, i'd suggest pm-ing him
Quote by blandguitar
if you wanna go dime-ish, i'd try the wylde xl500, if i can get 60ish together after buying parts after christmas, that's what'll b going in my dime333. also, i believe he used a '59 in the neck position on cowboys from hell.

i had my neck position custom wound by nuthinbuttrubl8 on this site, completely badass pup. if you are in the US and are willing to spend 75, i'd suggest pm-ing him

Cheers I've got a bridge pickup in the works with him right now.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
nice. definitely worth dealing with him. he's a little slow, but he took the time to rewind the one coil multiple times until it was just right. it did everything i wanted and more
Quote by TheBackHouse

Really was there a vote somewhere?
Quote by Marrowoflife
Really was there a vote somewhere?

are u joking? theyre hated as much as MG's, Line 6 Spiders, Bc Rich's, Boss Pedals and EMGs in beginner guitars
I agree with Marrowoflife, my friend runs a dimebucker in his ml '79 and it is pretty damn good if you know how to play and how to eq accordingly to your amp and pedals. If anyone wants to try and bash me on this I will try and get a video/audio up and show you how it sounds. I don't see how it is that the dimebucker could even be thrown into the same category as line 6, emgs on cheap guitars or whatever else that one guy said.

I don't know where the rash of bash came from here on UG lately- I guess its just due to the holidays.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
Quote by TheBackHouse
are u joking? theyre hated as much as MG's, Line 6 Spiders, Bc Rich's, Boss Pedals and EMGs in beginner guitars

No joke.. I have not heard the news, maybe because I don't spend that much time here.

Ok tho, I'll try to compare it back to back against some other pups tomorrow.
I was thinking about getting a ibanez xpt700 for the nice body then switch out the tremolo 'n pup's... But i'm still thinking :O
Quote by Clabbe
I was thinking about getting a ibanez xpt700 for the nice body then switch out the tremolo 'n pup's... But i'm still thinking :O

bumped why?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden