I've been playing bass for almost a year now, and I wanted to start learning some theory. Obviously, bass isnt the best instrument for this purpose, so I picked up an Ibanez GAX70 at my local pawn shop. I got it for $130 w/ gig bag. Was this a decent buy? For now I'm just using my 400w peavey bass stack, and it actually sounds pretty damn good to me with my bass Big Muff Pi for some distortion.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the shopping experience I've had. Sorry if this is kind of a rant, but I was surprised with the number of people (not just here) that are unable to respect that I may only have a certain amount of money to spend on this, as I honestly dont really enjoy guitar like I do bass. I mean, everywhere I go I hear something like "Why don't you up it to $300 for a good guitar?" This is more extreme, but I remember one thread where someone was recommending a setup that totalled around $1000 for guitar and amp. To me, that is just incomprehensible... Now I'm not a kid, and I do have some money, but right now almost all of it is being paid to my university.

You would think that guitars would be significantly cheaper than they used to be these days. I mean, arent all of the sub-$1k ones mass produced anyway? its not like theyre handmade, where labour costs even matter. How is a Fender Strat significantly higher quality than a Squire made from the same wood, when theyre both made on an assembly line? I guess it will probably be different for me when I finish my Comp Sci degree and get the $80,000/year job that usually comes with it, but right now, even the $130 that I paid means I will probably be eating ramen noodles for the next little while
That guitar runs about $200 new from a major retailer,and you could probably find it from a smaller online retailer for even cheaper,maybe even as low as $150.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

who cares what it cost as long as it sounds good and you are happy with it......

hngd but your paranoid rant isn`t going to help you.....
Sorry for the rant, I guess I just spent too much time reading before buying anything