So I was at band practice awhile back and my bassist mentioned that she used to be in another band, but they never really practiced and then they eventually just dissolved. Our drummer was relieved and said that he was atleast glad that she wasn't in two bands at the same time. I quickly questioned what he meant by it, because I had been wanting to get another band going on the side for quite some time.
He said being in two bands at once would be like cheating on your girlfriend. Honestly, I still am considering forming another band with some friends, and that the whole cheating this is ridiculous.
What does everyone think about this? Similar situations?
ya its not really cheating..lots of other musicians are in multiple bands...it usually happens when you write some music that doesnt really fit with the material the band your in usually plays...so you make another one that plays more to that style...but meh as long as your playing guitar and lovin it who cares how many bands your in lol
~ Requiem of Innocence ~
I can see why your drummer characterized it the way he did. Some people who play in more than one band have a lot of trouble with committing equally to all of the bands they're in (which can leave some people, the ones in the band not getting much commitment, a little angered). If you're worried about them getting angry at you, talk with them about it and assure them that you won't be skipping out on them for the other band. Best of luck!
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, unless you're playing guitar by thrashing your dick around the strings I see no application of guitar technique to sex.

My band, Two Days In February
Quote by RequiemofDemons
ya its not really cheating..lots of other musicians are in multiple bands...it usually happens when you write some music that doesnt really fit with the material the band your in usually plays...so you make another one that plays more to that style...but meh as long as your playing guitar and lovin it who cares how many bands your in lol

That's pretty much it. I really love the band that I'm in, but I have so many other things I want to do with music that just one project can't really fulfill at this point.
I'm currently in two bands, but that's because my first band wasn't really satisfying me. As long as the people in both bands know where they stand it should be ok, make sure that if they want you to not neglect the first band, that you don't.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
like everyone else is said, and like what is said in a lot of the threads in this forum, you just gotta split your time equally. If one band takes more priority than the other, you gotta ditch that other band. It's unfair for them to just get the left overs.
Quote by ride-the-spiral
I'm currently in two bands, but that's because my first band wasn't really satisfying me. As long as the people in both bands know where they stand it should be ok, make sure that if they want you to not neglect the first band, that you don't.

How do you manage your time between the two?

Quote by ASITHOS
I can see why your drummer characterized it the way he did. Some people who play in more than one band have a lot of trouble with committing equally to all of the bands they're in (which can leave some people, the ones in the band not getting much commitment, a little angered). If you're worried about them getting angry at you, talk with them about it and assure them that you won't be skipping out on them for the other band. Best of luck!

Yeah, I don't necessarily blame him for feeling that way. Sometimes my band can be a bit extreme (for example, I was caught drinking by parents and was unable to practice for nearly two months. They were pretty damn pissed.), but most of the time they are understanding, if not supportive.
Last edited by its_alive at Dec 3, 2009,
It shouldnt be a problem. I am in two bands myself. The great part about my bands is that one is a Hardcore/Punk band and the other is an acoustic band. That makes it a lot easier to decide which band gets which song. Also, this way I can get all of that slow acoustic stuff out of my system that would otherwise be influencing my Hardcore band.
There are lots of good socio-cultural reasons for monogamy, but there is no really good reason to expect exclusivity in your band relationships. Really.... why?

If someone in the band wanted to go to a quilting party on Tuesday nights, would you care? If someone wanted to take kickboxing on Saturday afternoons, would you care? No. And why should you?

So it shouldn't really be any different if, instead of quilting, stamp collecting, kick boxing, or learning Java, you decided to play music with another group of people.

The only thing you need to be mindful of is that you can't book gigs on the same night. The bass player for my original band plays in a cover band, and has for years. Never a problem. It's just a matter of communication.

There is also another level where priorities need to be established. I know a few people who play in a touring recording act, and they have all at one time or another - and most of them right now - play in other bands on the side. It is understood that the recording act takes precedent over any activities of the other bands. With our bass player, it was a matter of "first come first served." In effect, both bands were given equal consideration. If we wanted to play one night and his cover band was already booked, then we had to respect that - and vice-versa.

It's not a big deal at all. Most professional musicians do it. It's just a matter of handling it professionally.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Not a big deal. Just make sure which one has priority. What someone does with their time outside of your scheduled practices and shows is their business. As long as everyone is open and knows what's going on all should be good. I would raise an eyebrow though if he's trying to sneak around behind your back about it. That just screams 'I want to leave this band but won't til I can establish something else first'.

Sometimes it's just the need to play a different genre of music than your primary band. Hell, if I had the choice I'd quit my job and be in as many bands as I had time for.

As far as managing your time between the two, I'd be sure the second band knew about every practice and show scheduled, so they could work around it. Springing stuff on people that are dependant on you at the last minute is not a cool thing to do.
Quote by jdrier21
It shouldnt be a problem. I am in two bands myself. The great part about my bands is that one is a Hardcore/Punk band and the other is an acoustic band. That makes it a lot easier to decide which band gets which song. Also, this way I can get all of that slow acoustic stuff out of my system that would otherwise be influencing my Hardcore band.

Quote by JackFlash19

Sometimes it's just the need to play a different genre of music than your primary band. Hell, if I had the choice I'd quit my job and be in as many bands as I had time for.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. Being in a band (my current band is my first band) is an amazing feeling. My only real worry about having another is the fact that I do have to commit a lot of my free time to my current band. Sure, I'd be glad to make the sacrifices necessary to keep up with two bands, but I just don't know how well it would work.
I like the style of my band now (we're kind of a blues indie type thing) but I have been wanting to start either a funk rock band (which sounds like a pretty difficult task) or a punk-ish one.

By the way, thanks axemanchris. I do like feeling professional
Quote by its_alive
Yes, this is exactly how I feel. Being in a band (my current band is my first band) is an amazing feeling. My only real worry about having another is the fact that I do have to commit a lot of my free time to my current band. Sure, I'd be glad to make the sacrifices necessary to keep up with two bands, but I just don't know how well it would work.
I like the style of my band now (we're kind of a blues indie type thing) but I have been wanting to start either a funk rock band (which sounds like a pretty difficult task) or a punk-ish one.

If you already have to commit a lot of your free time to your current band you need to ask yourself what other free time you can commit to another band. Cutting down time with your current band is an option, but you would need to communicate with them and they may (especially the drummer) feel badly about this. Obviously in the perfect world they would all be professional about this, but in the real would you've got to weigh up whether it would cause too much tension in your current band and if you are prepared to deal with this.

In my current band nobody else has another band as such, but I write my own solo stuff. I can do this around the other band with ease as I'm not playing with other musicians in that solo project so there isn't a commitment problem. My bassist was in a band when our band started out but he didn't tell me. When I found out, I wasn't pissed off that he was in another band, I was pissed off that he'd kept it from me.
Everyone in my band is in a side project, everthing that axemanchris said is spot on the money and I would also add that being in more than one band makes you more musicaly proficient, which is obviously an advantage to your main band.
My drummer calls the other guitarist a music ***** for doing that.
In fact so do I, but it's all in good fun.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I was in 4 bands at one time in college. I played in them every week. I played pretty much every Sunday, Saturday, Wednesday and Thursday each with a different band. If any of them thought I wasn't giving it my best, they never said anything to me about it.

Like the other guys said, do as much as you can handle but know your limits. Knowing yourself is the key to many things in life, I've found.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
a better analogy
is being in two bands is like having two best friends
you need to see them equally and put as much effort into both of them
but theres nothing wrong with it

make sure you can handle both of them and if this ones more important than make sure the other band now its jsut for fun
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Quote by its_alive

Hey man, just give it a shot. so whats the worst that could happen? you find out that you can't handle a second band so you quit it and go back to just your first? 3 out of 4 guys in my band are in 2 bands. (separate bands mind you bringing the total to 4 bands we are involved in) It's all a matter of communication. Tell your drummer not to be so territorial and jealous. We over-opinionated people here at UG might start to think she has a vagina
*pun defiantly intended. lol
Last edited by jdrier21 at Dec 4, 2009,
I started playing drums in an experimental metal band, then me and the guitarist got recruited into a hardcore punk band as well. When the bassist for the experimental band needed surgery, we went on hiatus. In the meantime, I'm playing guitar for a hair metal side project that the guitarist sings for, and the keyboardist for the experimental band is drumming in an alt-rock band, all while still being parts of our other bands.

There's nothing wrong with a little musical polygamy.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by pitobodies
I started playing drums in an experimental metal band, then me and the guitarist got recruited into a hardcore punk band as well. When the bassist for the experimental band needed surgery, we went on hiatus. In the meantime, I'm playing guitar for a hair metal side project that the guitarist sings for, and the keyboardist for the experimental band is drumming in an alt-rock band, all while still being parts of our other bands.

There's nothing wrong with a little musical polygamy.

Really, they shouldn't have any problem with me being in another band. We steadily practice, but everyone usually has some things they will need to do over band practice (I play volleyball, so for example, a tournament) and this will not usually be questioned. I'm a musician, and I don't belong to the band, but the band belongs to me (and others). I'll bring it up today at practice, and at least get a conversation going about it. See what everyone's opinions are like. Thanks for the help so far, everyone.
Quote by TisPyon
its not like cheating at all, your drummer is dumb get a new one

he's a drummer remember?

but ya if you can pull it off then go for it i have a friend in 4 bands and hes got equal time for all of them, and its crazy

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Quote by Comrade Curry
It's not cheating, but make sure you give equal time to both of them or you will end up in only one.

In my experience, you'd better give equal time to both or you'll end up in none.
I had some problems with overlapping gigs that put me in a very difficult situation and led to me leaving (or kicked out) of the better band. There is nothing you can tell them when you have 2 gigs booked the same night but sorry, I'm an ass!
Quote by iwannabesedated
In my experience, you'd better give equal time to both or you'll end up in none.

But why?
lol think thats bad... should of herd the arguement I got into when my band found out I was writing alot more songs for myself as a side project then I was for them.
I can see where your drummer was coming from. He obviously wants everyone to be committed to the band, and being in multiple bands can distract you from one band. But if you can reasonably manage your time and still devote yourself to each group, then he should realize that its not a problem. Make him look at it as extra practice for you.
Update:
Drummer is now claiming he said nothing of the sort.
He says that multiple bands is fine as long as I continued putting effort into our current band and whatnot.
So, I think I'll be pursuing some other projects this summer! Exciting!
Not trying to bump the thread, just figured I should cap it off.
Wow what a slow reaction from the drummer. Is his timing off?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Good pun.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
There's no problem with it really. I play in two bands, one of which is much more serious than the other. The metal band is a proper serious thing with real ambitions. The other one is just me playing music with my friends. We play when we can but when we do it we mostly just **** about, eat KFC and play some Xbox.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Listen to AxeMan.

My drummer is in another band now that he just joined to play keys and while technically they're the more "successful" band, play more, record more and have a real manager and such, his priorities are still with because 1) we were all good friends before the band 2) we've been working as a band for 6 years and 3) he knows without him we'd likely just stop playing because he's so instumental to us, where for them he's icing on the cake.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
The drummer changed sides.

I think it's all good pretty much except I for one would just prefer to stick with the one band.

If they were totally different styles, and cover bands, then yeah, maybe, but for an original band we don't just do the one style anyway, so having an acoustic band and a harder band would mean nothing to me since we can do both those with the same band..

I would personally only consider it if I was doing something different to what I usually do, and right now I'm lead singer/rhythm guitar/keys of my band.
So I'd have to be like, lead guitarist or a drummer or something of another band to really make it feel like I wasn't being a d1ck.