Page 1 of 2
I would like to know your opinion on some of your favourite metal amplifiers.
I would like to purchase an amplifier HEAD with a 4 by 12.

Amps i've been looking at are:
-Mesa Boogie Mark 5
-Soldano SLO
-Orange rockerverb
-Marshal JVM
-THD flexi 50
-ENGL Powerball, fireball.

I have it narrowed down to those amps my favourite band is dream theater. i really like that sort of sound (I know john petrucci uses the mark 5) i like it allot but im trying to keep my eyes open to other options.. this is not for right now im hoping to get a job once i turn 15 so i will have money for stuff like this. im really looking ahead. perhaps by next summer i will upgrade my gear... i will be selling my marshall tsl 620.

i wont pay more then 3000 unless there is an AMAZING amplifier for under 5000. anyways just feel free to voice your opinion. i Like sortof a smooth distortion not INSANLY crunchy like some of those peavys but not buzzy/fuzzy like a mosqueto :P anyways.

btw i dont like comments saying LEARN HOW TO PLAY THE GUITAR YOU HAVE ONLY BEEN PLAYING FOR 6 MONTHS. I know allot of musical theory cuz i used to play the piano so ive got allot of musical background and i can play the guitar fairly well. and im sure by the time i actually by the gear i'll kick ass
It's all good man. The best thing to do is try the amps out for yourself. The powerball is pretty damn awesome though, you can a good variety of sounds with it.
Quote by britishsligean
mesa boogie triple rectifier, marshall jcm 800

+1.

Any of the Mesa Rec Series wouldn't be a bad option also. And a Peavey 5150/II or 6505/+.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
IMO the Mark V and the Engls are amazingly good sounding amps, but i've never triead a soldano or a thd... If you can try those amps and then chose the one you prefer.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
You're not even 15 and you're able to spend 3k and even 5k on an amp?!

I would say Mark V. Insane versatility- good cleans and drive.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by zappmi35
and im sure by the time i actually by the gear i'll kick ass

make sure you practice/take lessons dude cuz ive been playing for 2 years and im still horrible.

for an amp just get a USED Mark III and an Avatar cab. you dont need a very expensive amp/cab if you're still a bedroom/beginner/intermediate player

Quote by britishsligean

the rec is NOT GOOD for Dream Theatre
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Dec 3, 2009,
mesa boogie mark iic+
soldano slo
soldano avenger
mesa boogie mark iv
mesa boogie mark v
titan 2ch
vht ul
engl savage
engl se
marshall jcm800 2203kk
marshall jcm800 2205
peavey 6505 modded out

NOT
jvm
triple rectifier
rockerverb
powerballsack
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I would just get a cheaper amp, and keep saving. I don't say this because I think you'd somehow "not be worthy" or anything, so much as to say that if you don't really know what you want in an amp in that big of a price range, it's best to delay it a bit. That said, how are you paying for this? We'll give advice anyways, but that is the really pressing matter; 3,000 dollars is tough to come by on a 15 year old's salary, especially if you don't have the job yet.

Personally, if you had money now and wanted something, I'd vote SLO; I love those ****ers.

Edit: According to your profile, you have over 4,000 dollars in equipment? The Les Paul studio is 800 dollars of that, so what else do you have? Curiosity and all, plus it might help us figure what you want.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Last edited by Phantom123 at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
make sure you practice/take lessons dude cuz ive been playing for 2 years and im still horrible.

for an amp just get a USED Mark III and an Avatar cab. you dont need a very expensive amp/cab if you're still a bedroom/beginner/intermediate player

the rec is NOT GOOD for Dream Theatre

yeh i take lessons and ya im not fussy on the rectifier from what i've heared on youtube
I disagree with people trying to dissuade you from buying a nice amplifier; if you are willing to save up $2-3k, then by all means go for it. At this price range, you can pretty much get whatever you want; do you live near somewhere where you could try all of those amps side-by-side?
Quote by bokma
Try them and pick what sounds good to your liking.

unfortunatly the music stores in my area sell mostly vox, line 6, marshall, there is one place that sells hughes and kettner and soldano. i've heared someone play a soldano and i really like it. but i like what i've heared on the internet of some of those other amps i mentioned. and a guy at my school uses hughes and kettner and i dont wanna look like having the same thing as everyone else :P
Quote by imicius
I disagree with people trying to dissuade you from buying a nice amplifier; if you are willing to save up $2-3k, then by all means go for it. At this price range, you can pretty much get whatever you want; do you live near somewhere where you could try all of those amps side-by-side?

unfortunatly there arent many stores LARGE music stores in my area there are a few small ones im pretty sure there is one called long and maquade im still willing to check out that sells some nice amps and guitars ect.
and yeah I am looking for something a bit more versitile. so i can play different types of music with it... but MAINLY focussed on metal.
Quote by Phantom123
I would just get a cheaper amp, and keep saving. I don't say this because I think you'd somehow "not be worthy" or anything, so much as to say that if you don't really know what you want in an amp in that big of a price range, it's best to delay it a bit. That said, how are you paying for this? We'll give advice anyways, but that is the really pressing matter; 3,000 dollars is tough to come by on a 15 year old's salary, especially if you don't have the job yet.

Personally, if you had money now and wanted something, I'd vote SLO; I love those ****ers.

Edit: According to your profile, you have over 4,000 dollars in equipment? The Les Paul studio is 800 dollars of that, so what else do you have? Curiosity and all, plus it might help us figure what you want.

like i said earlier i will probably be getting a new amp sometime next summer.
money will be coming from a job that i will get when i TURN 15 everyone thinks im already 15 im 14 :P. i am pretty sure i will get it because i do allot of volunteer work.
and i will be buying it whenever i have the money theres really no rush.
Quote by zappmi35
like i said earlier i will probably be getting a new amp sometime next summer.
money will be coming from a job that i will get when i TURN 15 everyone thinks im already 15 im 14 :P. i am pretty sure i will get it because i do allot of volunteer work.
and i will be buying it whenever i have the money theres really no rush.

trust me dude finding a job at 15 is hard..... and the low pay wont easily give your 3000 in a year....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by britishsligean

whats the difference sound wise from the jcm800 and 900?
My personal favorites would be an FJA modded 5150II/6505+ or a Fryette Pitbull Ultra Lead or CLX.

It's really up to you though, there is no single "best metal amplifier" because there are so many different types of voicings, tube setup's etc.

Try to play as many as you like and go from there.
If price is no object, look at the Diezel, the Freyette and the Diamond amplifiers. The Diamond Nitrox has what is probably the most murderous high-gain tone you will ever encounter. If you want to save some money and still get a versatile tube amp with a great metal tone, look at Carvin's V3.
just so you know Petrucci only used the Mark V on a couple of rhythms on the new album, but I saw him live on tuesday and his tone was the best metal tone i've ever heard.

so crisp and clear.

is the ENGL invader or ENGL SE in your price range?
they're awesome.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
I second the Randall RM20 suggestion, as I have an RM100, and love it. Most versatile Tube amp around, period.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
was there any dream theater tone you were going for? cuz petrucci used a bunch of mesa amps.
early stuff- mk iic+
train of thought- Road King
Octavarium/Systamatic Chaos-mk 4
BC&SL-mk 4 and mk5
he's also used dual recto's and lonstar's
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Quote by FatalGear41
If price is no object, look at the Diezel, the Freyette and the Diamond amplifiers. The Diamond Nitrox has what is probably the most murderous high-gain tone you will ever encounter. If you want to save some money and still get a versatile tube amp with a great metal tone, look at Carvin's V3.

hey, you stole my line!

alright... lem'me dig out a couple backups...

whoever knocked the powerball/fireballs off the list, THANK YOU. overrated hot trash, but the invader is the shizz all the way... also really interrested to hear Morse's model (I'm a fan ).

TS, if you're looking into powernuts, take a look at the sig:X. same price range for an all around better, more versatile amp.

I love a good ol' JCM800, but if you think that's the sound you're going for, do yourself a favor and take a listen to a Splawn Nitro... hot-rodded JCM800 tone at a lower price.

oh, and I like the suggestions for the RM's. load up an RM100 with top notch modded modules for around 2500... last amp you'll ever need.

as Diamond Amps go, the Nitrox kinda' falls into the same territory as the 5150/6505, albeit with a little more british flavor. that is to say, more gain than you could ever use, literally, like even Jeff says so in the manual (good little read if you ever find the time). don't get me wrong, I like the Nitrox, but the Phantom is where it's really at. that thing is a goddamn ear-gazm every time I hear it.

to wrap it up, there's a reason why Mesa MkIIC+, MkIII, MkIV, (soon to be) MkV, 2ch and early 90's 3ch dual recs, triple recs, road kings, lonestars and aces are studio mainstays. same goes for Peavey 5150/6505's and II's/+'s.
Just to add.

I suggest you don't go out and blow all your money on ONE amp. All these amps sound significantly different from each other.

Go check out cheap tube amps until you know what you want. By going used, you reduce the cost of depreciation that you have to bear, and still get to test a variety of amps.

The hunt for a perfect tone doesn't really end, and what you call a perfect tone now, might not be so a few years down the road.

Go test and play the amps before you actually settle on the amp you really want.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Somebody hasn't thought this plan through, have they?

Dream Theater, yeah, the Peavey JSX might be up your street, so might an old Mesa.

Or, perhaps the Marshall JVM?

ok, first of all, I'm assuming TS doesn't want to exactly replicate Petrucci's tone. TS, trust me, that's a bad idea.

wedgie, I'm pretty sure it' been well noted on this thread by others and myself that JP uses MkIV's. that hasn't been a "secret" for a very long time. so then, where does the JSX and JVM fit into the picture? both fine amps, although I personally find the JVM extremely overpriced, and I believe others would agree. my question for you, since you've clearly "thought this plan through," is how do they become the best possible options for TS?
My vote goes toward the MK V. Mesas are worth the money, and not relatively expensive if you're talking 3-5K. I played an F:50 and honestly I woulda been happy with that.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Please look at the Diezel Einstein. This amp will do everything you asked for and much much more.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by GrisKy
ok, first of all, I'm assuming TS doesn't want to exactly replicate Petrucci's tone. TS, trust me, that's a bad idea.

wedgie, I'm pretty sure it' been well noted on this thread by others and myself that JP uses MkIV's. that hasn't been a "secret" for a very long time. so then, where does the JSX and JVM fit into the picture?

I'm just commenting on what might be a good amp for him, but in the first post he put a Fireball and Powerball, which I didn't think would be at all for Dream Theater kind of tone.
Then, while in fact watching them on TV, I remembered the JSX which actually sounds like the tone the Mark IV was giving out. A bit more of a personal kind of tone, I don't want him to replicate the exact tone, so I am not recommending the Mark IV.

Now you get why I've thought it through, right?
Well if your gonna spend that much dough then you should look at:

Mesa Boogie (Mk V, Roadking)
Diezel (Einstein, VH4, Herbert)
Bogner Uberschall
Engl (SE, Invader)
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Learn How To Play The Guitar You Have Only Been Playing For 6 Months.

do it
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
whats wrong with your TSL?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I'm just commenting on what might be a good amp for him, but in the first post he put a Fireball and Powerball, which I didn't think would be at all for Dream Theater kind of tone.
Then, while in fact watching them on TV, I remembered the JSX which actually sounds like the tone the Mark IV was giving out. A bit more of a personal kind of tone, I don't want him to replicate the exact tone, so I am not recommending the Mark IV.

Now you get why I've thought it through, right?

MkIV alone doesn't give you petrucci. if it did, LOG and DT would sound the same. the wall of rack gear in petrucci's rig not to mention the fact that it's JP playing it is the difference I was talking about.

doesn't look like you've thought it through either.
^^
you can get the train of thought tone with a road king, but every other album has too many effects to duplicate
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Page 1 of 2