Hi, Ive mainly been playing solos over the past few years, and only now getting into chords. I have picked up a new book call Picture Chord Encyclopedia. It has over 2,600 guitar chords in it. Ive been messing around with some power chords, and they're really fun to play, but I was wondering if someone with knowledge of using chords could direct me to the types of chords to play for that rock and roll sound, something a bit heavier.

It has many listings for the following ?keys? and they all have pictures on them to help the process.

C, D, E, F, G, A, B.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm playing through a Fender MIM Strat, Fulltone OCD, Deluxe Reverb Re.
Last edited by mylittlepiggy at Dec 3, 2009,
Majors. minors. sevenths. suspended.powers
This is all you need for rock'n'roll.
but the more you know the better
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
You can use barre chords. I haven't thought about what type of chord they actually are but they are used quite often.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Barre chords are pretty much the most essential thing to learn for rock music. That's just major and minor chords. Power chords can be useful too. If you want to spice things up seventh chords, ninth chords, diminished chords, suspended chords, and other stuff like that can add a bit of flavor.
Quote by tenfold
Maybe you should learn theory.

this
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
I'm hijacking this thread slightly. Is there a list/chord boxes online of popular rock chord voicings, mostly for majors, minors, dominants, and suspended chords. I'd like to be able to compose songs in a classic wrong style and learning the voicings used by the who, beatles etc would help.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
I'm hijacking this thread slightly. Is there a list/chord boxes online of popular rock chord voicings, mostly for majors, minors, dominants, and suspended chords. I'd like to be able to compose songs in a classic wrong style and learning the voicings used by the who, beatles etc would help.

I'm not going to give you a link.

You'd be better off learning about chord construction, and then be able to come up with your own voicings. If you really want to be lazy you could do a google search yourself rather than asking someone else to do one for you (if you find a link and want to know if its correct, we can verify that for you after you've posted a link). I wouldn't advise it though, as you won't get alot out of it, and creating your own voicings really is quite easy once you know a bit of theory.
Quote by tehREALcaptain
power chords and bar chords and open position chords mostly.

Those are methods of playing chords, not actually chords.
Quote by tehREALcaptain
power chords and bar chords and open position chords mostly.

To be specific, TS:

Power Chords = 5th chords which are when you play the root note and the 5th.
ex. C G or C G C

Barre Chords = Major and/or Minor chords.
ex. G D G B D G (major) or G D G Bb D G (minor)

Open Chords = Major and/or Minor Chords played in the open position. (Lower fretboard with open notes.)
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by RockGuitar92

Open Chords = Major and/or Minor Chords played in the open position. (Upper fretboard with open notes.)

Open chords are typically played using open strings and the lower fretboard.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Open chords are typically played using open strings and the lower fretboard.

I meant lower. My bad. Sometimes I think backwards.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid