I had a "What would be a good jack-of-all-trades guitar?" thread a couple days ago.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1238360

I saw an RG350DX with HSH pick-ups at my local guitar shop. For $629 (prolly 710 with tax). I don't know anything about this, but it has an INF3 pickup in the neck and bridge, and an INF4 pup in the bridge. 5-way selector switch. And some kind of trem system. A ZR system?

Anybody have any experience with it? Or is there another guitar someone would reccomend?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I was thinking of trying one out too.
The only question I can answer is the bridge will be an edge (probably III)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Hmmm... seems like a good guitar but I'd go with a Prestige. How much money do you wanna spend?
Proud user of Apple hardware!
Old, terrible powertabs

Quote by whoomit
Don't start, or I'll logic you right in the thyroid.
I own one of these, it really is a versatile guitar. I play alot of punk and metal but this thing can handle cleans fine with the neck pickup. If you want to play high gain stuff replace the bridge pickup, I replaced mine with a dimarzio super distortion and it sounds bitchin. Only downside is the floyd rose. It's great at first but after about six months it stops holding tune as well, still holds fine for just playing but if you use alot of vibrato or abuse the whammy bar it'll go out pretty much instantly.
How much is a prestige? Atthough, I have only been playing for a year, and this would be my first electric. Am I aiming a bit too high? $700 would probaly be my max.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I owned a 350DX for a while. It's a good guitar but you'll probably find yourself wanting something different before too long. The Edge III is pretty hit-or-miss. Some will last years as long as they're kept set up properly. Some won't make 6 months regardless of how you baby them.

I'd actually suggest an RG321 or, if you don't mind ordering from the US, an RG2EX1. Neither have a floating bridge but both have that superb Ibanez playability. That and they're both guitars that you can grow as a musician with. Sink a new set of pickups into either and you'll have a bitchin guitar.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
You are paying extra for the pickups, like others have said. I would look for a different one for under $400. You can pay more for the better pickups, but if you are paying $700 it would be stupid to not buy a prestige. I have one and love it. It looks great, it feels great. The tremolo isn't amazing, but once you get used to it, it is not bad.. Don't know what else to tell you. I'd say it's a pretty good guitar for the price.
Quote by In_Black_Flames
You are paying extra for the pickups, like others have said. I would look for a different one for under $400. You can pay more for the better pickups, but if you are paying $700 it would be stupid to not buy a prestige. I have one and love it. It looks great, it feels great. The tremolo isn't amazing, but once you get used to it, it is not bad.. Don't know what else to tell you. I'd say it's a pretty good guitar for the price.

i'm pretty sure the inf3 and inf4 are stock
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Ibanez Rg350m YE
Roland Cube 80X
Squier Acoustic << AWESOME
I had one,
didn't too much care for it.
I traded for an Ibanez RG3EX1
it's better, IMO.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
Quote by summguy
i'm pretty sure the inf3 and inf4 are stock

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right actually..
I wouldn't bother with middle range rg's to be honest, I'd say either get an rg321 or, like ch0 said, an rg2ex1 and go without a tremelo, or save up and get a prestige with a trem that works.
Quote by ch0
I owned a 350DX for a while. It's a good guitar but you'll probably find yourself wanting something different before too long. The Edge III is pretty hit-or-miss. Some will last years as long as they're kept set up properly. Some won't make 6 months regardless of how you baby them.

I'd actually suggest an RG321 or, if you don't mind ordering from the US, an RG2EX1. Neither have a floating bridge but both have that superb Ibanez playability. That and they're both guitars that you can grow as a musician with. Sink a new set of pickups into either and you'll have a bitchin guitar.

How much is this RG321 setup? Sorry to ask again, but does anyone else knwo of any versatile guitars? (I live in Canada, and we only have 1 small store in my town.) What kind of pick-ups would you put in it? (I might not have access to them though.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
How much is this RG321 setup? Sorry to ask again, but does anyone else knwo of any versatile guitars? (I live in Canada, and we only have 1 small store in my town.) What kind of pick-ups would you put in it? (I might not have access to them though.

You can pick up a 321 as cheap as any starter guitar, and I'd put EMG's in it but I imagine ch0 will disagree with that . The body is basswood so whatever you think sounds good with that.
Is an RG321 better than a RG2EX? Is it a toss-up?

EDIT: RG2EX1? or RG2EX2?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Dec 3, 2009,
The 350DX is a pretty good guitar, especially for the price. I owned one and was pretty satisfied. The stock pups aren't too bad, the neck is very fast (with a setup) and the tremolo (Edge III, btw) is... Well, it will hold up for atleast a year or top two if you treat it good . But hands down, the guitar is versatile as he*l! I liked it.

I dunno why, but I bought a Jackson dk2m and after playing that one, I sold my RG350DX...
Gear:

Eastone ST-1
Jackson RR3 Limited Edition
Kustom Arrow 16
Line 6 POD X3 Live
The Box MA-120 MK-II
Quote by Laslow
Toss-up. Different pups, that's about it, other than colour etc...
Whoops, the RG321 is only sold in Canada (and the US) as the RG321MH, which is made of mahogany. So the difference is pickups and body wood.

As for pickups, I really can't stand when people put anything but DiMarzios into Ibanez guitars. That being said, there's no logical reason why another pickup may not serve you needs better.

Anyways, buying a new Ibanez in Canada right now is horrid. I bought a 321MH a year ago for $310+tax. That was a fine price and I was happy to pay. Now though, now they're $385+tax at Long & McQuade. If you can, order a guitar from the states. Yes, you won't be able to play the guitar you're getting before getting it, but as long as you can try a guitar of the same model you should know what you're getting into.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Whoops, the RG321 is only sold in Canada (and the US) as the RG321MH, which is made of mahogany. So the difference is pickups and body wood.

As for pickups, I really can't stand when people put anything but DiMarzios into Ibanez guitars. That being said, there's no logical reason why another pickup may not serve you needs better.

Anyways, buying a new Ibanez in Canada right now is horrid. I bought a 321MH a year ago for $310+tax. That was a fine price and I was happy to pay. Now though, now they're $385+tax at Long & McQuade. If you can, order a guitar from the states. Yes, you won't be able to play the guitar you're getting before getting it, but as long as you can try a guitar of the same model you should know what you're getting into.

- I like mahogany. It seems solid.
- I'll try and find these.
- Will do.

I'm going to the West Edmonton Mall in Alberta, Canada soon too. They might have some good guitars there too. Probably better than the ones we have here. Considering its like the biggest mall in Canada.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Dec 4, 2009,