Page 1 of 2
One question: Why did you choose Bass Guitar? I could understand picking an electric; almost every rock song ever written has a clearly audible guitar. But most of the time, you can barely even hear the bass, even when that's all you are listening for. I'm not trying to be offensive to bassists, I was just wondering.
I picked it up because i love funk and motown, and you really hear the bass more in that. Also, slapping sound awesome.
Seriously, f*ck off with the R.I.P Dimebag bullsh*t, you dont see the bass forums going R.I.P Jaco everytime some one mentions him!
Because it sounds awesome? Plus I started out playing guitar, but wanted to try something different
I hate when bands bury the bass in the mix. I do not play bass, but I think it's one of the most important features in a song. This is why I like Iron Maiden and Opeth so much You can always hear the bass, lol.

Anyway! Bass is one bad ass instrument, from funky slapping to insane technical death metal stuff to bluesy sections etc.

It's a slap in the face to hear no bass! (hey, I should go protest with that on my sign)
I picked it up, because i listened to early Red hot chili peppers. I don't even play bass like Flea, but it just made me wanna pick up the bass. I actually started on electric Guitar, but i saw it as just aggravating how many people who played guitar were so cocky and always said something about "oh i'm so much better than you." or some shit. Bassist don't seem to be like that, bass has a more accepting community. I've never once been torched while posting on the bass forum. Just seems like bass is more calm. It's simpler, and in all honesty, i don't have the self-esteem to be a Lead guitar xD.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 AC BXP 4-String Bass
Fender BXR 60 watt
Squier Fender Stratocaster 20th anniversary edition\
Pignose acoustic
Samick D1/SN
I played the double bass (the upright) first and 6 string before i played electric bass and it just kinda stuck.
I dont have a big enough ego to play guitar and i like the freedom on bass that guitar doesn't have. Bass is simply cooler.
Theres no shortage of brilliant basslines and the only reason bass should be burried in a recording is that its low quality. If the sound engineer knows what he's doing you should be able to hear bass all the time!
Bass is extremely important in any song I write. I don't play bass often, guitar is my main instrument, but I can still play decently. And seriously, bad-ass bassists aren't nearly as common as bad-ass guitarists. It just makes it that much more bad-ass.
Because I'm so sexy I had to get rid of the girls somehow.

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
i (and in my experience most bassists) picked up the bass for 4 reasons

1. my friend wanted to form a band and needed either a guitarist or Bassist
2. my favorite bands at the time had a very audible and good bass player
3. i like to be different
4. It sounded more fun than a guitar to play
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Last edited by Drmckool at Dec 3, 2009,
i started playing to try something different and because the guys i jammed with needed a bass player since no one had one and could play well. so i got one for like 50 bucks and started. some basslines are just so sweet that no one can deny that it sounds amazing ie: tool - the pot, rhcp - higher ground, etc..

ps - girls love the sound of a good bass player
- 1997 PRS CE24 - Raspberry -
- Peavey 6505+ 1x12 Combo -
- Dunlop 535Q Wah Pedal -
- Digitech Digital Delay -
- Digitech Multi Chorus -
Quote by Videoboy88
One question: Why did you choose Bass Guitar? I could understand picking an electric; almost every rock song ever written has a clearly audible guitar. But most of the time, you can barely even hear the bass, even when that's all you are listening for. I'm not trying to be offensive to bassists, I was just wondering.

wrong. most of the stuff you're just hearing just has inaudible bass.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I play bass because of muscle that the bass provides for music.
Jackson DXMG With SD Blackouts
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez GSR205EX
Acoustic B200H W/ Acoustic B410
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Nutter_101
Because I'm so sexy I had to get rid of the girls somehow.

+1

can't get em off.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Hm. As I recall, it was the beginning of the eleventh grade. Two friends and I were going to try to start a band. None of us played anything. I had always primarily been interested in writing, so my main contribution was going to be lyrics. We were going to form a pop-punkish / indie-emoish band and I knew (mostly from watching Mikey Way play) that, in that particular genre, bass was very easy to play, so I agreed to play bass so that I'd be able to sing at the same time.
That's how it started, anyway. Eventually, I started to get into new music, branched out, picked up the guitar, taught my girlfriend music theory & bass, and now she's a much better bassist than I am.
Quote by Videoboy88

You are correct in that a lot of classic rock tunes have the bass buried in the mix. But if you were to take it out, you would definitely notice it. The bass is an amazing instrument and there are so many great players doing incredible things with it. After hearing Starship Trooper by Yes, I moved from guitar to bass. I haven't looked back. And with a powerful bass amp, no one can bury you in the mix live. Hell, they can take you out of the mix and you can still play loud enough to topple tall buildings.
I knew some people. They needed a bassist. They decided I was a cool person and though that bass was pretty easy, so I acquired some bass equipment.

So now I've been playing for like 3 years....
Quote by Drmckool
i (and in my experience most bassists) picked up the bass for 4 reasons

1. my friend wanted to form a band and needed either a guitarist or Bassist
2. my favorite bands at the time had a very audible and good bass player
3. i like to be different
4. It sounded more fun than a guitar to play

All four of those reasons for me lol. And a fifth reason, and it's one I'm a bit ashamed of... It just seemed easier than guitar. Now I know that that's not true(well, for some shitty bands it is) and I'm happy that I chose bass over guitar.
Because guitarists are a dime a dozen - We had 15 guitarists respond to our band add for ever 1 bassist

Because bassist are critical - We've rehearsed without our guitarist countless times without too much of an issue. Last night our bassist was running late and we couldn't play anything properly without him, So much so that I went and got my bass out of the car and got our guitarist to put down his 6 strings and play the bass so we could actually do some rehearsing.

Because I'm primarily a drummer - As a drummer you develop a real bond with the bassist and it's crucial that you mesh well. Bass/Drums are the driving force of the band if it's not working everything goes to hell.
The quick answer for me is that bass has a force behind it that guitar lacks. I've been playing guitar for almost three years, and bass for one. After I started playing bass, I didn't play guitar nearly as much. The reason? When I played guitar after the bass, it suddenly felt weak, in every sense. My fingers were stronger (high action and lots of Geddy Lee and Mic Todd bass lines), so I can barely even feel the guitar strings when I press them down, and when I play it sounds like it lacks something important, like it's hollow or something.

My first inspiration was Mike Dirnt from Green Day. Have your laugh. Then I moved on to Coheed and Cambria, and some Rush. It seems like I just have more of a knack for bass, too. In one year, I learned more songs on the bass than I did in three for guitar. Granted, there aren't any fancy jazz improv or bass solo songs in my repertoire, but I'm not really into that kind of thing.
My heart beats in 4/4, not the other way around.

Do your part. Join TVTropes.
Because:
A) It sounded cool
B)I already knew how to read bass cleft
C)I was lazy and would rather have played 4 strings than 6. (I eventually got over this seeing a I also now have a 6 string guitar too)
i had musician friends one was a guitarist one was a drummer

guess what i got

true story but i play because i like being unique, way too many guitarists out there, plus you get such a mad high when you hit your groove in a jam session
Because my brother made me.

No, really. I was talking about starting, but never went out to look at instruments or anything. My brother and my best friend, both guitarists, went out and bought a dean edge and a peavey starter amp and gave it to me for graduation. can't say no to free stuff.

Also, Chris Squire, Billy Sheehan, and John Paul Jones. Yes, Blues Traveler, and Zeppelin. All have/had some of the best and most audible bassists.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by Videoboy88

What got me started on bass was hearing the funky rhythms of 70's bassist and listening to alot of rise against and chili peppers.Also what got me started was hearing the amazingly fast slapping and popping of the funk bands and i decided i wanted to do that and ive been playing for 2 years and i haven't stopped playing since i was 16.I also just love getting into a groove that i never want to stop playing so i usually play for hours and have massive blisters cause i like to do slides.
I started playing because of a hardcore band called Wintch Mob, I think every bass player should check them out. You can hear the bass in every song and it sounds awesome.
two words: Geddy Lee.... jk but I wanted to pick something up and drums were out of the question. Went to the music store and tried guitar and bass and liked it much much better. It just felt right
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
Because I had more fun playing bass then playing guitar. And because I wanted work in a band, and the guitarist to bassist ratio in my hometown was like 40:1
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Because I had more fun playing bass then playing guitar. And because I wanted work in a band, and the guitarist to bassist ratio in my hometown was like 40:1

yea no joke, its hard enough meeting people to play without adding in the guitar thing
Quote by samskii
Because my brother made me.

No, really. I was talking about starting, but never went out to look at instruments or anything. My brother and my best friend, both guitarists, went out and bought a dean edge and a peavey starter amp and gave it to me for graduation. can't say no to free stuff.

Also, Chris Squire, Billy Sheehan, and John Paul Jones. Yes, Blues Traveler, and Zeppelin. All have/had some of the best and most audible bassists.

Billy Sheehan is in Blues Traveler?

I hope not.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

bass is probably the most common instrument theese days right next to drums. more common then electric guitar for sure.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
bass is probably the most common instrument theese days right next to drums. more common then electric guitar for sure.

eh?

eh?

WTF.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Emergancy Exit

Sarcasm?

Or do you live in the magical land promised to all us bassists when we die, where bass is the most prevalent instrument?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
i had played flute since year 3 and as stupid as it sounds, i had grown tired of higher notes. i would probably have started something like cello - i love them - but had been listening to muse and queen alot at the time and i decided to try bass. one of the best decisions i ever made.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I started because I got sick of hearing people say "If you use a pick, you're garbage."

I proved those homos wrong
Quote by eterom11
Yes, it is then!

You are truly a god among men.

Quote by Pancakehead
Dear Scribbllez I Googled it my good sir,
A hearty lol it did stir.

Ending Autumn
I was always listening to music with audible bass, but never took it as option. Been saving up for cello or guitar, till i went to one gig. Sound was horrible, vocals horrible, and due to technical difficulties there was almost no guitar in mix. I heard pure bass sound and it felt like sex ^_^
Tho I still intend on getting cello some day, but bass is my main tool. Just love the freedom it gives.

P.S. tho someone above said chords aren't important on bass - i must strongly disagree. They can really spice up groove.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Last edited by C0_0kie at Dec 4, 2009,
i played keyboard first but i was listening to a lot of muse and tarot and both have such good bassists that i decided i wanted to play bass as well. plus damn near everyone plays guitar and thanks to that, i'm now in a band myself
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
I find I can really express myself better on bass. It was a more aggressive sounding instrument. I can play guitar quite well too, but it's not the same.
[
I find I can really express myself better on bass. It was a more aggressive sounding instrument. I can play guitar quite well too, but it's not the same.

Bass just has more balls, period.
Well, It was actually more of an accident for me, and started about two summers ago. I was looking through Guitarcenters Acoustic Room, because my (only) acoustic at the time was dying (as in, the neck was about to break off). I was looking around, and I noticed a Michael Kelly Club Custom 5. I picked it up out of curiosity, and tried playing a guitar riff on it (I had no knowledge of bass, back off). Anyway, I started to really like the sound of it. I ended up taking her home. I've since sold off my electric and am looking for a job to get ahold of an Acoustic B200, because I finally tried to join a band. Now, I'm holding the low end and loving it.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Page 1 of 2