I'm reassembling an Ibanez Rg 350DX that I ganked off a friend because it was rusting in a corner, and decided to bring the thing back to life.
I have disassembled the floyd rose and am putting it back together now.
I've been reading guides all over the place, so I sort of know what I'm doing, but this is the first time I've ever tried to mess with more than the spring tension on a floyd, so I was looking for a little help.
First off: There are two holes in which I can place the screw that holds down the bridge saddle, so I'm wondering which one to use? Some basic tips on how to set the thing up BEFORE I put new strings on it would be cool.
Second: I'm confused on how exactly you change the intonation while you have strings on...
I know about the 12th fret harmonic and the open fret tuning to figure it out, blah blah blah, but if I loosen the screw while a string is tight on there, there isn't anything else holding the saddle down, so it's going to go flying from all the pressure of the string.
Can someone just very briefly give me a step by step for what to do when I'm sitting there with strings on it?

Thanks...
p.s. I'm planning on putting Rotosound 11s on, so they're fairly thick strings.
I have an RG 350 DX and I gotta tell you one thing. They are difficult. Good guitar, just difficult. It actually has an Ibanez Edge III trem, not a Floyd Rose, so you cannot use an intonation tool to set it. It is pretty much guess work, check the intonation, loosen the string, then the saddle, move it to compensate (this part is guesswork), and the re-tune the string and check it again. It is a pain in the ass. Trust me, lol, I looked it up myself to adjust mine. Good luck.
There are 3 different heights for saddles, the match the radius of your neck, the D and G saddles are highest, A and B middle, and E and e lowest.

Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
First off: There are two holes in which I can place the screw that holds down the bridge saddle, so I'm wondering which one to use? Some basic tips on how to set the thing up BEFORE I put new strings on it would be cool.

You can start off in either one

Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
Second: I'm confused on how exactly you change the intonation while you have strings on...
I know about the 12th fret harmonic and the open fret tuning to figure it out, blah blah blah, but if I loosen the screw while a string is tight on there, there isn't anything else holding the saddle down, so it's going to go flying from all the pressure of the string.

When you do the 12th fret harmonic for intonation, loosen the string so theres no tension, loosen the screw on the saddle, if it came up sharp, move the saddle a little to the bridge, if it's flat, move it to the neck. Re tighten the the string, tune it, check intonation. Repeat
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
ok, so basically I want to just choose a screw hole randomly, and then once I get the strings all tightened up and stretched out, I want to take each string and start tuning with the harmonic (with the locking tuners off) by seeing whether it's sharp or flat, then loosening the string to the point where it won't rip the saddle out when I loosen the saddle screw, then do according to this:
fretted note #/harmonic = increase string length
fretted note b/harmonic = shorten string length

and then I go back and tighten the string back up (long process) and test it out again with the harmonic?
lather, rinse, repeat???
just confused on specifics
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
ok, so basically I want to just choose a screw hole randomly, and then once I get the strings all tightened up and stretched out, I want to take each string and start tuning with the harmonic (with the locking tuners off) by seeing whether it's sharp or flat, then loosening the string to the point where it won't rip the saddle out when I loosen the saddle screw, then do according to this:
fretted note #/harmonic = increase string length
fretted note b/harmonic = shorten string length

and then I go back and tighten the string back up (long process) and test it out again with the harmonic?
lather, rinse, repeat???
just confused on specifics

This helped me alot. Floyd Rose Setup
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
This helped me alot. Floyd Rose Setup

Okay, your last post actually solved most of the problems I still had in the post that I put before I saw your answer.

Lastly, little tiny question:
there are washers (very thin ones) on the saddle screws.
I'm wondering if these are supposed to be on top of the saddle, or underneath it?
I didn't happen to pay enough attention when taking it apart, as I have a habit of doing.

Now, I'm going to check that link you gave me.
I used this video to setup my Edge on my JEM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyg_sEACdE

Great video.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
Okay, your last post actually solved most of the problems I still had in the post that I put before I saw your answer.

Lastly, little tiny question:
there are washers (very thin ones) on the saddle screws.
I'm wondering if these are supposed to be on top of the saddle, or underneath it?
I didn't happen to pay enough attention when taking it apart, as I have a habit of doing.

Now, I'm going to check that link you gave me.

Not too sure about the Edge III trem and those washers, but looking at some pics on google, it looks like there is some small washers under the heads of the saddle screws. Should get a conformation from someone else with one
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Okay thanks everyone, and KOSHMAN, that guide is freaking awesome. I've faved it to my desktop. Very useful!
I'm going to get to work on the bloody thing now.
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
Okay thanks everyone, and KOSHMAN, that guide is freaking awesome. I've faved it to my desktop. Very useful!
I'm going to get to work on the bloody thing now.

Yea I was glad I found it when I got my Jackson.

Don't forget there's also plenty of YouTube videos on the subject that are also helpful.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings