http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaSp2vdfkGE

(copied from the description): Ok so, I need major help on the waking the demon main riff. Please note, this is NOT a cover and that I'm well aware that it sucks, which is why I'm posting this for HELP. I have only been playing for only six months and this song comes as a challenge to me. Please leave CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and help me improve. Thanks!
Last edited by augustschecter at Dec 3, 2009,
Quit playing along to the song. Play with a metronome only. When you play along with the song, you're hearing your sloppy playing along with Synyster and Zacky's clean playing, which masks your mistakes.

There's not much we can tell you other than that besides slow down. Practice it at a very slow speed so you can internalize the movements, and gradually build it up.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
sadly can't do downpicking haha, can't get it that fast
and its Matt tuck and Michael Paget, not synyster and zacky ;]
Quote by augustschecter
sadly can't do downpicking haha, can't get it that fast
and its Matt tuck and Michael Paget, not synyster and zacky ;]

Whoops, wrong band, my mistake. What I said about the playing still applies though. If you want to learn to downpick that quickly, you have to slow down like I said.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Whoops, wrong band, my mistake. What I said about the playing still applies though. If you want to learn to downpick that quickly, you have to slow down like I said.

Alright, Thanks!
Are you palm muting the notes on the C string? I cant tell from the video. And if your not, you should be. Itll help clean up your sound a lot
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
for playing for only 6 months that's very good man. As for playing along a song i think it's fine as long as you turn the volume down so you can hear everything you are playing. Sometimes playing along the band gets you in the right state of mind and helps you nail the riffs that you're working on. Keep up the playing!
Thanks so much for the feed back! I took all your suggestions seriously and so far all of them are working out great. Palm muting has seemed to clean up my sound a bit, but it makes it a bit more difficult to play since I have to take my hand off to play the C string notes. I've also started practicing with a metronome instead of the song, that too is helping a whole lot.
Yeah, it's difficult to take your hand away for un-palm-muted notes but you'll get used to it.
It's good you are using a metronome, and I hope you're downpicking (pick from the wrist, don't tense the arm).