My First Thread Evar! =)

This is kind of hard to explain but I've noticed that when I play a song like Under the Bridge by RHCP where theres a lot of single notes, It ends up sounding choppy. Like too clean or something. Hopefully this makes sense. Is there a proper technique to make the notes flow better or sound more fluent? Ive only been playing for about 8 months so I really want to fix this so I don't screw up any other songs lol. Thanks in advance!
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa
Last edited by GuitarFretteret at Dec 3, 2009,
If it's possible, keep the note fretted as long as you can
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
i'm sure there's ways to work on that, but most guitarists just grow out of that phase after a little while. it really just takes getting your fretting hand more comfortable playing the song.
Sounds like you're talking about

A) Tremolo picking, where the notes are alternately picked in doubles, triplets, etc, so that the notes are subdivided and it is played very fast. Basically, it's playing notes very quickly using alternate picking.

or

B) Muted rakes, where you mute the strings with your fret hand and drag the pick across (up and/or down) all strings in order to sound a dull tone. It's usually (or very commonly) used in conjunction with a wah pedal.

Those are my guesses as to what you're talking about. I haven't heard Under The Bridge in forever, though. As far as getting better at any technique, the answer is just keep practicing it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
You need to practice your timing. When you go to fret another note, be sure to pick and fret the note simultaneously. Don't lift your fingers up far away from the neck.
Be sure to practice this slowly.
hold down your finger after you play the note.it will come with practice
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial