I know how to play drums but I just recently got some and I don't know what way to tune them, which way tightens it and which way loosenings it? Also, if I loosen it to much then do the drum heads come off?
Any help is apprecated
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

If you give a mouse a cookie,satan will get angry
Rightey tightey, lefty loosey. Hit the drum head at the point closest to the nut, to check for tuning. Make sure all hits sound the same. Tune in a star pattern. If you loosen it too much, yes, the drum head can actually come off. I was taught to tune the drum head minimally; and until there are no ripples in the head.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Cool and thanks a lot! That helps a lot
(\__/)

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

I haven't played my drum set in so long simply because I fail so much at tuning drum heads. I just can't get them to sound even halfway decent.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Along the lines of weezer to beatles sounding drums
(\__/)

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

either do as another post said, (putting your fist in the center of the head and pressing down slightly and tightening head until wrinkles go away), or tune top head to a desirable pitch and tune bottom head up a little from top to get a more live sound. there's so many ways to tune a drum, those are a few ways to tune toms.
bass drum, i tune the heads as low as the claws on the rim will allow to get a punchy click.
snare drums, tune both heads fairly tight, but not to the point they will not ring or have excessive stick rebound, and tune the lugs around the snare strands about a half turn lower.
you'll have to try and see what works for you.hope that helps.