do you think historically correct bands, like Iron maiden, are nerd music?

Page 1 of 2
my buddy, who dont get me wrong, is a fan of iron maiden, always talks about how they are true nerd metal but not alot of ppl realise it.

he thinks that since they since about historically correct wars/battles, it is in disguise nerd metal.

makes no difference to me good music imo, but whats your take on "nerd music" is it nerdy since its historically correct?

edit\ no need to take offense people, just a boredom question.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Dec 3, 2009,
It entirely depends on what your definition of nerd is
a nerd is something different to everyone
Quote by subzero364
Iron Maiden have had more sex than your friend, therefore he's the nerd.

I concur.
Bruce does have a degree in History, might have something to do with it.

I think he does anyway :P
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Quote by Holy Katana
Why do you always abbreviate "people?"

i dunno rubs off from texting i guess, never realized it lol

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Your friend is stupid for thinking that, and you're stupid for having to ask if he was right.

[/asshole]
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
silly question is silly

also Anchorhead is real nerd metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whUr3Xxl9zc
Quote by The Kush
This should be put in the ****ing Bible.

Quote by Våd Hamster
You are an inspiration.

Quote by Blackwaterson89
Listen to TheBlessed Dead. The man is a genius. There should be a man of genius song about him. Stephen Hawking has nothing on TheBlessed Dead.
they're not always historically correct eg some parts of alexander the great.
I would call it nerdy though. but thats not a bad thing.
Quote by archangels666
So basically writing about the truth makes you a nerd?

Well, now we can at least clear up that whole library confusion about fiction/nonfiction.

It'll be much less confusing as:
-Fiction
-Nerdy.

But what about novels that deal with esoteric subject matter?
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Your friend is stupid for thinking that, and you're stupid for having to ask if he was right.

[/asshole]

im not asking if hes right, iv already made my decision on it, im curious of yours

douche

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by archangels666
So basically writing about the truth makes you a nerd?

Well, now we can at least clear up that whole library confusion about fiction/nonfiction.

It'll be much less confusing as:
-Fiction
-Nerdy.

You don't go and write about in a metal song though.

AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT SOCIETY WANTS YOU TO THINK NON CONFORMITY FTW
Come to think about it, its nerdier when bands sing about fictional wars/stuff, i.e. Dragonforce (I'm not bashing them, btw).
MATTERHORN
Quote by JimmyBanks6
im not asking if hes right, iv already made my decision on it, im curious of yours

douche

You're silly.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Dec 3, 2009,
lol even they say they're nerds, they don't give a **** and nor should they, UP THE IRONS
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
So if a song is based on facts its nerdy but if a song is based on fiction thats ok because all songs should be based on fictitious subject matter? So theoretically dragonforce and bands like them should be the least nerdy metal of all time but we all know the opposite is true . In the stereotype dont nerds listen to classical music anyway? So surely by nerdy metal he's referring to neo-classical?
Last edited by Necrotise at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by Jesus=ConArtist
Bruce does have a degree in History, might have something to do with it.

I think he does anyway :P

Yeah, but he doesn't write any of the songs and is just a macho pilot anyways

S t a i r s s r i a t S

I jokingly call them Nerd Metal due to the topics of their songs.
I also put alot of symphonic and power metal bands in that category of "Nerd Metal"

However, I take it as a compliment when I say it.
I'm a nerd, I love "nerd metal".

if anyone says it as in insult then I doubt their own intelligence. Insulting something for being intelligent? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
It depends what you classify as nerdy... I actually started listening to Iron Maiden Rhapsody of Fire and other bands for their medeival appeal almost.... Yes it is slightly educated lyrics historically, but look at Slayer's Angel of Death for example, to fully understand the lyrics you need to know a little background knowledge and i also think it helps educate in a sense and the music is amazing
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
Quote by Necrotise
So if a song is based on facts its nerdy but if a song is based on fiction thats ok because all songs should be based on fictitious subject matter? So theoretically dragonforce and bands like them should be the least nerdy metal of all time but we all know the opposite is true . In the stereotype dont nerds listen to classical music anyway? So surely by nerdy metal he's referring to neo-classical?

I used to be a metalhead, and I'm a nerd, and a lot of my nerdy friends love metal.

I love classical, though, as well as just about anything else.
I don't think taking interest in a subject and crafting it into art is particularly nerdy, not to me anyway.
The Trooper - Charge of the Light Brigade

To Tame a Land - based on Dune novels

Where Eagles Dare - Based on the book

Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Based on the poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Flight of Icarus - Based on Greek Mythology

The Wicker Man - Based on the movie of the same name

When Two Worlds Collide - Based on the movie

The Prisoner , Back in the Village - Based on The Prisoner

Alexander the Great - (This one is as nerdy as it gets)

Iron Maiden is not nerdy, just well read and intelligent.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Dec 3, 2009,
Bruce is a bit of a nerd, in the best way possible. But seriously, at some point he says something along the lines of :

"Why would you write about a girl and a guy getting together? You could see that on a sidewalk! Iron Maiden writes about big, amazing, awesome things!"
The playground of the world
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. My music has much to do with history as well.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
War history is fucking awesome, and anyone that hates on people because of their intelligence (ie. calling them "nerds") is probably a dumb motherfucker to begin with, and destined for a life of total failure.
i listen to they might be giants and ween so i'm in no place to be calling anything else nerdy ...
#DTWD
Quote by subzero364
Iron Maiden have had more sex than your friend, therefore he's the nerd.

i second the notion
Wikipedia says:

"Nerd is a term often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are age-inappropriate rather than engaging in more social or popular activities. Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people"

I don't really see how any music can be deemed 'nerdy', regardless of the context. Unless however, you found an electronica band who sang about the clocking speeds of a G5 or how safe a pocket protector really is. I feel like singing about something that is historically correct and injecting emotions into the music is essentially the opposite of 'nerd' and the epitome of engaging storytelling. Storytelling is definitely a social activity.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Come to think about it, its nerdier when bands sing about fictional wars/stuff, i.e. Dragonforce (I'm not bashing them, btw).

THIS. Have you read their lyrics? Looks like a setup for Dungeons and Dragons or something.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Page 1 of 2