Any ideas? I'm thinking a crunchy SG type sound. But then again i'm half cut. It is an Iceman, maybe something darker?
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
What amp are you using?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by UraniYum
Any ideas? I'm thinking a crunchy SG type sound. But then again i'm half cut. It is an Iceman, maybe something darker?

Whaaa amp and whaa do you play?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
wah amp r u plying + wah u plying?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Epiphone 30w Firefly. I'm not entirely sure what i want it for just yet, i'm stuck between a Gibson sound and a death metal sound. Which would it handle best?

TRANSLATI0N:
lol epeefone firefli i wunno sonud lik slash lol
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Last edited by UraniYum at Dec 6, 2009,
alot of the "lowergrade" iceman reissues have the powersound or whatever ibanez stock pickups...personally id look through dimorzio's passive high gain catalog. most of them are pretty versatile for your hardrock/metal high gain peel the paint of the walls sounds. or you could check out what pickups are used in the sg model you like so much...i shred a gibson goth explorer. i went to guitar center lookng for an sg and walked out with this bad boy. it has "the crunch". 496R and 500T. pretty sure thats the same as most sg's have anyway.
IC400 isnt quite the economy series like the IC120....never played the 400 myself, but have you tried playing it through a different amp? maybe its time to upgrade that..hope this helps
I'm not really getting what the TS wants based on how this thread seems a little more than FUBAR to me, but here are some generic recommendations so we can get properly under way...

Neck: DiMarzio PAF Pro
Bridge: DiMarzio Super Distortion

I'm disregarding EVERYTHING above this post, and starting afresh.

Now...
What amp?
What styles?
What do you want to sound like?
What aspect of your tone do you want to change/improve?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 6, 2009,
Maybe you shouldn't disregard everything, seeing as i said,
Epiphone Firefly
I play a range, i'm not sure what it goes best with,
I keep changing my mind,
Probably versatility.

I know it's not 100% clear, but i have an iceman that is disappointing at the mo, that i've heard can become a monster with the right pickups. I just don't know what it'll adapt to best.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
Maybe you shouldn't disregard everything, seeing as i said,
Epiphone Firefly
I play a range, i'm not sure what it goes best with,
I keep changing my mind,
Probably versatility.

I know it's not 100% clear, but i have an iceman that is disappointing at the mo, that i've heard can become a monster with the right pickups. I just don't know what it'll adapt to best.

Maybe I should, maybe I shouldn't. The reason I have disregarded everything because the thread is a mess.

Neck:
DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary Neck
DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell
DiMarzio Norton
DiMarzio Air Zone
Seymour Duncan '59 (SH1)

Bridge:
DiMarzio Dual Sound
DiMarzio Tone Zone
DiMarzio Super 2
Seymour Duncan JB (SH4)

All that considered, change your amp first, it will have a greater impact on your tone than a pickup change would.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 6, 2009,
I know, i don't know how it degenerated like. What are those pickups good at?

I've considered an amp change, but i get a good enough tone, and i'm a sucker for tweed. Plus the only other amp i'd want would be the Fender blues, and i assume that wouldn't be a good match for a high gain shredder?
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
i'm a sucker for tweed. Plus the only other amp i'd want would be the Fender blues, and i assume that wouldn't be a good match for a high gain shredder?

for death metal? not so much. agree on the tweed love though.

look, seriously, your going to get closer to where you want to be with a new amp. pups certainly help dial in good tone but...

so i recommend you shelf the pup talk and start directing your attention, budget and efforts towards a new amp.

Now - budget?

Also, I retolex amps and it's not rocket science. you could make a tweed 6505 combo if you wanted. while against most purists, fuk em, it's your world they need to find a way to cope.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I am a perfectionist, i would NEVER tweed a death metal amp, that's all kinds of wrong. And **** you right back!

Ahhh i knew it wouldn't cut it. Bollocks.

Budget is now **** all, due to a £350 fine i received today. I do have access to other amps for recording, so buying a new amp isn't really neccessary. That's why i'm kind of stuck on the pups idea. I would have to plan on getting a new amp for up to about £500 sometime next year. Any ideas on that?
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
I have some amp clips in my profile recorded with an Iceman loaded with Dimarzio Breeds, but a Super Distortion with a Breed in the neck would work well if you wanted a looser, more open voiced bridge pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Nice, what amp were you using? I like that a lot.

Is it your iceman in all those clips? I want that Evolucian sound you had.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
That was my Fallen Angel - the amp clips were mic'd but the evolucian clip was just a crappy DI from the emulated line out into the PC. I recorded it dry and re-EQ'd it and added reverb afterwards, I think I also chucked a half-cocked wah filter over it too to bring out the midrange.

Studio tweaking ftw
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by UraniYum
I am a perfectionist, i would NEVER tweed a death metal amp, that's all kinds of wrong. And **** you right back!

Ahhh i knew it wouldn't cut it. Bollocks.

Why wouldn't you tweed a metal rig?
Blues guys have used snakeskin...

Edit: for the record you got two realistic responses. swapping pups isn't going to go as far as rethinking your amp choice.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 8, 2009,
Tweed is the Fifties-est thing ever. Snakeskin appeals to just about every different style i can think of... except folk music. Now you've reminded me of my need for a Snakeskin Kelly! Bastard.

Ahhhh anyway, basically i'm looking for info on what an iceman can do with different pups, and so far i've had one proper response. I don't want this locked, because i'll just have to ask again. So, anyone with any experience of switching up an Iceman?
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group