christmas is coming up. looking forward to a new amp.

the ones i have in mind right now are
peavey vypyr 75
VT30[exception]
spider iv 75
budget is under...330..

not for gigs.
home playing.

mainly into hard rock.
effects arent that much of a deal. reverb, delay, and auto wah would be nice though.

any other amps i should look into?
[and not used ones. because its hard to find used ones]
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
No use buying another cheaper amp, especially with the Cube. Just save up a bit more, and get what you really want. What kind of bands do you like to try to sound like?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
trying to get a joe satriani feel.
or just a general heavy distortion feel.

my micro cube right now is making buzzy noises [it wasnt before]. and the volume goes up and down sometimes.
so right now. any amp is better than the one i have right now.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Right now find some used small modelling amp. Maybe save up for a JSX? I have played around with them, and they can do a lot more than that Satch sound, though that always pulls through a bit too.
i like tubes.
but tubes are too loud for where i live.

my neighbors can hear my small micro cube
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Bandit 112 (Transtube Technology) this is the best (solid state) amp ever made 299.99, I used to use it a few years back, I just got the new 2008 model and it sounds awsome, it emulates tube sound and the TONE for METAL blows everything in it's class away, if you need effects with it just purchase a multieffect BOSS or Line 6 on the side to produce your delay chorus sounds etc. I would recommend you check this amp out, the new stuff Spider 4, and Vypyr sound too digital not this thing, good luck on your choice.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Bandit-112-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481332

Peavey Bandit 112 Guitar Amplifier with TransTube Technology Features:

80W
12" Blue Marvel speaker
2 footswitchable channels
Simulated speaker direct out with level
25%, 50%, 100% power level selector switch
Loose, tight, and medium damping switch
Effects loop
3-band EQ per channel
Vintage/classic/warm switch on clean channel
Classic/modern/high gain switch on lead channel
Pre and post gain on lead channel
High gain and low gain inputs
Master reverb and boost
Footswitch jack
45 lbs.
23-3/4"W x 20-1/4"H x 11-3/4"D
Serious pro flexibility at a super-low price.
Face the enemy
Manic thoughts
Religious intervention
Problems remain
Last edited by Arize at Dec 4, 2009,
+1 on the Peavey Bandit. Mine is 25 years old and works great.

I'd also suggest a Crate GX. Look used, you'll save money.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
The bandit sounds like my style
I looked into the JSX mini before, I've tried it. loved it..but like..I need a bigger watt with bigger settings :/

You think the bandit can play Surfing with the Aliens well?
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30

You say tubes are too loud, then you say that the JSX (tube amp) isn't 'big enough wattage?'

And the Bandit isn't going to be any better than your cube, just louder.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

You say tubes are too loud, then you say that the JSX (tube amp) isn't 'big enough wattage?'

My brother has a Cube, I have a Bandit, I've got to use both. The Bandit is much better sounding. It's warmer and more organic. Also, it's power amp works great at taking modelling equipment.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
My brother has a Cube, I have a Bandit, I've got to use both. The Bandit is much better sounding. It's warmer and more organic. Also, it's power amp works great at taking modelling equipment.

It is a bit of a step up, but not much. They're both low end practice amps. I've played plenty of both and I personally prefer the cubes, the Bandit series all seem really shrill to me.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by whoahesgood
The bandit sounds like my style
I looked into the JSX mini before, I've tried it. loved it..but like..I need a bigger watt with bigger settings :/

You think the bandit can play Surfing with the Aliens well?

if your not gigging then any wattage thats loud enough to hear is good enough what dya mean bigger settings:S you said your not bothered about FX
if its an EQ then get the danelectro fish and chips its pretty cheap
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Well I have a Bandit 112, an Ampeg SS-140, and my bandmate has a Crate GX 110 combo and the GX-130, with a 4x12. They all sound great, especially for metal.

Might be a little edgy for your taste though, seriously look into tube. Great punk/death tones though
Quote by tubetime86
It is a bit of a step up, but not much. They're both low end practice amps. I've played plenty of both and I personally prefer the cubes, the Bandit series all seem really shrill to me.

Technically the Bandit isn't a "series", just a model. The series is TransTube.

I use to own an Envoy 110 (the Bandit's little brother) and I honestly say its one of the better sounding, more versatile SS amp's that I've played.

Although the Mini Colossal is a completely different fish than the JSX its still an amazing amp. Maybe grab it and a Vox Satchurator (thats what Joe is using for his main distortion tones these days) and you'll be set.
Quote by tubetime86

Yeah, with a tube amp you need to have it cranked to get a decent sound whereas if SS sounds good it will sound good at any volume, and higher wattages are cheaper.

Dunno why you'd need 75 Watts for home use though.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Yeah, with a tube amp you need to have it cranked to get a decent sound

Honestly, most tube amps sound absolutely amazing at low volumes - but they sound better when cranked.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Honestly, most tube amps sound absolutely amazing at low volumes - but they sound better when cranked.

Most tube amps at lower volumes are not going to get power tube saturation so you may as well be playing an SS or Hybrid which can take full advantage of this. A lot of "Metal" type amps get most of their sound from the preamp, but a lot of people agree that the extra "Whoomph" you get from the power tubes, while subtle, is still important

SS amps aren't a bad choice for metal. Really great tube amps that do metal will set you back a shit ton and the cheaper options really aren't a load better than an SS or modelling solution.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Most tube amps at lower volumes are not going to get power tube saturation so you may as well be playing an SS or Hybrid which can take full advantage of this. A lot of "Metal" type amps get most of their sound from the preamp, but a lot of people agree that the extra "Whoomph" you get from the power tubes, while subtle, is still important

SS amps aren't a bad choice for metal. Really great tube amps that do metal will set you back a shit ton and the cheaper options really aren't a load better than an SS or modelling solution.

That doesn't mean that they sound bad at low volumes though, does it? It simply means they sound better when they are cranked.

Also, even if the power tubes aren't fully saturated they are still affecting your tone. So no it wouldn't be the same as playing an SS or a hybrid (I bet you can't even name one real hybrid amp anyway).

Lastly, there are cheaper metal oriented tube amps that sound worlds better than the majority of SS amps on the market. There are some SS amps (like the VH140c or some of Randall's amps) that can hold their own when it comes to metal, but most of the time a tube amp is going to kick an SS amp's ass, no competition.
Quote by tubetime86

I was talking about the JSX Mini Collossal.. <--It's a 5 Watt. Genious.

Anyway.
Would anyone recommend me some other amps?
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by whoahesgood at Dec 5, 2009,