so basically i need help finding the right major for me and a few schools with good programs for that, i know exactly what i want to do, but idk what classes to take or what to have as my major so that i'll be fully prepared for it

i'd like to have a career in the recording industry, like work in a studio, and eventually manage/own one, also, i'd like to do some studies in the field of musical theory/production, maybe as a minor or something?

but yeah, has anyone taken this career path that can give me some advice on what classes to take and what school's have good programs for that?

thanks, i greatly appreciate it
gear: schecter damien 6 fr, epiphone sg 310, marshall mg100dfx , peavey acoutic (no clue what model), ovation celebrity cc44 acoustic, rocktron silver drago distortion, rocktron banshee talk box, dunlop cry baby 535q
go to CU it kicks ass.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Quote by vanhailin
go to CU it kicks ass.

what kind of majors/classes/programs or whatever do they have that relate to music production and theory and all that stuff?
gear: schecter damien 6 fr, epiphone sg 310, marshall mg100dfx , peavey acoutic (no clue what model), ovation celebrity cc44 acoustic, rocktron silver drago distortion, rocktron banshee talk box, dunlop cry baby 535q
Go to a school with good connections. Anyplace in Nashville, NY, or LA is win. A recording degree is almost worthless unless you end up in that field, and even then 90% of your gigs will be based on who you know, what you've done, and if you'll work for free. Very few gigs will come down to what school you went to.
Quote by jean_genie
Go to a school with good connections. Anyplace in Nashville, NY, or LA is win. A recording degree is almost worthless unless you end up in that field, and even then 90% of your gigs will be based on who you know, what you've done, and if you'll work for free. Very few gigs will come down to what school you went to.

how would i go about finding one like that? and would i be correct to assume that when you say gigs, you mean a career in that field?
Quote by matthew66613
how would i go about finding one like that? and would i be correct to assume that when you say gigs, you mean a career in that field?

That is indeed what I mean by gigs.

I'm not in the recording industry, so I can't advise you too well. I'm an art teacher though, so I'm used to sending young creative types to meet their doom in the maw of the industry. The best thing I can recommend is to look for a school that gets working professionals to teach classes now and again, and/or where students work on projects locally.

You want to make sure that you get real-world experience, since doing things on a tight schedule with talent that treats you like crap is more like what you'll do after graduation than monkeying with protools in a nice room while your teacher is having a butt. You also want to try to meet somebody that can help you get an internship. Once you've worked on some projects and can play them for people, that's a much better resume than what school you went to.

That's why I recommend those cities. There are a TON of people looking to make it big. If you can be one of the guys that worked on a record that a lot of people bought (even just locally), that's key. Next thing you know somebody else in town wants a sound like the first guys got, and you have another gig. Eventually a project with money behind it comes around, and hopefully people remember your name.
You'll want to major in business/management and minor in music. Maybe even double major but that would take lots of time. After that, it's from me, but the GA Tech guy sounds like he has a good idea and the Connections guy is also very likely right.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by jean_genie
That is indeed what I mean by gigs.

I'm not in the recording industry, so I can't advise you too well. I'm an art teacher though, so I'm used to sending young creative types to meet their doom in the maw of the industry. The best thing I can recommend is to look for a school that gets working professionals to teach classes now and again, and/or where students work on projects locally.

You want to make sure that you get real-world experience, since doing things on a tight schedule with talent that treats you like crap is more like what you'll do after graduation than monkeying with protools in a nice room while your teacher is having a butt. You also want to try to meet somebody that can help you get an internship. Once you've worked on some projects and can play them for people, that's a much better resume than what school you went to.

That's why I recommend those cities. There are a TON of people looking to make it big. If you can be one of the guys that worked on a record that a lot of people bought (even just locally), that's key. Next thing you know somebody else in town wants a sound like the first guys got, and you have another gig. Eventually a project with money behind it comes around, and hopefully people remember your name.

thanks man, i really apprieciate the advice and recommendations, i think im gonna check out a few schools in nashville first, considering its only like a couple a hours from here (i currently live in memphis) and i know a few people out there, not that are involved in the music business, but they might know people who are and all that, plus its always nice to know someone when ya move somewhere >.<
now time to hit up a google search of schools in nashville then other major music cities, come to think of it, austin wouldnt be too bad either would it? seeing as it IS the live music capital of the world