Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, im new to the whole recording thing. But since my band hit the studio i fell in love with everything our guy did haha so i decided to get into recording. i got myself Adobe Audition (expensive as shit i might add) and this audio interface

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Fast-Track-USB-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=703606

now keep in mind i dont have a whole lot of knowledge with what i am doing but for now i just wanted to record some decent quality guitar tracks. I havnt invested in a instrument mic yet so i wanted to try out my interface and the software that came with it that lets me create my own effects. I opened up the EZ player software which gives me the digital rack setup, but i couldnt get any sound out of it. i can see on the program it is picking up the sound, yet i couldnt get any volume out of my speakers OR my headphones. Im not sure what the problem is and im really wanting to record right about now haha.

any ideas guys??
I am new to interfaces as well, but I am familiar with adobe audtion. I will admit I torrented that bastard though. You want to go to your multi-track view and go to the in/out and make sure you have your interface selected, and which track you are going to use, and make sure your out is routed to your primary sound card if you want to hear it out of your speakers. If you want real time effects though, you might want to try amplitube or some amp modeler like that. I could be telling you completely wrong though, I always used my line-in in my soundcard to record, but like you, I too am getting into the same recording situation. If you find anything out, please post what you did so I will know what's up haha.

*** also, check your options on your windows recording mixer, and see what you can come up with there.
Start with the manuals on all the software you are running.
Then read over Tweak's Guide, (Google it).

Audition is a great piece of softwaer when run with XP however I've run it on Vista a while back and got a lot of cashing........that was before an update that was supposed to fix it...
how do i route my out to my sound card? lol and iv read all my manuals and i cant make heads or tails of em its like they tell me all the features, but not how to use them
There is a button beside each track on the multi track view, that says "Out" click it.
my friend told me that alot of interfaces dont work with a lot of stock sound cards in computers could that be my problem?
Quote by Beanerofshred
my friend told me that alot of interfaces dont work with a lot of stock sound cards in computers could that be my problem?

My advice is get a USB sound card. Even something like the mobile pre is cheap. It has 2 inputs.Phantom power, Pre amp. headphones jack. Line out. And monitor line outs. All for less than 100$ I belive. This is well worth investment. ASIO drivers clears alot of problems up recording wise.

And for learning DAWs. Ableton is way to go. Easy. And there are MILLIONS of videos and tutorials to show you fast how to get rockin.
Quote by Beanerofshred

When your interface is set-up PROPERLY it becomes your Soundcard - Route everything through it - even Windows sounds, etc. Your stock Soundcard will no longer be used. I plug my computer speakers into my Interface so basically there's just a USB cable running to my computer. Try plugging your speakers (or whatever you're using to listen with) into your interface and make sure MONITOR is on in your software. Some people reported they had to set their Windows sounds to NONE so Windows doesn't try & take over the sound output. Also I use ASIO4ALL on my PC (my Mac doesn't have latency issues). Tell your software to use your interface for INPUTS and OUTPUTS.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Dec 4, 2009,
well see i just plugged the box into my usb on my computer because the cables on my speakers cant plug into the interface, so im gonna have to get a pair that does haha

alright theres adobe audition

my hardware setup menu

anyone seein anything wrong??? lol

cuz i got the interface working but when i record it only plays back in one speaker this thing is so confusing haha
Last edited by Beanerofshred at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by Beanerofshred

alright theres adobe audition

my hardware setup menu

anyone seein anything wrong??? lol

cuz i got the interface working but when i record it only plays back in one speaker this thing is so confusing haha

Is it possible that you are recording a mono track and its panned hard to one side?

Or perhaps that you are using a mono cable to hook up your speakers?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
well my computer speakers dont have a Land R av cable so i got a adapter cable that alows the 1/4 inch plug to plug into av
I am really thinking that the adapter is your problem.
Easy to check it ifs the adapter. Look at your level bars on the track. Are they both present? See wether its hardware issue or recording setup. Or try another set of speakers.

Do you get both bars moving on level meter?>
Last edited by nynejoe at Dec 8, 2009,
If so, then try plugging headphones in each side of output if you can. This will test the m audio itself. Stereo headphones in a mono opuput will still only give you sound on one side tough, but at least you still know if its the m audio.
heres the the thing

with my interface came GT players express, it gives me a digital rack setup to make an effect on my guitar, which is what i use to play when my half stack is at my drummers house. and it will play through both speakers just fine. but only when i record (even if i have a distortion effect set) it will just play back as a clean tone and only through one speaker. i think on my rack setup though the Land R level bars i think on the Output are both their but the input bars only one is registering i cant remember for sure im at school right now ill post a picture when i get home.
If only one input is registering, this is because the input is somehow set to 1/2 generally.

A picture will tell us more...Take a print screen of pc while its happening. To give better idea of scenario when y ou have chance.

Just so i got this right? You have adobe audition open? And laoded an effects rack plugin inside audition to add effects to your guitar??

It works while you jam? but not recording? This general idea?
Last edited by nynejoe at Dec 8, 2009,
alright thanks man did u already look at the pictures i already posted ^^^^^^^ if u havnt or have did u see anything wrong their perhaps??
Everything looks fine...Only thing i can see...Is adobe has a bug, when the windows goes out of focus, so does the drivers apparently. So check off release asiod rivers in background...

If you have adobe and effect rack in seperate windows...this could cuase it.
ASIO drivers protocols comunicates with hardware. Bascially allows the software to connect to the hardware without much layering. Less layers = less latency. This was the concept of ASIO.

this is the effect program, as u can see my input R bar is the only one registering...how does that work??? lol my outputs are both registering
You have to configre gt player to right input. Ive never used it personally...but should be
options>prefernces> then click the audio preferences. Select the right channel.

input make it so its mono, the one your plugged into...
output make it 1/2...should be default
Just so i clear myself up. When i say "right" channel, I mean the "proper" channel. As in the one in which you are plugged in.

Sorry was confusing when i reread it

theres my audio preferences box im not relly sure what u want me to do

the input and output drop down windows only have one selection and theyre the ones displayed in the picture

sigh im starting to hate this thing haha

thanks for all the help uv been givin me haha
No prob..Thats what were all here for....to help.......just drop down input and select 1 or 2....not 1/2....Whichever one your pluggedinto. That typically what you do...you sure you cant change it?
in general prefreences..is there anywhere to select which channel to process?
post a screen of the general preferences...and other prefrences tabs...
Ill see what I can do..
i did find something i think

the chain input is placed under right...but everytime i click left or stereo i get a large amound of static through both my speakers....
Try remove all the effects first...the effects might be causing the noise. Your getting there ehhehe
Is there a mono setting or button on your fast track? I dont know them that well......

I would look for this, as it almost seems that the program is looking for both inputs to be used. Therefore, if you set the program to only look for one...OR had a mono "switch", it would work.
Yeh usually with gt player there is a way to specify the signal input for which one to process. Versions vary.
yea on my fast track there is a mon/stereo switch and i just have it set on stereo

when i tried to remove the effects the static got worse lol... ill try it again once im home from school.
Page 1 of 2