Well,my gutarists fender frontman 100 watt or something is dying on him.The speakers melt everytime we practice,so he needs a new amp.For the moment,what we are going to do is,is get a cab and run that with my 50w laney,which gives him time to try out different heads and what not.
But,we have no idea what kind of cabinet to get.Were in Australia,and he isn't too sure on a budget.Maybe $5-600 max (second hand most likely).
The main question I have though,is how high a wattage should he get?
He's most likely going to get a 100 watt tube amp,or if he doesn't,having a cab that can handle 100 watt head would be handy.I always thought,seeing as my 50 watt head has a peak wattage of 180,for a 100 watt,he would need even more.
So,what are we after?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
bump?

Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
We know we will need alot of volume,were not sure what kind of wattage we need for the cabinet.So,assuming we've got 100 watt tube head running through it the future,what kind of wattage will speakers need to be so that they won't blow when the amps running full ball.

I highly doubt you're head has a peak wattage of 180 watts. 50 watt amps typically put out about 90 watts cranked. Most 100 watts don't even put out 180 when cranked.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Maybe I'm trusting my amps manual too much.It says power consumption,180 watts,so I thought this could probably be the peak wattage.I think I just read it wrong.
So now that I'm a bit better informed,what kind of wattage should we be looking for?

Power consumption isn't the power output. If it's 100 watts output, a 200 watt cab would be fine. If it's 50, a 100 watt would cover it. That said, you might want less cone breakup. If that's the case, those ratings would still be fine but for something really clean, get around 300w for a 100w head and 150 for a 50w head. If you want it to be louder, look for speakers that have a higher efficiency rating.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks for that mmolterax,I would have thought a questio like this would have been asked alot.But clearly not.How well would a 140 watt cab go with a 100 watt head?