Hey guys, i've been playing guitar for a bit and now want to focus on playing indie-rock (red hot chili peppers) and was wondering, what is the best kind of guitar (electric duh) to play that type of music?
Strat definitely...

Though i'd recommend checking out some Tele's too... i happen to like them better.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
For RHCP, Strat. For most indie-rock, this is the go to guitar, can't really go wrong.

Also consider Teles, semi hollows (Epi Dot/Sheraton/Riv, Ibanez Artcore all the way up to Gibson ES335) and perhaps SG's.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
There are many guitars to use for indie rock.Bassically try out everything not metal orientated.I love the clean neck humbucker tone of my SG,despite the fact that you are more likely to find a tone like that recorded with a strat.Just try out loads of things and see what you like.This insn't one of those genres where you can say 'this is good,this is bad,this is ok'.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
K, thanks guys really appreciate your help. when iv'e got a million dollar record lable ill be sure to reccomend you guys lol
Quote by Owenlee55
*bump*

DO NOT DO THIS.

Anyway, a strat is what you want for RHCP (who are, by the way, not Indie).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jdrier21
defiantly a Strat. Its the only thing RHCP plays

Definitely not true. John plays mostly fenders, but busts out some hollow bodies and even les pauls for certain songs.
Quote by Owenlee55
ok thanks, but i thoguht RHCP were indie? My bad.

They've been on a major label for like 25+ years. The word you're looking for is "alternative", not "indie" (though it seems they're each roughly as meaningless as each other these days).
^I meant more in terms of their sound - what I think of as indie is a lot more jangle-pop sounding.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
They're an alt rock band with funk influences... happy!?!

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
^That
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
For an indie sound, a Jaguar, a Jazzmaster, a Telecaster, a Mustang, a Rickenbacker, an ES-335, a Mosrite...

For a RHCP sound, a Strat.
Toyboxmonster took the words out of my mouth.

One of those guitars will get you the sound you want
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
cant go wrong with a strat. John frusciante uses a 58(?) Model.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Frender Stratoblaster is your main bet IMO ( i dont like fender so I dont even want to name it... lol)
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
John plays only vintage guitar pre 60s, so get a strat and add some vintage style pickups

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
I play the same kinda music. A lot of alt-rock, indie, folk, and college rock, and my Gibson SG Classic works perfectly for me. Consider that, but also consider hollowbodies as well. If you play any Cake-type stuff, the hollobody helps get that thick fat tone. Think about looking into a Washburn HB-35 or something along the same lines.
I am 90% John doesn't only use strats. Though they are his main type of guitar. I think (not so sure anymore though) he uses a Vintage '62 Strat for most of his live playing.
He also uses Jaguars, An SG on Fortune Faded and that rediculously beautiful Gretsch White Falcon <3.
Yeah, Strat FTW for RHCP
I concur; Strat. Or maybe a Tele, try both.
And the RHCP being Indie thing made me laugh.
Pretty much what everyone here has already said. Strat, Tele, Epiphone Dot.
Alot of it is in the amp. Get something tube. For the little distortion that Indie Rock usually has (or RHCP for that matter) tube saturation will be beauuuuutiful.
Quote by its_alive
Pretty much what everyone here has already said. Strat, Tele, Epiphone Dot.
Alot of it is in the amp. Get something tube. For the little distortion that Indie Rock usually has (or RHCP for that matter) tube saturation will be beauuuuutiful.

^ this
for RHCP go with a strat, like everyone else has already said. but RHCP are NOT Indie. By any means. For realy indie, go with an ES-335, a Les Paul, a Telecaster, or an SG. I've even seen some bands use Dano guitars. It's a wide variety.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
thans guys i appreciate it, and sorry for calling them indie thats what someone told me...(The computer siad the genre was indie lol)
Quote by Owenlee55
thans guys i appreciate it, and sorry for calling them indie thats what someone told me...(The computer siad the genre was indie lol)

the proper term is alternative funk
a strat yeah but id look up frusicante's gear if i were you
I notice lots of 'indie' bands these days use SG's. I don't think it works so much but that seems to be popular.

In terms of what you like a Strat would be obvious. Telecaster is also a clear choice. If you want to be (a little) different check out a Fender Jaguar. Not as good all-round as tele's and strats but are great guitars for 'indie'.

EDIT: Don't listen to what your computer tells you, it leads to pure liquid evil. I also have this ridiculous image of you sitting there talking to your computer and hearing it reply; it's called schizophrenia i think.
Last edited by Duv at Dec 8, 2009,
Well a jaguar is good to.
If you watch a lot of theyre shit is done on a jaguar to but strats do the job just as well but for alernative and indie a jaguar or jazzmaster is your best bet.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"