This is a file my cousin wrote but his internet is shut down and he lives all the way across the map so I can't really ask him these questions anyway was just wondering Key and Scale, cause he is way better than I am at writing music, yet I know more theory then he does and I doubt he could even answer my question anyway.
Attachments:
newsforthehearers.gp5
newsforthehearers.mid
It's in "F" I believe. Oh and the scale I'm not sure of.
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
I thought there might be key changes, not that great with theory yet but I knew there had to be....so this is just a disasterpiece?

Maybe thats why I am not so satisfied with my guitar playing half the time, I usually just play in a certain key just to really get the understanding of playing in key, but I think that switching keys is what it may be all about, any thoughts?
*working on it*

First part is in Eb but the first time i listened to it it seemed to change key throughout the song... let me see check if it did.

EDIT: I might be wrong but i'm pretty sure i'm not so far.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I certainly wouldn't call it a disasterpiece. I quite enjoyed it. To many key changes isn't always a bad thing, and if you really know how to use them then they're a great thing.
Yeah he is a good musician but you ask him about what he is doing and he just gives some answer like "i dont know im doing hammer ons and pulloffs" but really no more depth than that...he definitely is networking with a bunch of underground metal bands in Cali where he lives so im sure just being able to jam with so many people has got it to where he just doesn't need to know what its called to know it sounds tight.

my favorite part is at the beginning of the 16th bar...that shit sounds hard...what parts did you like best?
Last edited by jackBrockin2 at Dec 4, 2009,
it's looking like it's either C minor or Eb major (C minor sounds seems more likely in this case). seems like it's kind of a mess, though. but it's kind of cool in a way. it's like if someone asked your cousin to write a song using exclusively 16th notes >_>

i'm not going to get all "theory v. ear playing" here, but it's like nails on a chalkboard to me when someone calls a person who knows extremely little to no theory a "good musician". "great guitarist", maybe. imo that's the difference between a musician and a guitarist.
Quote by jackBrockin2
Yeah he is a good musician but you ask him about what he is doing and he just gives some answer like "i dont know im doing hammer ons and pulloffs" but really no more depth than that...he definitely is networking with a bunch of underground metal bands in Cali where he lives so im sure just being able to jam with so many people has got it to where he just doesn't need to know what its called to know it sounds tight.

my favorite part is at the beginning of the 16th bar...that shit sounds hard...what parts did you like best?

I can't say I have a favorite part, I just think it all runs pretty smoothly together.
How the hell is he writing his harmonies correctly without knowing his theory?
Wow, that was really cool, but the key changes quite often as others have said. However, you could get away with saying that the scale used for the majority of the piece is the natural minor scale

All in all, this is a really awesome piece, something that I'd really consider listening to, but he's just gotta work out some of the kinks to make sure that it all flows nicely throughout. Just as an example: at the beginning, it sounds very unresolved, as if the piece is playing on the IV chord of a progression, and this doesn't really end until the end of the fourth bar, which really is too long for such a thing to happen. There are some other bits and pieces after that, like abrupt chord changes - he needs to try and segue between the various keys to prevent it from sounding like a bunch of ideas thrown together from all over the place.

edit: those last 2 bars should just be cut out unless they're the beginnings of a new song, because they don't fit at all.
Last edited by kenan6346 at Dec 4, 2009,
It's Cmin then goes into either Dbmin or Gbmin depending on how it resolves and then repeats again. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure about this.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I can't say I have a favorite part, I just think it all runs pretty smoothly together.
Some people simply have an ear for music actually. I'm not saying that they can do anything without knowing theory, but it's possible to tell what sounds right and what doesn't.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I can't say I have a favorite part, I just think it all runs pretty smoothly together.

he knows some scales and shit, I just think he finds a scale that fits over whatever chord he is playing at the time...maybe he knows more than he lets me believe though I've known a few people like that...really reserved in letting loose of what they know, almost stingy with their knowledge.

I knew a dude that was a real good musician, could play any instrument, and you would ask him stuff, just simple things he could explain easily and he was just such a **** sucker about it, and its like "damn you didnt teach yourself all this stuff so why horde the shit?" he was a douche about it needless to say, we were friends but now he is just another name that I know, and he just sits around wasting his talent doing heroin...too bad too sad