Poll: Does Owl City suck big time?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does Owl City suck big time?
Yes-big time
66 52%
No
61 48%
Voters: 127.
Page 1 of 2
So lately I've been hearing alot about Owl City and I decided to check them out. Turns out they suck. It's just some guy singing through a voice synthesizer and a macbook. So the question is...Who thinks Owl City sucks big time?

Justin
It's like a computer made music and wasn't technologically advanced enough to include bass. I prefer human music, myself. But I guess those megabytes make little girls wet or something.
kill all humans
bleh Hello Seatle is better song than fireflies imo >.>
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

Xbox Gamertag = Nick Schro

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high
Where are the "Who the **** are owl city" and "Who the **** gives a ****?" options in the poll?
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
http://www.myspace.com/owlcity

First time I've heard of them. I sort of like them, actually. Although the lack of bass is annoying. And they're not exactly something I'd obsess over.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Dec 4, 2009,
It's good considering the guy is almost 100% DIY.
In terms of his music? My mom screams more pleasingly than he sings.
Quote by eterom11
Yes, it is then!

You are truly a god among men.

Quote by Pancakehead
Dear Scribbllez I Googled it my good sir,
A hearty lol it did stir.

Ending Autumn
Meh. His voice reminds me of the singer from The Postal Service and Death Cab (not a bad thing, I like DCFC and TPS). Also, if you listen to the Such Great Heights cover by The Postal Service, it's almost like TPS and Owl City could be the same band...with just....well...different lyrical content...and creativity on TPSs side IMO.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I just heard "Fireflies" for the first time while watching MTV (yes, they still show music videos...if you wake up early enough...) and thought it was splendid...though, I'd hate to make an assumption of their/his music just off that one song.
The Pit. The Movie.
aUtO tUnE iS kiLLiNg muSiC!

LoL liL WaYnE sUckS (i LiKe GoOd rAp, YoU knNoW, tUpAc, NwA, bIgGie SmAlLs, AnD ImMoRtAL tEcHniQUe)

I oNlY lIkE mUsIc MaDe wiTH INSTRUMENTS nOt PeOpLe TaLking iNto A MiC wItH a BeAt FrOmm a COMPUTER@!!!! lol

cHeck my mYspace pLeZ! at www.myspace.com/imahugephaggot
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by CrunchyRoll

LoL liL WaYnE sUckS (i LiKe GoOd rAp, YoU knNoW, tUpAc, NwA, bIgGie SmAlLs, AnD ImMoRtAL tEcHniQUe)

I oNlY lIkE mUsIc MaDe wiTH INSTRUMENTS nOt PeOpLe TaLking iNto A MiC wItH a BeAt FrOmm a COMPUTER@!!!! lol

Honestly, how long did it take you to type that?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by CrunchyRoll

Links broken
i started listening to him two years ago, and kinda have been listening to it evolve over time, so i definitely still really like him. who gives a flying **** what other people listen to, just listen to what you like and thats that

fireflies is probably the only #1 in the past 10 years i would have listened to even if it wasn't anywhere near the top of the charts
He's a playradioplay ripoff, who's a ripoff of the postal service, the postal service it good though.

This thread sucks, and will be closed. If would could have hate threads, the pit would be 50 percent bitching about bands...which is more then now.
Quote by skittle_eater
who gives a flying **** what other people listen to

The vast majority of people.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Owl City is like a lame version of The Postal Service.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by CrunchyRoll

*reported*
Quote by :Vicious--
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
"Don't touch my buttsecks"
If Owl City is a ripoff of the Postal Service then doesn't that mean every band of the rock genre is a ripoff of another..?

Seriously, they sound the same because it's the same genre.. people say that since they don't hear the genre much.

It's just your normal synthpop electronica type stuff.

I don't care for the vocals in the songs but I do like Owl City as embarrassing as that is, because I find the music to be calm and relaxing. I like synth type stuff like that. If it was all instrumental I'd still play it.

Same goes for other bands like that, like PlayRadioPlay!
I had to sit through this band that I couldn't stand to see relient k.
the only credit I give him is that he writes his own music.... for now
Owl City is amazing. And I've never even heard Fireflies. I just know that The Saltwater Room is insanely catchy. Everyone that I've let listen to that song has enjoyed it.

So, no. Owl City does NOT suck.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
I like Fireflies, but I haven't heard any of his other stuff. It's catchy, so I listen.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
It's not that bad. If it came on the radio I wouldn't change station. Then again I'd prefer him to keep his vocals auto-tuneless.
Hmm, well it doesn't suck ... it's a bit bland if anything.

It's like a musical baked potato ... it's totally acceptable, but without an extra topping it's pretty boring.

So essentially Owl City are a plain baked potato.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
I used to think Owl City was alright, then my ladyfriend and I went to go see them live. The show was awful, especially the crowd. It was nothing but a bunch of 15-16 year old MySpace kids, which was kind of expected I guess, but the overall attitude was very unpleasant. I saw less fights break out when I saw Flogging Molly. Us two just ended up getting a bit drunk and talking the whole time. Wasn't a total loss I guess.
First time i heard it i was like WTF Ben Gibbard?

there are very few bands i hate, cuz i can't knock it if u find it entertaining.

but this one goes with the Disturbeds and the Nickelbacks.
"Fireflies" is such a blatant ripoff of the Postal Service's "Such Great Heights", which really really pisses me off.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I hear plenty of bass.

At least, at the moment I'm playing "Cave In" which is the first song off of Ocean Eyes and there's a bass line that's very noticeable.
Quote by kaptink
It's not that bad. If it came on the radio I wouldn't change station. Then again I'd prefer him to keep his vocals auto-tuneless.

Someone needs to learn what auto-tune is since there is none in any Owl City songs.

---

I do have to say some of the music is growing on me. I've played the stuff alot because like I stated before, I like the synthpop electronica type stuff. It's just real calm music which is nice to hear sometimes rather than all the heavy rock and metal stuff and hardcore guitar instrumentals, etc etc or whatever else I might be listening to at the time.

But one of my favorite songs by Owl City is an instrumental which is a remix of Hello Seattle. It's just a totally fun song.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by TechnicolorType
If Owl City is a ripoff of the Postal Service then doesn't that mean every band of the rock genre is a ripoff of another..?

Everyone knows that fucking zeppelin ripped off the Stones

dumbass
Page 1 of 2