Ok i got an old P-bass copy thats got a what we have guessed to be an Alder body and the pickups are screwed and the pickguards beat.

But some frets on the fretboard are well dead is the way i could put it.I was wondering what causes this and would i need to fork out for a new neck cause its becoming a project bass in a way.

was wondering if i could get a quickish answer before i start ordering stuff
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Last edited by Razgriz_101 at Dec 4, 2009,
If by dead you mean that the frets are worn down, this comes from use. Basses are particularly susceptible to this because a lot of bassists use stainless steel strings, which are harder than the nickel-steel alloy used to make most fretwire. Add that to the fact that bass strings are bigger than guitar strings and you have a recipe for faster fret wear.

As long as the neck hasn't been re-fretted already, you could have the frets replaced. A fret replacement job might be cheaper than purchasing a new neck.

If you order a new neck from some company such as Warmoth, you might want to order it with stainless steel frets. These last much longer than nickel-steel frets. They are a bit more expensive, though.
also the bass has hardly been used and laying in a cupboard for eons... i just took it cause i was like meh free bass then thought PROJECT xD

i might go asking a couple local guitar shops what kinda price range it would be.I seen necks in my price range tho.

I dunno if its worn but when you press down the note stops without any sustain whatsoever.Could it be a matter of raising the action.
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
If there is enough fret left you could just do a fret level - much easier than a refret, and much cheaper if you are paying someone else to do it.

You can do it yourself though - check out the gear building and customising forum for some tutorials. Its actually easier than it sounds provided you are careful - takes a while though.

Edit: If its a project, and playing witht he action doesn't work, I'd definitely try levelling them yourself. Hell, if I can do it (I did ma nephew's guitar - felt safe as it only cost £30 lol) anybody thats not completely inept with their hands can do it
Last edited by zhilla at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by Razgriz_101
I dunno if its worn but when you press down the note stops without any sustain whatsoever.Could it be a matter of raising the action.

If the notes are fretting out immediately, it may be that you need a truss rod adjustment. Check the curvature of the neck and see if you are all right. If the neck is too straight, adjust the truss rod a bit and see if it fixes the problem.
Quote by FatalGear41
If the notes are fretting out immediately, it may be that you need a truss rod adjustment. Check the curvature of the neck and see if you are all right. If the neck is too straight, adjust the truss rod a bit and see if it fixes the problem.

ill take a look at that when im finished college. Just need to remember where i placed the strings when i opened it up to look at the innards my room is possibly the biggest mess known to man.
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Quote by Razgriz_101
ihaha: my room is possibly the biggest mess known to man.

Not even, my friend. I have two motorcycles parked in my kitchen. How's that for a messy abode?
^ I'd challenge you on that, did some building inside because of the weather, my room is now completely coated in a nice layer of sawdust and wood shavings, and about $500 worth of guitar hardware. Plus my closet is the graveyard for a number of Behringers and their pieces.

Methinks you should get it set up at a shop first, action and truss rod adjusted, maybe get the frets redressed if they really need it. If its a project bass though, why not build your own neck, then you can customize the woods, headstock, neck profile, etc?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If it has a proper set up (action height and truss adjustments, etc) and still has dead frets then you may need a fret level, but don't do anything to the frets until you set it up properly and know for sure that the dead notes are due to worn/high frets.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by Tostitos
^ I'd challenge you on that, did some building inside because of the weather, my room is now completely coated in a nice layer of sawdust and wood shavings, and about $500 worth of guitar hardware. Plus my closet is the graveyard for a number of Behringers and their pieces.

Methinks you should get it set up at a shop first, action and truss rod adjusted, maybe get the frets redressed if they really need it. If its a project bass though, why not build your own neck, then you can customize the woods, headstock, neck profile, etc?

cause me and woodwork is like not a good idea at all i can say that i passed all the design units of my technological studies class and failed all the practical so i was advised to be a designer.Im that bad will look into getting a setup in a shop money's tight so i will need to wait till January got a christmas night out coming up.
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Quote by Tostitos

Aren't Behringer's known to be crap even if they haven't sat in a storm of sawdust?

Quote by Tostitos

What kind of return can you get for doing a decent job when remaking a guitar?
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
They will be twin boys named God and Satan and I will make them fight each other.

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/index.shtml
Quote by sg255
If I cross the street to get away from them, then it's a latino.
^ yes Behringer's are utter crap in every way, my guitarist friends went through 4 amps before realizing this, and after a few incidents that I can only describe as highly flammable, my closet became their final resting places.

And what do you mean by return? As in profit from building and selling? Its decent I guess if your really really skilled and experienced, otherwise it costs much more to build an instrument then their worth, you do it for the experience. Modding a guitar/bass is also a good way to kill the resale value. If your interested in that though, those questions belong in the Guitar Building and Customizing forum.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
^ Hm, well the last thing I have the abilty, time and money to do rebuild a guitar.
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
They will be twin boys named God and Satan and I will make them fight each other.

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/index.shtml
Quote by sg255
If I cross the street to get away from them, then it's a latino.