Hey all, I will be doing some fine tuning with my gear coming up here soon. I will be modding my amp with some new speakers, tubes, and some board work. But I don't know where to begin with the pickups in my strat. I play mostly hotter blues, alt, and I'm starting to get into some metallica type stuff. I will be playing it through a crate v18 212 (with the mods mentioned above.). The strat is a 96 MIM so it has a cavity for a humbucker at the bridge. Any suggestions?
maybe seymour duncan ssl-1 for neck and middle. for bridge, a hot rail if u want single coil humbucker or a jb/custom custom if u want a humbucker.
I agree with the 1st reply, getting new pickups won't necessarily change your overall tone they way you'll want... they might be more powerful and/or change the tone a bit brighter or darker, but I'd say that employing a distortion pedal will yield better results.

But, if you insist on changing the pickups, then EMG pickups will give you a more Metallica-like tone...
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I have an OD pedal that pushes my amp well over what I need. I'm just looking to get the tone closer to where I like it. I don't use my bridge too much as it is anyway, I prefer using my middle or neck pickup for clean stuff.
Last edited by pENTAcUBE at Dec 4, 2009,
I personally find the bridge position to be a little too bright for me. Would I get a decent metal tone out of a dimarzio single coil of some kind? I am simply looking for the best possible bridge pup for some heavy stuff I have been dabbling in.
Try a GFS crunchy rails, they are pretty hot
Ibanez AM78T with Lace Sensors
Squier Affinity with American Standard Electronics
Line 6 duoVerb
Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive, Heavy Distortion, and Vintage Tube Monster
Digitech RP500

Yeah, I have a colored sig.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
I have an OD pedal that pushes my amp well over what I need. I'm just looking to get the tone closer to where I like it. I don't use my bridge too much as it is anyway, I prefer using my middle or neck pickup for clean stuff.
. . .
The strat is a 96 MIM so it has a cavity for a humbucker at the bridge. Any suggestions?

Definitely put a humbucker in the bridge. If you get one with 4 wires, you can add a switch for series/parallel or coil-splitting. Another fun little mod is a bridge/neck-on switch. It gives you two additional pickups selections: "bridge+neck" (sounds like a tele!) and "all three pups in parallel" (very complex sounding).