I'm thinking of getting a couple of pickups for my ibanez S470. Now to give u a feel of what i play, i like to play, Racer X, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Dokken (pretty much your 80's shred classics) and a little bit of Dream Theater.

So at the moment i'm looking at passive ONLY, i don't want the hassles of active and there's only so much output you really need. So i'm thinkin of Dimarzio? And i really like the sound of Steve Vai Jem, so i'm thinking an Evolution DP159 in the bridge position.

And now the single coil i'm a bit unsure about, I use it for clean purposes and sometimes with delay and chorus for some sick dream theater and metallica spacey sounds. Now the singles in Paul Fireman sound pretty sick, the Area 67's i think, but they might even been a bit aggressive?

And lastly the neck position, this is where i play all my malmsteen stuff, so if anyone knows of any malmsteen-like humbuckers for that liquid tone, i would highly appreciate that?

So then the next question is about mixing pickups, If i'm just choosing pickups that sound good on others guitars, one would think that slapping all this in one guitar would cause some kind of sound mixing problem because you usually see these pick ups in a set of 3?

AND LASTLY... The neck on S470 isn't the thinest thing around and i'm just curious if there is a 22 fret presteige-thin (super thin) neck or am i well into my dreams now?

Thank you for anyone who reads through ALL of that and hopfully a couple of nice replies will come through to help me and future guitarists with my interests.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
OH, i'd also need F-Spacing for these pick ups wouldn't i?
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
neck - humbucker from hell / paf pro/ paf joe
middle - area 67/ virtual vintage blues / fs-1(i think this is the middle pickup in the jem)
bridge- evolution / evo2

and yes u need f-spacing, but only for the bridge pickup
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I'd be looking at Dimarzio too, every band you listed (I dont know about Dokken though) uses them. For a Dream Theater clean sound, you'll want to use the neck pickup, or the neck and bridge with a coil split so only the inner coils are used, John Petrucci doesnt have middle pickups on his guitars. If you want some really versatile pickups, check out his new signature Dimarzios; Liquifire and Crunch Lab, they are very versatile. I'm not really a fan of the Evo, its a bit harsh, but if you like it maybe that would be good for the bridge. For a nice liquidy neck pickup, the Liquifire, PAF Pro or PAF Joe would be good.
The Area 67 isnt really that aggressive, its how Paul uses it. They arent really hot pickups, but he uses distortion pedals in front of his Marshall to get a lot of gain.
I wouldnt worry about mixing the pickups at all, it should be fine.
As for the neck, you might be able to find an Original Wizard to fit your S, some of the older ones came with them. If yours is AANJ and you dont mind a tiny bit of woodwork, you can fit an RG550 neck (the old square heel ones only) to your S by cutting off the last 2 frets and re-drilling the screw holes. If you dont mind the neck being a little bit bigger than the heel (because it was meant for a strat type joint) thats a cheap way to do it. I cant even feel any difference on my S, which has an RG neck. Its your best bet for changing the neck, as the Wizard S necks are a bit rare and usually expensive, and RG necks are the same thickness, and are a lot more common.
This is what i'm thinking, after listening to all the sample in dimarzio's site like a billion times i'm thinking...

Neck: Humbucker From Hell (sounds nice with sweep picking)
Middle: Area 67 (sounds good clean and dist. and sounds very strat like)
BUT, the HS-4 (YJM) also sound very good, but no one plays em clean)
Bridge: Evolution (for screaming solos)

I think the Liquifire aren't liquidy enough (which i thought was odd?)
But if any more ideas pop up throw them at me.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Looks solid to me, and almost exactly what I was going to suggest.

The only thing I'd like to point out is that the Evolution is wayyyy hotter than either of the others. If balance is a concern I'd just get something that'll scream with a little less output for the bridge, I think you're spot on with your middle and front pickups. The Evo 2 is slightly less hot but that's pretty marginal, the Fred and more specifically the Mo Joe might balance better with the Area 67 and the Humbucker From Hell but still scream for ya.

I do want to throw out a suggestion though. Check out the D Sonic. I've been trying to pick pickups for planned guitars and I have been just listening to all the pickup's clips... listen to the Andromeda clip under the D Sonic. I'm at least 80% sure I creamed myself. It's going in my RRV.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Quote by julzius
I think the Liquifire aren't liquidy enough (which i thought was odd?)
But if any more ideas pop up throw them at me.

The demo on the Dimarzio site isnt just the Liquifire, he's using the Crunch Lab in the same clip, its the same as the Crunch Lab clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKJ5ZoUuOD0
Theres a good demo of both, the Liquifire comes in at 1:50. The Humbucker from Hell would also be good. I've read Petrucci actually used that instead of the Air Norton on some of the early DT stuff.
Last edited by littlephil at Dec 4, 2009,
The volume difference sounds like a good thing for soloing though? Cause that pick up is usually used for loud shreddin and solos.

But it could cause a problem in the mid-bridge position couldn't it? Would it drown out the middle pick up?
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp