So while learning the basic chords, im having a bit of sound issue... every time i play a chord my E string will keep making sound until i touch it to stop it... like if i play E or Em i play the chord once and then my E string (thick one) just keeps bibrating and making sound is this a noob thing?
Last edited by SuperMiguel at Dec 4, 2009,
This is what a guitar string does, especially the heavier ones, just mute it if you don't want it to ring out
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
Yeah just touch it with anything that stops it vibrating.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
If you don't want you E string to ring out then you'll probably wanna learn to mute it. Depending on the chord I'll use either my thumb or the tip of my index finger for muting.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Well... first of all, to play an E or Em chord you do play an E on the low E string (open 6th string). If the problem is that the note rings out when you try to play a different chord that doesn't include the E string or are switching to one that doesn't, then you have two options: Don't play that note or mute it with either of your hands.

Practice, you'll get it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Dec 4, 2009,
When you play a chord, deaden the strings you don't want to hear by allowing the adjacent finger to lightly touch the string you don't want to hear