I've been working on improving my alternate picking speed for about 2 months now. I started with 16ths at 60bpm and have gotten up to 100bpm. But my progress seems to have stagnated.

I was wondering, does it help to change up the exercise every couple weeks or so? Or is it better to just keep hammering on the same one. I'd like to get to 16ths at 140 - 160bpm.
change the exercise.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Forget it and work on something else, there's no point worrying about getting an exercise faster just for the sake of being able to to play that exercise faster.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Don't get stuck on that chomatic exercise. Vary your exercise playing as much as possible...that is, when you're focusing on technique. You can use bits and pieces of actual songs to enhance your technique.

Don't forget to make music, too.

*P.S. It is very common for players who use that chromatic exercise to get hung up around 100 BPM. That's what happened to me several months ago; I couldn't burn through 100 BPM with no tension. Lo and behold, I went on a trip overseas for 3 weeks with no guitar (it was torture). I came back home and burned through 100 BPM in one shot, landing at 112 in the same session. Go figure. Just get away from exercises for a bit, it will give your body and mind a rest.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Last edited by plainsight at Dec 4, 2009,