Greetings people of UG

So I came here 'cause I need some help: I have no knowledge of pickups and stuff so I have a possibly stupid and odd question to ask. I've got a guitar with a HH pickup configuration and recently I'm really hating the way the neck humbucker sounds, so since Christmas is coming up there's gonna be a nice discount at the shops so I taught this would be a perfect opportunity to buy a new one.

What I'm looking for is a humbucker for the neck position that has a (prepare for possible stupidity) sound similar to a single coil pickup that could be used for blues / rock kinda music . I know I'm not being very specific with my request but that's really the best I could describe what I'm looking for. I'm not really aiming for a specific sound as long as it sounds better than the humbucker I got at this moment (which isn't really meant to be used for blues). Price range - around 80 usd if possible. The body of the guitar is basswood if it means anything. Really hope someone can help me out!

Thank you in advance

EDIT: forgot to mention that ordering is not an option and I don't live in the USA so only widely available pickups are what I'm looking for
Last edited by borehk at Dec 4, 2009,
Could you not just buy a single coil pup and a neck pick guard and just cut the pick guard out to the single coil shape? I don't know the type of guitar though, like if it was a Les Paul. If this is the case, ignore me
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by borehk
Greetings people of UG

So I came here 'cause I need some help: I have no knowledge of pickups and stuff so I have a possibly stupid and odd question to ask. I've got a guitar with a HH pickup configuration and recently I'm really hating the way the neck humbucker sounds, so since Christmas is coming up there's gonna be a nice discount at the shops so I taught this would be a perfect opportunity to buy a new one.

What I'm looking for is a humbucker for the neck position that has a (prepare for possible stupidity) sound similar to a single coil pickup that could be used for blues / rock kinda music . I know I'm not being very specific with my request but that's really the best I could describe what I'm looking for. I'm not really aiming for a specific sound as long as it sounds better than the humbucker I got at this moment (which isn't really meant to be used for blues). Price range - around 80 usd if possible. The body of the guitar is basswood if it means anything. Really hope someone can help me out!

Thank you in advance

http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/hum90_alnicoWin.html

If you can stretch to $84 + whatever shipping is your search is over tbh... Without going to a Harmonic Design Z90 (major expensive and long waiting lists) you'll struggle to find a better sounding pickup in that style for less money!

Quote by jfreyvogel

Those are absolutely fantastic! But also $135... The VV above will be closer to a strat single coil sound (although still have a bit of p90 fatness) at $84.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Last edited by power freak at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by druggietoad2k5
Could you not just buy a single coil pup and a neck pick guard and just cut the pick guard out to the single coil shape? I don't know the type of guitar though, like if it was a Les Paul. If this is the case, ignore me

Sadly no. There's no pickguard on the guitar. It's a Jackson Dinky shaped guitar believe it or not.
Quote by power freak
http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/hum90_alnicoWin.html

If you can stretch to $84 + whatever shipping is your search is over tbh... Without going to a Harmonic Design Z90 (major expensive and long waiting lists) you'll struggle to find a better sounding pickup in that style for less money!

Those are absolutely fantastic! But also $135... The VV above will be closer to a strat single coil sound (although still have a bit of p90 fatness) at $84.

Cheers for the quick reply BUT ... One thing I forgot to mention :/ .I don't live in the USA and don't have a credit card so ordering is not an option. So the only ones that I could buy are pickups like Seymour Duncan and others available everywhere on the planet. Thanks again for the reply I'm really sorry I forgot to mention the most crucial detail in the whole story
Seymour Duncan SH-3. Coil Split it. Single-Coil sound when you want it, humbucker sound when you don't.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...