I have switched between the two and not sure I notice a big tone difference like eveyone says.
Do you notice any difference in tone between 9's and 10's?
Nope, none at all. String gauge really won't make much difference unless you're doing a big change like .09s to .12s.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
A little bit, it's not huge like some people say. Now if you went from 9's to 13's it would be a very noticable difference. Some people say they can tell the difference between monster and mogami cables and stuff like that. They are bsing.
Damn, Mr. Fibble beat me to my string jump example.
Last edited by lmihay at Dec 4, 2009,
Honestly when I went from .10s to .11s, I noticed a big tonal difference. Much fatter.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
I've not noticed a significant difference in tone when switching from .009's to .010's, and then from .10's to .011's. Rather, what does seem to change drastically is the unplugged and plugged-in volume of the guitar, with thicker strings being louder.
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Acoustic: Yes
When plugged in: I cant tell the diffrence really.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
yeah, quite a bit. though that might be psychological because of the feel, and the different feel may be making me play differently, too. but i can definitely notice a difference, whatever that difference is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It will feel thicker because you have to pick harder due to the thicker strings. It could possibly be just the fact you are picking harder.
The tone often sounds thicker, and nicer to my ears. However I feel the effect is lessened because at first most your concentration is spent acclimatising to the new strings.